“Staff made such a fuss of our children and they loved it”

Swissotel The Stamford Singapore
Ranked #69 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Arrived late at night, and we were offered the chance to upgrade to the Executive Floor, and I am so glad we took it. The lobby is not much to write home about, busy and in need of an upgrade, but apart from check in and check out, we didn't see much of it anyway. We had 2 double beds in our room (I'm sure thats what they were), we were told they were queen. But that is where my complaints stop. The view was AMAZING, we even had outside balconies (thrilling), and the room was very nice. The staff in the executive lounge were absolutely lovely, we had exemplary service every time we went in there, and they made our children feel extremely welcome. The staff downstairs also were always very helpful too. The location is fantastic, and very easy to get to the more touristy areas like Orchard Rd. We have very good memories of Swissotel the Stamford and would be happy to recommend it.

Room Tip: Higher the better for amazing views
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Welltravelledlady
Write a ReviewReviews (8,119)

Reviewed January 29, 2012

Stayed at the Swiss Hotel Stamford (Singapore) for 2 nights. My wife flew in from Hong Kong earlier in the day. When she arrived after waiting 15 minutes in the queue and went up to the room it was 2 twin beds! (Even though both of our names were on the registration ) and they also did not mention twin beds even though my wife told the front desk that I would be arriving on a later flight. She then called down and after a long wait got switched to a room with a King bed. The room was quite small ( I would say 11 ft wide by 12 ft long if I'm being generous, plus the entrance way and the bathroom) and it was very run down looking. Not at all what the pictures look like on the hotel website and certainly not 34 sq meters as the website says they are. No way no how.
My wife went out later and when she returned the TV was not working and had to call down to get that sorted , in addition there was kind of a funny smell. Also the PAY TV never worked in that room.
I arrived at 2:30 am , had 3 1/2 hours kip and had to head out. The shower is a tub/ shower combo ( no problem with that ) but the shower part is this cheap looking rubber hose that comes out of the wall. It had so little water pressure I could barely shower.

On my way out I stopped by the front desk and asked about the room ( it actually looked like a handicap accessible room) and I remember from previous stays about 5 years ago - the rooms being were quite nice. I asked if there was different type of room I could switch to. They said all the rooms were the same except for the suites. I had stayed in the suite before - so I asked how much it was to upgrade they said 290.00 SGD - I agreed and said my wife would call when she woke up and to please switch her then. I quickly signed a form and dashed out to make a tee time.
The suite is on the 66th flooor and is very very nice. Stunning views, BVGALRI products, Nespresso machine, Boise docking station. 3 Flat screens- you name it.

When I checked out - I said that's funny because I'm quite sure i was told 290.00. SGD. They apologized and made and adjustment. Then after check out I received a email stating that the pulled the form and it was 390.00 and taht they had gone ahead and charged my CC the extra 100.00.
My fault for not reading the form closely but I know what I heard. Its not the money as I would have upgraded anyway but it just feels as if they were trying to pull one over on us the entire stay.

The positives about the hotel are its location ; the SPA is good -albeit pricey and they have a very nice pool and decent gym. Breakfast buffet is solid but I would not say fantastic.

5 years ago I though this was a very good hotel, however in my opinion things have gone way down hill and it now has turned into a factory that caters to Airline flght crews.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank boomerusa
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We had a great time at the Swissotel; we stayed on 57th floor pre Christmas and 63rd Floor early New Year. The customers’ service at the hotel was second to none. The agent we booked the hotel through messed up our pre Christmas booking totally the reception desk, allowed us me to ring the UK using their phone to sort this out. Once the UK agent admitted their mistake we were given a room with an amazing view of the city that included Marina Bay Sands and the Singapore Flyer.

Our room was spotless and the bed was really comfy. The cocktails were excellent in the Equinox bar/club and the DJ from the UK played some great music. If I had to be picky I would say one of breakfast room was faded Ikea styling, not what I expected when everywhere else in the hotel was of a high standard. The breakfast served there was very good though.

Location: superb - We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor with views of Marina Bay Sands and the Singapore Flyer.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2012

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.
Our stay at the Swissotel The Stamford was truly a memorable,
The service was first class, and the staff were very friendly and helpful (Special Thanks to Mr.Adil Mubarak)
We stayed on the 51th floor with great view of Singapore !!!
The beds are very comfortable & clean, and breakfast was great.
I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MohsenID
Reviewed January 27, 2012

From the friendly, efficient welcome, to the fabulously comfortable, spotlessly clean room, the excellent location, the delicious breakfast, great gym, and the brilliant staff, this hotel was an absolute pleasure, especially after a long flight. Easy to get to/from the airport on the metro, walking distance to Chinatown, waterfront (Raffles hotel is next door) etc. Can't wait to stay here again and (obviously) would absolutely recommend this place.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
PriscillaOsman, Manager at Swissotel The Stamford Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2012

Dear MattBarcelona,

Warmest greetings from Swissôtel The Stamford, Singapore!

We are very pleased that you had enjoyed your stay so much, even more so when we learned you will choose us again for your next visit to Singapore. Thank you for sharing.

We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed January 27, 2012

Has as every Grandhotel in Singapore a huge shopping mall underneath and not really a nice lobby. The hotel is located very central, you can go everywhere by taxi or with the very clean tube. My room was very oldfashioned which was disappointing (lots of brooken things like lamp shades), but I heared there are others. The harbour view was aweseome. The bathroom was big enough with good storage, but not as clean as it should be, I found several hairs. The staff is extremly friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet extraordinary.
There seemed to be a private party from some teenagers on the second floor of the bar. The security there did treat us very brisk.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room! Be careful that you have harbor view, there are different room categories.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank hoteldiary

Dear hoteldiary,

Thank you for choosing to reside with us at Swissôtel The Stamford, Singapore!

We are delighted that you have had an enjoyable stay with us and are privileged to receive your precious feedback, however, we will not rest on our laurels and will continue to upgrade our guestrooms & furnishings. Thank you for letting us know about the bathroom condition, please accept our apology for your finding. Your comments have since been shared with Management.

We look forward to welcome you back again.

Reviewed January 27, 2012

I was here for 4 days for work. The good was: breakfast plentiful with good choices. The room is decent enough and very large with all the expected amenities from a large hotel. The view is amazing and you must go to the bar at the top. Location/transportation is easy and good. The not so good: The lift...it took forever to get a lift either to get down or up because there are so many floors and so many people. Also, although there were staff all over the place to help you, they were not always helpful. I find it very odd that you can not check in early and have a good place to relax and shower before your room is ready. Almost all flights arrive at dawn and the hotel is huge, so why can't they find a bit more space to accommodate those who arrive and feel awful after a long flight. I was told in advance there's the gym to take a shower but at the end, ended up in a very small hotel room with 5 other strangers sitting there waiting to use the one bathroom (a normal hotel bathroom with toilet/bath/sink in one room). Do you want to use the same foot mat after everyone else and who knows how many were before you. Eeeuww. After 15 min wait and the first person still in the bathroom, I gave up.

Room Tip: Ask for a view facing Marina Bay Sands! and on a high floor too. There's a huge different betwee...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Dear SharonNetherlands,

Greetings from Swissôtel The Stamford, Singapore.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We have since shared your views with all. We are pleased to learn of your 'good list'. As for the other, please accept our apologies for the not-so-favorable experience, especially in not being able to accommodate your early check in.

We hope that you will give us another chance to welcome you back during your next visit to Singapore to make it up to you.