“Suspicious and accusatory staff that ruined our special day”

Goodwood Park Hotel
Ranked #31 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My friend and I booked a Parklane suite for one night to celebrate our 30th birthdays together, and we splurged on the suite precisely because we wanted to invite a few (less than 10) friends over for a small intimate gathering with some food and cake and a few board games. We were not by any means planning to have a raucous noisy party with loud music or dancing, and none of our friends were intending to stay the night in the room (large as it was) which was meant to accommodate two. We just wanted to enjoy a short staycation and spend time with our friends.

However, as soon as the two of us stepped up to the front desk, we were greeted with suspicious glances at the food (actually only potato chips and a few bottles of drinks) and cake we were carrying, and the lady checking us in asked us immediately in an accusatory tone if we were planning to have a party and repeated sternly twice that it was not allowed by hotel policy, as if we were teenagers who were about to trash the room. She also asked us repeatedly how many people were planning to stay, especially after I asked her for car exit passes. At first she said she could issue me two passes, thinking it was my car, but when I told her it was for my friend coming later, she asked me again how many people were planning to stay, and did not issue me any car passes at all (though later my friend managed to procure two).

Later on that night, as we were enjoying our time together (eating and chatting, and not in raised tones), the room phone suddenly rang. It was someone from the hotel, presumedly someone in charge of security, who informed me that they had been watching the CCTV and noticed that many people had gone up to our room. He asked me accusingly how many people were in the room at that moment, and informed me yet again that parties were not allowed, and that all non-registered guests had to leave the hotel by 9:30 pm (it was shortly after 10 pm). I told him that only two of us would be staying over that night, and he asked whether my other friends would be leaving soon. After that call, as the hotel had no doubt intended, we felt uneasy and accused. Needless to say, the good mood was ruined.

In return for the hotel's suspicion, barely veiled accusations, and mood spoiling phone calls in the middle of the night, we helpfully bagged all our trash and placed it neatly together, washed all the dishes and utensils we used, cleared out the fridge, and wiped the dining table (which incidentally we found not wiped and with sticky stuff on it when we first checked in).

As for the suite itself, as other reviewers have mentioned, Parklane is situated away from the main hotel building, and lacks any sort of colonial charm whatsoever. The suite was not as roomy as the photos suggested, though it was sufficient. The furniture and decor were an odd mishmash of modern and traditional / old, as if the older furniture was being replaced gradually piece by piece over the years with no regard for overall continuity of design. There was no headboard over the queen size bed. Instead, there was a large black framed plastic "canvas" with a red peacock / chicken on it that was presumedly supposed to pass for modern art, but instead just loomed ominously over the bedroom and acted as an inconvenience to lean on when sitting up in bed. The dining table, as mentioned, was not terribly clean, and there was what looked like lizard droppings on a kitchen drawer. The bathroom amenities were frankly pathetic (I've seen better in cheap business hotels in other countries), consisting of one tiny tube each of shower gel, shampoo, and body lotion (no hair conditioner, and no travel toothbrush or toothpaste). The hair dryer was tiny, and there was yet another accusatory note tied to the velvet bag it came in, stating that the bag was not an amenity and warning guests not to bring it home. The windows, as others have mentioned, looked out on backlanes and the parking lot of the neighbouring building.

It is obvious from my experience that 1) the Parklane suites are definitely the poor cousin of the posher rooms at the main hotel building and 2) if you are planning to have a small gathering in your hotel room, you better not be Singaporean, because you are going to be treated with (frankly unwarranted and insulting) suspicion and accusations, despite paying the same premium for the room as foreign tourists. For a staycation or small get-together, there are definitely much better options for the price than hotel staff who obviously don't welcome you, and disappointingly middling room amenities. I understand why the hotel may have a no-party policy, but it would have been greatly beneficial to all parties (no pun intended) involved to state this clearly in the suite description to be reviewed by guests before booking, and also for their staff to handle matters in a more courteous manner, rather than treating guests like criminals and warning them that they are being watched.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank mooncookie
Linda W, General Manager at Goodwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear mooncookie,

Thanks you for taking time to share with us this valuable feedback.

I trust that our Front Office Manager, Mr. Mark Seah has been in touched with you to further discuss your concerns.

Once again, thank you for choosing us as your preferred choice of accommodation.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Accommodation in Singapore is not cheap, but Goodwood is competitive; rooms are fairly sized, it is convenient and exudes charm. Singapore is an Asian travel hub and I have researched and stayed in numerous hotels in Singapore but have ended up coming back to Goodwood. Convenient, not only for Orchard road shopping, but for the medical services such as Queen Elizabeth and Gleneagles hospitals as well as MRI and Physio centres, which are situated around the N end of Orchard road. So Goodwood's location allows you to nip back to the hotel in between shopping or medical appointments.
As this not one of those high rise hotels, the large pool gets a lot of sunlight and makes for a resort type feel but without the numbers, so popping back for a light lunch overlooking the pool away from the hustle of the crowds is a great advantage.
The Colonial feel to the hotel adds to its character and the staff round off a great stay with their friendly professional approach. Will be back.
Only niggle is the lack of free internet - however that is a Singapore wide problem.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Attapp
Linda W, General Manager at Goodwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Hi Attapp,

Thank you for taking valuable time to share with us your experience.

We are glad that the hotel’s convenient location, rooms, facilities and level of service were able to meet your expectations during your stay.

In regards to the internet charges, I would also like to share with you a good news that is with effect 1 June 2013, all in-house guests will enjoy complimentary internet connectivity (wired and wireless).

It has been a pleasure to have you as our guest and considering us on your next visit to Singapore. If we can be of help with your reservation, please do not hesitate to contact our reservation team at rmresv@goodwoodparkhotel.com. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

When we stepped out of our car at Goodwood I was excited to see the Grand old Lady, she looks delightful. On entering the foyer I wasn't disappointed, the charm was there in spades. Checkin was quick and efficient. The porter then took our bags and we proceded to follow him to our room. I was very excited to be staying here as it was a very important part of my trip to stay somewhere Colonial, with ambience, somewhere restful.......walking past the big pool I did notice that the lawn needed trimming and it looked a bit 'rough'. We continued, around the back near the kitchens and the staff areas, ' where are we heading???' next thing we were in a carpark, then crossing a road, then down into another carpark, finally arrived at a 6 storey building called Parklane, it had a few empty shops on the ground floor and workmen were painting the outside. I was getting a bit concerned, surely they have this wrong, I booked for Goodwood Park, what am I doing here? Up the elevator to the 4th floor and in we went. To say I was disappointed was an understatement. My agent had booked us a suite, this was not a suite this was an apartment and according to their pamplets, a place for long term guest, 6 days was my length of stay, hardly long term. Parklane had zero colonial charm and no ambience, the views over the carparks were depressing. The units are old but not in a good way. I went to the Balinese pool once, it was lovely and I was envious of the guests who were staying there, I felt like I wasn't a guest and I was just gatecrashing the pool and due to it being so far from my room I felt very uncomfortable walking through carparks and road, out in public in bathers and towel so I didn't use the pool after that. My plan was to enjoy the beautiful afternoon teas at the hotel but decided against giving the hotel anymore of my money considering I had paid top dollar for the warmth and charm of Goodwood and got the depressing coldness of Parklane. i regret staying here, it ruined certain aspects of my trip to Singapore and left me angry, upset and depressed. I can't give a review on what Goodwood was like as I don't feel I actually stayed there but Parklane, give it a miss unless you are a longterm guest and want to be away from everything.

Room Tip: Ensure you get a room at the actual hotel and not at Parklane u less you are a longterm guest.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Rachela C
Linda W, General Manager at Goodwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear monkeymania,

Thank you for taking time to share with us this valuable feedback and choosing us as your preferred choice of accommodation .

We are very upset to hear that your recent visit has fallen short of your expectations. Please be assured that this is not the usual standard which Goodwood Park Hotel strive to achieve.

We take feedback seriously and your recent experience is of great concern to us. Our Front Office Manager, Mr. Mark Seah had send you a private message to extend our sincere apologies and to allow us to address your concerns.

It is really through invaluable feedback from guest such as yourself that we can continuously rediscover ourselves and seek ways to upgrade our standards.

I hope to hear from you soon and you will allow us to have another opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed at the Goodwood Park Hotel four times over the last few years, the most recent 5/2013. Good things about the hotel:
1. Charming, historic hotel
2. Great location where you can walk to Orchard Road
3. For families, some rooms are suites overlooking a Bali style lovely pool. The suites have two full bathrooms and you can rent a cot for an additional charge.
4. Wonderful breakfast that was included with the room for two people. If you have a child with you, the breakfast is SGD $40 including tax and service. Megan, who is one of the staff in the restaurant, was lovely. She remembered our names and she provided excellent service.

Constructive Points:
1. A small point that I think would be welcomed. The hotel might consider including in the charge for the extra cot per child an additional SGD $40/night for the breakfast including tax/service fees instead of making the breakfast cost an extra out of pocket expense.
2. The room we stayed in is obviously not for one person. It has either two double beds or a ‘king sized’ bed with two full bathrooms. The hotel provides internet for one device (the other property we are in now gives us free internet on 4 devices and many give at least 2 devices). Why not charge slightly more for the room instead of paying extra for a second Internet? Small points. Now for the bigger points.
3. All the rooms we stayed in had a shower problem (so it seems this is a problem throughout the hotel or at least on the 2nd floor). The problem is a burst of boiling water that hits you every 30 seconds or so. We told the front desk the last three times we stayed here, but nothing changed and so they will either not fix the problem or they cannot fix it.
4. Their king beds/mattresses are what the hotel calls “Hollywood King”. A Hollywood King or Set (having lived in California, these are not found anywhere in Hollywood except maybe the cheesy hotels) is two twin-sized mattresses held together with a connector in the middle and a sheet. So, the middle is a hard higher divide, very uncomfortable. As an example, we are now staying at another property for the same price and they have a real king sized mattress where it is uniform across the mattress and there is nothing solid/hard in the middle. The front desk at Goodwood had an excuse every time why they could not change the mattress. The first time, we fought them and so they did change it to a full, normal king sized mattress, but who wants to fight. We were advised that next time we should specifically ask in our online reservations for a real king sized mattress and not the Hollywood King and they would put this preference down in our profile. We actually made the next online bookings with this specification (we remember for sure two times and maybe all three times). We even called ahead before arriving to confirm the mattress request – and in fact showed the front desk a copy of the print out when they said they could not give us a real king mattress because we never asked for one. Then, they made other excuses when, every time, we were given the Hollywood King. Here are the excuses we remember: 1. The hotel cannot change ours to a king mattress because other guests have the king sized mattresses in the hotel, 2. The room we are in doesn’t have a king sized mattress, 3. The front desk will put this in our profile, which they said they did all four times. Because of this one issue, we will not stay at this property again, which is too bad because we like the property’s other attributes. We kept going back because of the attributes in spite of this issue and fighting, but we decided it is now enough.

The hotel’s charm, location, breakfast, and pool are lovely and worth it unless you mind a divided bed, jumping away from the scalding water, and paying extra fees for internet and breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank arabellakline

Dear rhondacorey,

It is great pleasure to have you back with us for the fifth time.

I am glad that you enjoyed our hotel’s convenient location, facilities and also the service offered from our team members such as Megan who has left a positive impression.

We do however regret to hear that we have fallen short of your expectations in various ways. We have taken note of your concerns in regards to the extra bed and breakfast charges and we will review them accordingly to enhance the value offer to our guests.

As for the shower issue, this is of great concern to us and the Chief Engineer has been duly informed to check the water system and ensure the water temperature are kept consistent at all times.

I do apologise that we were unable to meet your requests during your stay despite the profile has been updated in the system. Our Front Office Manager, Mr. Mark Seah has been promptly informed and had send you a private message to extend his sincerest apology.

We do understand fully that our guests would require internet connection during their stay and I am pleased to share with you that with effect 1st June 2013, all in-house guests will be entitled to complimentary internet connectivity (wired and wireless) throughout their stay.

Thank you for your continuous support to Goodwood Park Hotel and taking time to write this review. We look forward to hear from you and welcome you back soon.

With Regards,

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We booked our room at the Goodwood hotel via Ebookers for a 4-night stay on a room only basis. Unfortunately we had a bad check-in after 14-journey from the Malaysian jungle which was down to one particular member of the reception staff. She could see we were tired but proceeded to offer complicated breakfast and internet packages with no clear pricing. We asked where we could get a coffee - the hotel guide stated the coffee bar is open to midnight - but all were closed by 10.30pm (surely she could have offered for a cup to be brought up!).

We were allocated room 455. I had emailed the hotel directly to ask for room with a pool view following other TA reviews and although I did not receive a reply, we were given an excellent room overlooking Mayfair pool in corner with its own covered balcony. This room is very comfortable, fair size with plenty of storage - but a bit stingy with tea/milk supplies (bought fresh milk from local 7/11 for duration of stay)! However what sticks in my mind is that everything was ‘charged for’ in the room with prices on everything, including a rather bad hairdryer and the box that the toiletries came in. The person that showed us to our room spent most of his time pointing out what was chargeable rather than useful things like how the TV works and a/c adjustment. It is also unbelievable in this day and age in an expensive hotel that there should be a charge for the internet at S$28 a day (about £15 with tax) - dreadful. There is no excuse for this, many hotels both expensive and cheaper DO NOT charge at all or at least are much cheaper.

The strong point of the Goodwood is that it is a character hotel rather than a characterless highrise and is in a good location, only about a 5-minute walk to Orchard MTR and all Malls in Orchard and Scotts Road. There are excellent breakfast places for those not on a package, particularly in Wisma Mall (accessed from Orchard MTR). We spent 3-days in Singapore and particularly enjoyed a visit to the night zoo and a more sobering but enlightening visit to Changi Museum.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Mayfair pool are nicest, beware of the internet charges!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EmmaDurnford

Dear EmmaDurnford,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us.

We are happy to know that you enjoyed the hotel’s convenient location to various shopping malls and the train station and that you found the room accorded to be comfortable with a pleasant view.

However, we are very sorry to hear that we have fallen short of your expectation in regards to the arrival experience, room amenities and the overall service standards. Please be assured that this is not our usual standards that we aspire to achieve and expect from our team members. The hotel’s management team concerned has been addressed to review the concerns raised to enhance our guest’s experience.

As for the internet charges, I would like to take this opportunity to share with you that with effect 1 June 2013, all in-house guest will enjoy complimentary internet connectivity (wired and wireless).

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

If you are travelling and wants to avoid the international large hotel groups. This is it! I have stayed here on a regular basis since 1995. Very friendly staff, good pool and a very good breakfast. It is close to communication, easy to access from airport and a few minutes from the shopping on Orchard Rd.

Room Tip: Try to get a room towards the pool. The backyards has a boring view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank HerrEgg

Dear HerrEgg,

It has been a great pleasure to have you with us on your recent visit to Singapore.

It feels good to know that your stay was a memorable experience and you enjoyed the exclusivity of the hotel’s location.

Thanks you for choosing us as your preferred choice of accommodation and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Yes it is not the newest hotel but it defenitely has it's charm. The colonial building style is charming and the service is very attentive. The rooms are spacious but a bit outdated - especiallt the bathrooms but from what I understand they are renovating rooms as we speak - so I will defenitely return to this place as the location is great!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank London D D

Hi Londondinu,

Thank you for choosing us as your preferred choice of accommodation in Singapore.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the hotel’s convenient location and the service offered by our team members were able to meet your expectation. We have taken note of your feedback in regards to the bathrooms and we will look into them to enhance the guest’s experience at Goodwood Park Hotel.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to welcome you back soon.