“Happy Visit .To Singapore”

Mandarin Oriental, Singapore
Ranked #15 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Happy Visit .To Singapore”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Very pleasant rooms overlooking the harbour. Superb breakfast buffet. Evening buffet also excellent and reflects the price in what is provided. Good variety of restaurants but some of them are a bit pricey.

1 Thank Bert_travels0208

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,092)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This hotel is way below the standards of a 5 star/Mandarin Oriental hotel. The check-in last night went quite quick (done in the room), but we were quite surprised as we walked into the hotel! Everything seems quite old and cheapely made. Our bed is ok, but the decoration of the room and halls alone is not one of a 5 star hotel - not at all comparable to MO in New York or Munich, where we have stayed. The bathroom is tight, has only one sink, shower cabin tiny and the finishing looks very old and poor. I think the whole hotel needs a complete make over!!!!! Also the service, which everyone seems to be praising about, is poor.

The breakfast has a great selection but again, the setting is horrible! You seat as if you are on the food court of a train station.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Gyn94
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My first impression when i arrived was "wow it was very crowded" However when i was introduced to the room It was a different experience. The service was good and the room was fantastic. Would love to go there back again. It was a five star hotel worth visiting again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Korea
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I would like to believe it is the time of year I chose to stay in the hotel. (This time of year many countries have school vacations.) I was there with family (3 adults) and as a result we had two harbor view rooms for 8 days. The view was spectacular especially at night. The public spaces were quite hectic from the lobby to the breakfast buffet. The rooms were clean but I had to ask for face towels on several occasions. The request was met promptly. The pool while beautiful was very busy (making seats hard to find) but the pool staff provided excellent service. My only big issue was with the spa. When I asked for the manager the situation was resolved quickly. The concierges were excellent and offered plenty of options for things to do. My final thoughts???? If you want to stay at this hotel and have options for what time of year do not go during the festive season (mid-Dec to Chinese New Year).

Room Tip: Don't go during December or January. Staff cannot handle the hectic crowds.
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

I am still staying in the hotel at a time a of writing
I have booked a 4 days package in a suite for 2000$ incl taxes
I have a baby of 6 months old
First suite was really noisy i asked to change
They told me if you want to change we have more expensive room your kind of suite is the last one available
Then after 10 minutes debating with them they found me the same room and shifted me..strange
I wanted to extand my room for one more night so i asked them to pay 500$ to stay in my room one more night
Answer:No you have to pay 680$
To do not have trouble with my baby i decided to stay in the same hotel and to book a smaller room which cost me 500$
To make short term money is good to satisfy customer it is better on the long run
I don t recommand this hotel

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Freds1983
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Probably one of the best hotels I've stayed in in Singapore. The housekeeping staff were extremely efficient and went out of their way to ensure we were comfortable and even made special efforts to take care of my son (lollipops, amenities etc)

Similarly the manager at the cafe also ensured we were well attended when some of our dining party opted for a la carte and the rest the dinner buffet by serving complimentary items for the buffet for the former whilst waiting for the a la carte meals.

One of the best breakfast buffets I have had in Singapore, caters for just about everyone - japanese, chinese, indian and american (even with a choice of crispy American vs middle rasher bacon!). All generally pretty authentic food except for the malaysian curry which was unusually average compared to the other food.

Room was large, spotless and well appointed. Pool is nice and has a separate area for small children.

Marina square shopping mall is just next door and easily accessible via a 2 flight stairwell just outside the entrance to the hotel.

Overall an excellent place to stay, I would definitely stay there again. Only issue would be if you are keen to shop on Orchard Rd - accessible by MRT station close by but a real pain at peak hour by Taxi.

1 Thank bananabok
Australia
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This is a live review.

I used to be a vocal advocate for Mandarin Oriental and have for numerous times in the past used the Mandarin Oriental brand as a benchmark of hotel service excellence. Sadly to say, what we experienced in the past few days shattered my trust in the brand.

On our day of arrival a message left by our friend was never received.

Then in the afternoon a fire alarm and evacuation announcement got us hurrying out into the corridor, only yo be told by our son in the next room that there is a message in the room saying it was a drill. Yet there was no such note in two of our three rooms.

The reception lobby was chaotic and was like a 3-4 star hostel rather than Mandarin Oriental.

The breakfast cafe Melt was run more like a packaged tour outfit. Tables were tightly packed and table clothes were so large that they threatened to trip you if you were not careful. Is this Mandarin Oriental?

Upon our return to our second half of our booking, we were told at 4:30 pm no rooms were ready. The front desk had no idea when rooms would be ready.

At last a room became available but it was a smoking room. This was later changed after some arm twisting.

However, when a second room was allotted to us it was another smoking room! It was becoming farcical.

So we waited till 6:50 pm to get into a room. We were told the luggage was already sent. Guess what? No luggage in the room. So we went down to the concierge to get them and got them delivered ...... Only with one missing.

Now at 7:30 pm we are still waiting for the remaining two rooms.

I understand hotels do have disastrous days like today. But the way such disasters were handled was what made great hotels.

Sadly to say, to me Mandarin Oriental Singapore is no longer in that category.

2 Thank Peter-the-Egg