“Great Location, wonderful staff, beautiful pool & room”

Mandarin Oriental, Singapore
Ranked #15 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed November 23, 2013

All the staff are wonderful and friendly. Always happy to hold a lift open for you, let you through doors first or "watch your step". Always ready with a smile and if they have the time (going up in the lift or at breakfast) ask you about your trip (holiday, special occassion, how many days etc).
We arrived early after getting off a cruise and the bell staff member was ready at the taxi to get our luggage despite how busy it was and when we returned later in the day to check-in properly remembered who we were and let us know our bags were in our room. I wish we knew his name because we were very impressed.
Room was large and I liked the relaxing music/tv channel that was on upon arrival. Shows the extra mile with the tv channel, bit like a screen saver.Bathroom was magnificent and I enjoyed the bath. We only booked a "Deluxe Room" for the one night and were on the 20th floor with a great view of Marina bay. Pretty certain we got an upgrade but not too sure.
The pool was magnificent! Beautiful tiling, cabana was very nice the first day when it was quiet. Could not fault it.
We had buffet breakfast that was delicious. Too much to enjoy it all in only one day. Loved the pancake/waffle station. Plenty of staff to replenish dishes. It was surprising that staff will get you juice refills, only a small thing but it is showing they go the "extra mile".
We didn't go to any of the other F&B outlets.
The hotel is well placed with a shopping centre next door, two MRT's within walking distance and downtown financial & many museums 10-15 min walk away.
If we are there again and wanting to splurge we will stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a high floor and you might get lucky like we did.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Rooms were a bit dark and uninviting but comfortable. Staff were both efficient and warm - nothing was too much bother. Locations is good. Personally, I find the adjoining Ritz Carlton to be a better choice in many ways. Still, you could do a lot worse and I found it good value for money.

Room Tip: I think the rooms facing the Marina Sands are probably a lot brighter and better.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed in this hotel the first time in 2002 (at that time it was still called The Oriental Singapore). The hotel has not change much since then (except remodeling the lobby interior couple years ago) and it is becoming a problem. Especially the interior is getting bit tired ... with some wear here or tear there and kind of obsolete (while 10 years ago it might have been top notch) ... it simply does not give the feeling of an ultimate luxury which is what you would expect from Mandarin Oriental.
Since my first visit I have stayed there 4 or 5 times and after the reserved room type was not available couple years ago I switched to The Fullerton (which - to be honest - also failed to meet the expectations in terms of accuracy of reservation twice).
This year I decided to give Mandarin Oriental another try ... and guess what happened. I booked a harbor view room with two beds many months in advance. I would not call myself a frequent guest but definitely a returning guest (because it was at least the sixth stay in this hotel).
I book the room many months in advance ... and we ended up in handicapped access room with vastly oversized bathroom (to accommodate a wheelchair) at the expense of a tiny room with two very narrow single beds, bare wooden floor (no carpet) and very simple furniture, no chair except a very small one at the work desk ... eh ... lets call that piece of furniture that way (below average Hampton Inn would seem to be a sheer luxury compared with this room). On top of that it was on a low floor ... and yes, it had the harbor view which is very nice.
Well, I understand that hotels need to have such room for those who were less fortunate than the others, I also understand that hotels may not afford to keep such rooms empty ... but charging the full price (almost 600 SGD incl. taxes) for a room sized as a prison cell (and without any specific decor) is a daylight robbery.,
Sorry, Mandarin Oriental, I am usually coming to Singapore twice a year and next time my 600 SGD will definitely buy something much better in one of many excellent hotels nearby. For that price one can still get a suite in many 5-star hotels in Singapore.

Room Tip: Avoid a room #710 ... but I am afraid there can be more such rooms on the 6th, 7th or 8th floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is excellent, including the fabulous pool area. Everything is of best quality and the service is as good as it gets.

The rooms are very appealing and the beds are wonderful. Also the whole design is very elegant and classy.

Absolutely recommendable, just the breakfast at 48 dollars is outrageous.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in November 2013 and loved the place. We had a really warm welcome and all of the staff were so friendly and helpful. What a stunning view of the Marina we had! You would be hard-pressed to find a nicer breakfast and we loved chatting to Wai Meng, our waitress, there. The swimming pool is lovely and we had a personal welcome on arrival. On the last day we were so impressed when we were given an extended check out and even a temporary room to freshen up later in the day. before returning to the airport, all for free. This was our first stay in a Mandarin hotel and certainly won't be the last...

Room Tip: Book early and ask for a harbour view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here and would recommend this hotel. Not quite 5 stars (I'll get to those reasons later). There were several things I really liked about this hotel. Harbor view rooms are quite wonderful. I could lie in bed, watch the light show, the boats and the sunrise - awesome! And worth the extra charge. I got a massage in the spa, which was good (not great, but good), the staff are very helpful and customer service oriented. The location is very convenient to all downtown areas. Hotel provided bottled water in room and a bottle of Arizona brand green tea which I appreciated after a long flight. There are several restaurants on site, of various price levels, typically one or more of them is open between 6am - 10pm. Lastly, the pool is splendid. I haven't given them 5 stars because, for the price point, I was disappointed in some things. For example, the lights wouldn't turn off in my first room so I had to move rooms which was a hassle. However they upgraded my room which was very nice. In my first night, at 3am, the clock alarm went off and I hadn't set it. It was incredibly loud. Needless to say, the alarm woke me up and I had to figure out what it was, where it was coming from and how to turn it off. I had so much adrenaline running through my body that I couldn't get back to sleep. My hear was pounding for an hour. I'm disappointed that the housekeeping staff doesn't check this when they reset the room. So although each situation wasn't a huge deal by itself, when combined all into one visit they were disturbing. All this said, I'll stay here again next time I'm in Singapore.

Room Tip: Harbor view if you can afford the upgrade.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

This was our first experience at a mandarin oriental hotel and it certainly will not be the last! From our check in which was done personally in our room, we were looked after extremely well. We had access to the club lounge which I highly recommend, the staff in there are excellent and should be highly commended for their high customer service skills. They made us feel very special since as celebrated our anniversary there. We used the pool which is amazing, the views and beds make it a very enjoyable stay. We ate at the restaurant outside by the pool and we had the best views of marina bay sands at night. We also ventured to marina bay sands up to the bar and club area which I highly recommend doing as its a short walk. I love Singapore and would stay at this hotel again

Stayed: July 2013