“Axis Bar - warm friendly service with chic style and refinement”

Mandarin Oriental, Singapore
Ranked #15 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“Axis Bar - warm friendly service with chic style and refinement”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Whether you want to savor an ice cold Vesper or sip a ginger tea, the Axis Bar offers friendly service with attentive style. The hostesses and staff never fail to make you feel like royalty. We always bring our friends to this bar to showcase one of Singapore's night time views. The complimentary hors d'oeuvres and small bite offerings are delicious. We recommend the trio of wagyu burgers and the crab cakes. Every cocktail is mixed to perfection and never disappoints. The wine list is first rate. Stay for the evening songstress and you will have a relaxing evening that perfectly ends your weekend. The Axis Bar is one of our favorites in Singapore.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,070)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed here for the last night of our honeymoon after traveling in Indonesia and Malaysia. I only wish we had stayed more than one night, the service was excellent from start to finish. We stayed in a club harbour room with great views over the marina. We ate at the cherry garden on the first night and even though we arrived at 10pm the service and food was impeccable
The club benefits were fantastic especially the evening cocktails, we had a late flight so the 6pm check out was a real bonus.
I know that the next time we travel to Singapore the Mandarin will be our first choice of hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Welshfox1982
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

First class experience and would highly recommend this hotel. Service was excellent and so was the suite. Very spacious, lots of closet space and 1 and 1/2 baths. Loved the breakfast buffet in Melt and had a delicious meal in Cherry Garden. The seafood hot and sour soup and the Chinese BBQ plate were excellent. Beautiful pool area and very convenient location. 10 min walk to Marina Bay Sands. Great to see this landmark but not impressed with their restaurants. I'd eat at the Mandarin before eating at the Sands.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you believe that you should get what you pay for, then you should have no problem paying a little extra to stay at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Singapore. Following a recent stay there, my wife and I came away feeling that it would be hard to have a better experience at an hotel.

The best place to start in praising the Mandarin Oriental, Singapore, is with the staff. Some hotels may have more interesting architecture, and well run boutique hotels hold unique charms, but for me the most important measure of any hotel is its service. To a person, the staff here were helpful and polite; attentive without being obstrusive. From the moment we checked in, it seemed that all members of the staff remembered our name, and made us feel that they were there for us. There were numerous little touches that were nice. One such: as we walked away from the hotel one day, it started to rain; we were about a half a block from the hotel, and turned around to go back and collect an umbrella, but there was a member of the concierge staff already head towards us, an umbrella in hand.

Our room on one of the upper floors was spacious and immaculate, and had a spectacular view over Marina Bay. The bed was comfortable, although our sleep patterns were a little disrupted by jet lag the first two nights.

The breakfast buffet and afternoon teas served in the Oriental Club on the 19th floor were wonderful and the atmosphere relaxed. Although we did not use the restaurants on the fourth floor, it seemed that each evening the groups at the Morton's bar were invariably having a great time.

The pool is quite nice, and I found that a morning swim was a perfect way to start each day. IF you can drag yourself out of bed to get poolside before 8 o'clock each morning, you can sit back on a chaise-lounge and sip coffee after your swim at a time of day when it is still cool enough to be thoroughly pleasant.

My wife came back from the spa one afternoon so relaxed that it was difficult getting her ready for dinner. If I had any quibbles about the facilities, it is that the fitness centre was so chock full of equipment that there was very little room for any stretching, or exercises that do not require equipment. One could go outside to the yoga platform, I suppose, as long as there were no yoga classes going on at the time.

Chinatown, Little India, Bugis Street, Arab Street and the Shoppes at the Marina Bay Sands are all within walking distance of the Mandarin Oriental, but make sure you spend some time studying a map before starting out. Streets in Singapore do not seem to run true, and several appear to have name changes part way along their length. One Singaporeans told me that even the locals tend to ignore street names and tend to navigate by landmarks. That would seem a difficult prospect in a city where changes to the skyline seem an ongoing feature.

In the end, the question for me about the Mandarin Oriental is not so much if I would stay here again, as it is one of when I will. We will be back, sometime.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room on the Marina side, and ask about the Oriental Club privileges when booking.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WDTVancouver_Canada
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Mandarin Oriental for three nights recently.... Awesome stay. Got two Club Harbour rooms facing the Flyer and Sands hotel. Lovely amenities such as slippers, free coffee and TWG tea, fruits, good quality towels.... Etc. the bed was amazing, even better than the ones I enjoyed at Marriott and Intercontinental. Literary, fell asleep within seconds. The room also had a DVD player and a huge flat screen TV.

The breakfast buffet was good, not the best I have had but decent. Good selection of breads, fruits, hot and cold plates. Fresh juices, unlimited.... Good services. However, coffee and cappuccino were better at the club lounge.

The club lounge was good value. Spent at least 8-10 hours within the four days and three nights period. Good service where the staff remembers your sitting preference and your names. Didn't try the breakfast as My family preferred a greater selection. Afternoon tea was good. The evening cocktails and snacks were better... Can definitely fill you up.... Only need a light dinner afterwards. Atmosphere was perfect for relaxing and light chats.

Would definitely stay there again if we visit Singapore again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

I had two stays at the Mandarin back to back. I flew down from Malaysia for 5 working days, and then made a trip back to KL over the weekend, only to fly down the next 5 working days.

The biggest 'issue' I had was that they allocated to me two single beds on both occasions. Not something I usually kick a fuss about, but this happened to me for both stays and I was reasonably upset.

The service is typical of Mandarin Orientals (which means they're great) but overall there were some shortcomings I couldn't look away from. Mainly my issue with the beds, but other smaller things like the Laksa I ordered for room service one night was quite possibly the worst I had ever eaten, which is strange because the Kerala curry I order the week before was pretty good. WiFi experience was also a bit suspect, but overall it was accetpable.

Location isn't really an issue anyway in SG if you're willing to take the cabs, and the cabbies do regularly come to this hotel, so you're unlikely to wait long.

Now onto the good stuff, the hotel staff were good and very pleasant. The breakfast spread is nice, and I especially like the pastries in the morning. The pool side has some nice tables to have a relaxing mid-morning meeting in the open air (always recommended), and the hotel itself feels quite elegant and nice (although I was never a fan of the dimly lit hallways).

Not to bad, but it depends really on what rates you get for the hotel, it may be a bit over the top if you pay regular walk in prices, but my corporate price was pretty decent if you ask me.

Overall though, the experience was just average but you can't go wrong with the mandarin oriental though.

Room Tip: WiFi on the 6th floor was pretty good, the higher up you go, the less good it gets I hear. However...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Keith R
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

For the steakhouse on the 4th floor too, arguably the best in the region. Atrium inside is wonderfully designed and lighting subtle and classy. The interior and view out to the main shoreline from the Axis bar lounge is stunning. My top 7 in the globe, great to be back after 5 years.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo