“BEWARE! Hotel is known for check-in problems - no room or no extra beds! BE CAREFUL”

Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay
Ranked #77 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Families - please take note and read all the negative reviews on this hotel. I read a few of the negative reviews but I disregarded what was written, thinking that other travelers simply had bad luck. I have since found out that it is not bad luck, room problems with this hotel is normal and an everyday occurance.

Anyway, here is my story and if you compare it to the other reviews, it's exactly the same experience! Problems with getting:
(a) the room you booked (& paid for)
(b) getting INTO the room you booked
(c) getting extra beds into the room for your children (even though you had already asked for extra beds when booking)

Ware a family of 4 (2 adults & 2 young children) We had pre-booked and prepaid our 'Executive Room' because the website says it accommodates "up to 2 adults and 2 children' with one king size bed and 2 singles for the kids.

We arrived at night, around 1.30am. The kids were overtired and exhausted as they could not sleep on the plane. We arrive at the front desk and got our room key. We arrive at the room, ready to crash out but notice that there are only 2 single beds in the room and nothing else!

I call downstairs to tell them that I asked for the Executive Room (i.e. 1 King Bed & 2 singles) The idiot replied "Oh, you didn't tell us so we didn't know what you wanted, so we just set up the room with two single beds"
I was furious as I had a print out of what I booked and it specifically said that we were a family of 4 etc.

Anyway, the ditz then fumbled around and said that she would send up an extra two beds asap. [Mind you, the room was very small and they were going to fit another 2 single beds into the room? That means they were planning to put 4 single beds into one room. But, alas, I was tired, and any bed was better than nothing]

So, we started unpacking our suitcases and I tried to get the children to sleep whilst we waited. However, after 20 minutes, still NO extra beds. I call down to the reception again and ask about the whereabouts of my bed. The ditz then says to me "oh, we decided to move you to another room which is already set up with the King sized bed". Then I freak out. We had just unpacked two suitcases full of clothes and now she wants to move us. She could have told me earlier!

So, I go downstairs to speak to the imbiciles face to face. I am very angry by now. Then "Meng" at the front desk sees me approaching and he says in Chinese "oh, here comes a mad crazed woman" Little did Meng know that I know how to speak Chinese! I was FURIOUS. But lucky for him, I held my tongue for fear of being escorted out by security as I am not an unreasonable woman, all I wanted was a bed to sleep in!

So, another girl gives me the key and we move to another room. We arrive and it has one King sized bed and one sofa bed. Oh my God, we are STILL short one bed. I freak out again and go downstairs again to speak with the Duty Manager now. I tell her the problem. She says she will get a
bed to us asap. I return to the room and we wait another 5-10 minutes and the beds arrive, finally we can sleep.

After all this, NO ONE even apologised or even followed up on our check in problems. It is the worst customer service we have ever experienced. Very very disappointing for a 4 star hotel.

The worst part is that this is a constant problem in the hotel. Whilst we were there we met two other families who were also having problems. One Indonesian family had to wait one hour for their room to be ready (check in wass 12.00pm and they arrived at 3.00pm) They were offerred a smoking room which they declined as they booked a non-smoking room. The poor family had to wait all this time and on one even offered a complimentary drink or meal in the adjacent bar/cafe. Not even a sorry was muttered from the Novotel staff.

Another family we met from Spain arrived late afternoon and found out that their room also did not have the requested extra rooms they booked. We all later found out that the hotel does not put in any extra beds until you CHECK IN.

Therefore, you have been warned. If you are checking in during the day, then be aware. If you are checking in late at night, with kids, then please don't stay at the Novotel. There are plenty of other good hotels out there.

May the force be with you.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank beryl_be
NovotelSingapore, Manager at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2010

Dear beryl_be,

Thank you for the feedback in relation to your stay with us at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay. We are concerned on reading your comments and would appreciate if you could contact the hotel directly at H5993@accor.com so we can investigate, follow up and also clarify some details further in relation to your stay at the hotel.

Quality Service Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (6,333)

Reviewed August 22, 2010

As previous reviews have mentioned the check-in service is shocking. We arrived at 10:15pm did not get a room till 11:30pm, offered a non-alcoholic drink. Also a dinner but the restaurant was closed. We did get a dinner the following night - but we had to ask for it. The key cards did not work - back to reception. The luggage did not arrive - rang receptio but no answer so back to reception.
The check-in is obviously an ongoing issue, when you arrive at a hotel after a flight you want to relax, especially at that time of night, when we were there, there were about 6-7 groups affected by having to wait, the next night another line of people.
Booked a twin bed room - none available. King size bed - nope. My husband has a medical condition which makes sharing a bed extremely difficult, first night I slept on the floor!!!. 2nd and 3rd nights fortunately he was a bit better and we shared the bed.
Would I stay again - no not even if paid to. Did I complain - a little but even I could see that the situation was out-of-control.
But we loved Singapore - so do go there just don't stay at the Novotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
NovotelSingapore, Manager at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2010

Dear AstridBarr,

We appreciate hearing feedback from all our guests as this allows us to improve the quality of our products and services in order to better meet the needs of our guests.

Concerning the long check-in period for your room, we sincerely apologize and will take the opportunity to address with the Front Office team on how they can improve their service as part of their ongoing training and development programs. We certainly take your feedback seriously as part of our continuous improvement process to meet and exceed the expectations of all guests.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope to see you next time you visit Singapore and our hotel again.

Reviewed August 22, 2010

I had booked a room with a king size bed, and specified I would be arriving very late. I am an accor platinum member and I expected better service when I arrived and was told there was only a twin room available. I was not happy. Eventually a room was found with a king size bed, but the staff were less than helpful, which you dont want after a long flight. The rooms are disappointing, with chip board furniture, with old bathrooms. The service on the club floor was much better than the check in in the lobby.

I expected better for the price I payed.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mjb30

Dear mjb30,

We very much appreciate your comments via TripAdvisor regarding your stay at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay.

We will take the opportunity to address with the entire Front Office team on how they can better serve the guests as part of their ongoing service training and development programs. We apologized for the condition of the rooms and would certainly take your feedback seriously as part of our continuous improvement process to meet and exceed the expectations of all guests.

Reviewed August 19, 2010

We stayed three nights at the Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay the end of July 2010. My first comments will be strictly about the hotel which is in a fantastic location in the heart of dinning/entertainment options, boat trips on the river and near the Chinatown MRT. Within walking distance is both Chinatown, the business district and waterfront. Because of a hotel reservation mistake, our room was not available upon arrival at 2am, so we were upgraded to the Premium Floor with privileges in the hospitality suite. The room was clean, well appointed with good amenities, a flat screen TV, average size. The bathroom had slow drainage and you couldn’t open the balcony door; they are kept locked. Buffet breakfast was included and you couldn’t ask for more options both Asian, Malay and Western food. They even offer ice cream for freshly made waffles. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for it’s fantastic location and rooms. Booking the hotel and their reservation management is another story. I booked online via their website one room with a “special package” which included free internet and “valuable coupons”. I had to cancel the first booking which is very straight forward on their website and provides a confirmation number. I rebooked another room with single beds. PTD I emailed the reservation manager to make sure they noted our early morning arrival (we booked the night of July 29th, but actually arrived July 30th at 2am) and requested information on how to book the “special package” city tour and night safari. Because of our arrival time and limited time to see the city, we needed to have our activities organized to make the most of our time. I received an email back noting our arrival time and no further information, so I emailed the reservation manager again asking to have the requested information available at check-in, but never heard back. Upon arrival at 2am, there was no information as requested, the room we booked was not available and they had not cancelled the first booking I made, so we had two rooms and neither had single beds. It took them over an hour to straighten out the list of problems and put extra beds in the one king size bed room. In the morning we had to pack up and check out because that room was promised to another person! This is why we were upgraded, which I believe was reasonable compensation for our inconvenience. The next morning I provided copies of the canceled room confirmation and my emails to the reservation manager that had gone unanswered, so our reservation could be corrected by check out the next day. When we checked out the following day, they STILL attempted to charge us for the second room that I had canceled on the internet and provided them with a copy of the confirmation! So if you decide to stay at the Novotel, book with care as they seem to have an inept reservation manager! Otherwise, this hotel is in a great location.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank AnnArborMHT

Dear AnnArborMHT,

We will take the opportunity to address with the entire reservation team on how they can better serve the guests as part of their ongoing service training and development programs. We are delighted that our hotel location has served you well. Our strategic hotel location in the heart of Clarke Quay offers guests to take advantage of only moments away from an array of bars, clubs and restaurants to choose from.

Reviewed August 19, 2010

Sadly, when I booked this hotel on line, I did not have time to read others reviews, otherwise I would not have touched it. It seems there is a large problem with guest flow, that is, late check outs, and overbooking, leading to he inevitable block at the check in counter. Check in is supposedly at 2pm. We arrived after a very long 26 hours of traveling from Oxford, to Heathrow, to Singapore. It was 8 pm. After playing with the computer for 20 minutes and repeatedly telling me there was no problem, it seems there was a large problem. Yes we had a room, but sorry, they did not have king bed as booked ( and paid), and we could not move into our room until 1130 pm. !! We were given an offer of a complimentary soft drink and a free dinner whilst waiting. At this stage eating was the last thing we could face. We were offered an upgrade to a suite the next day , as we had booked for 2 nights. Whist waiting for our room to be ready, 4 other couples were in heated negotiations with management re delay to check in.
We did move into our suite at 4 pm the day after, and it was lovely. However overnight, a shocking sewrage smell developed, and persisted. By this time we were too exhausted to complain and simply put up with it. I saw loads of dirty dishes sit for 2 days at the poolside bar. Never moved or cleaned. The bar was closed the whole time we were there. Never again. This hotel needs work, it is dated, and inefficient. Many of the staff seem to stand for hours doing nothing.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Topender1

Dear Topender1,

We understand your disappointment for the long waiting check-in period and the condition of your room. We will take the opportunity to communicate with the entire team on how they can improve and serve our guests better. We sincerely apologize and would certainly take your feedback on board as part of our continuous improvement process.

Reviewed August 17, 2010

The hotel was not up to the usual Novotel standards. The rooms need renovating but were still clean. Beds are very low. the position of the hotel is excellent. Clarke quay at your door with plenty of restaurants and some shopping. The metro is nearby (5min walk). Service at hotel was appalling. Like they didn't want to be there. Duty manager was excellent and met all our needs. Would not stay here again as the value for money was not good nor was the service.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Imir

Dear Imir,

We will take the opportunity to address with the entire team on how they can better serve the guests as part of their ongoing service training and development programs. We are delighted that our hotel location has served you well. Our strategic hotel location in the heart of Clarke Quay offers guests to take advantage of only moments away from an array of bars, clubs and restaurants to choose from.

Reviewed August 14, 2010

We got in from a 4am flight from Perth and we were told that our room wasn`t ready. we had to sleep in the lobby until 6am (there was the European Ash cloud going on then and they had given our room to someone else who couldn`t get back to Europe)

We finally got into a room, but it wasn`t the one we booked (at least it was something) we slept until 8am, then went down to breakfast and the manager gave us a free buffet dinner and we got the room we booked. Our kids slept on fold outs(9 & 11 yrs) and we had the double. The view was lovely and was of Fort Park. The bathrooms are average size and they worked fine. The kids enjoyed the pool as it was up high

We were very close to Orchid Road and walked everywhere. Clarke Quay at night is full of atmosphere and the kids enjoyed the lights and the boats. We had a shopping mall right next door with Subway, Starbucks, a food hall in the Plaza with Japanese.

Good location and right price. We would recommend to families.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank esther1867

Dear esther1867,

Novotel is proud to be a family-oriented hotel and our Family@Novotel policies reinforce this with special features and offers for families such as accommodation and breakfast are free for two children under the age of 16 staying in their parents' or grandparents' room and having breakfast as a family. Our strategic hotel location also offers guests to take advantage of only moments away from Clarke Quay and the bustling shopping belt of Orchard with an array of bars, clubs, restaurants and shopping malls.