“Handful of flies in your room, can you believe that?”

Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay
Ranked #74 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
“Handful of flies in your room, can you believe that?”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed there during Dec for a weekend trip to attend to a wedding. The location is great with a lot of happenings around. However I was with my 2 small kids so it didn't really matter to me...

We requested a connecting room so it will be easier to take care of the kids obviously but then the doors couldn't be opened. We called the Front Desk asking for help but nobody came to help until we had to leave the rooms - we can't just stay there half a day and wait for them to fix something can't we? So we left the room assuming the doors will be fixed by the time we came back from dinner. Then funny things happened... Obviously we came back after dinner and the doors were still not fixed! Okay so I had my wife to call the Front Desk again while I went and take a shower with my son. Then there was a tiny fly flew by my eyes and I was like "Holy cow there was one fly...". AND THEN, I looked up the ceiling and there were like 20-30 more flies walking on the ceiling!!!! I immediately closed the bathroom door and worried that the flies will go out to the bedroom but it was too late already. There were some of them on the bed and on the ceiling already so we called the Duty Manager and told her something is definitely not right for this room. A lady picked up the phone and she said she will send someone over. So we waited and waited for 10 minutes, it was getting late the the kids are getting sleepy. I called again and she said someone was "on his way". Okay so I waited for another 10 minutes and then a staff showed up and he said he was there to fix the connecting rooms door!!!! OMG I told him there was a bigger problem now and I showed him where the flies were. He told me calmly that there was nothing he could do when I requested a room change. So he left, I called the Duty Manager again and I told her she has under estimated what was happening in the room and I requested her to come to see things herself RIGHT AWAY. Obviously she did not show up until another 10 minutes later. I was dead tired by then and I didn't have any gas left in the tank to argue with her or to ask for any kind of compensation. I just asked her to please switch the room for us - which her did except it was not a connecting room, but by then who cares right... At least my new room is flies free... Yay....~

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Thomas L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (959)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We decided on Singapore as a venue for my wife's 60th birthday. Booked through Accor as I am a business customer. Rates OK for high season. Our experience at the Novatel Clarke Quay was very mixed and contrasts with other stays at Novatel and IBIS in the past 12 months. On check in, we were unable to use our Visa debit card as a "extra guarantee" despite the card having been used for full payment before arrival. An SG800 cash deposit was required with final refund in SGD- CRAZY! Our annoyance was offset by the arrival of a birthday cake next morning PLUS marks to front desk staff.
We had booked 2 rooms (11th floor - one was satisfactory and the other terrible. Air conditioning was barely functional, fridge was best described a cool and definitely no good for beer. An unpleasant smell also noticed whenever the room was left for anytime without the bathroom being used. (water trap leaking possibly making the pipes open)
The location is fantastic being alongside the Clarke Quay dining and club area - fabulous food and great atmosphere. Short walk to MRT. The only negative was some musical thumping until late. Pool good and general service OK.
After a busy 2 days I asked to have the fridge, air con and smell investigated and corrected. On late arrival after the night zoo it was obvious the someone had opened the fridge, but nothing was changed - another hot night!
After complaining again, we were promised new rooms when we returned later that day. The rooms were not available until about 8pm and so delayed our meal that night. The new rooms on the 19th floor were as expected, and apart from some minor plumbing issues satisfactory. Overall we enjoyed our 8 days in Singapore, but I felt that I was paying Novatel prices for an old IBIS standard venue. We will return to Clarke Quay and have already checked out alternative, similarly priced hotels in the area and will not miss the Accor points!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The location of the hotel is excellent being at Clarke Quay with so many restaurants available. China Town and Orchard Road are only minutes away by MRT. The hotel has excellent facilities for businesss and pleasure and the friendly staff add to the whole pleasure of staying at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Queensland
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Novotel always lives up to their reputation. Only complaint this time is we were put in a room on the 9th floor right next door to their renovations. We woke up to jack hammering and it continued all morning! The hotel must have been full for them to use that room but I think we should have been warned and compensated. Other than that, the room was lovely, beds comfortable and we would stay again.

Western Australia
Reviewed January 12, 2013

My family (2 adults & 2 children) recently stayed here, the location was good -lots of taxi's around and close to the MRT. When booking extra beds were requested for the kids, upon checking in we were informed that we could have one extra single bed for free but would have to pay an extra $60 for an extra bed, we ended up having one child in the king size bed. WiFi is available at $28 a day! However they do provide free computers in the lobby area, there is usually a line up for these.

Hotel was clean and comfortable, there were some renovations going on our level - these didn't bother us at all though. Booked room when accor was having a 50% off sale so the room ended up being good value for money.

2 Thank melandmatt2
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Singapore is expensive however the Hotel is tired and decor just doesn't seem to work. Staff in lounge were very helpful. Position not near good shopping. Next time probably would stay at Airport eg. Crown Plaza for just one night in the middle of a long flight. Have just returned from 10 weeks away having to go in and out of Singapore 4 times. Stayed at the Changi Village Hotel. Expensive and ordinary. Once again staff very helpful. Some restaurants were charging $11 for a cup of tea!!! Therefore am over Singapore after being there many times.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple