“Standard Business Hotel”

Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay
Ranked #77 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I have long thought that Novotel's standardized product is a decent one, if a little soulless, but I was surprised to come across a Novotel that looked like the standard product but lacked the software. A-Club premium members are invited to queue for check-in at a designated part of the counter and despite originally being the only person waiting 2 others who came after me were served first which right from the get go made me question why a hotel would pretend to value loyal guests? The rooms are standard Novotel rooms with perhaps the biggest deviation being the slightly older-styled bathrooms. But otherwise the room is practical if not comfortable. Room service is a waste of time - you're better off heading downstairs to the adjoining shopping centre or across the road to Clarke Quay for food. Staff at the bar seemed uninterested in getting people to pay their bills and if it wasn't for me mentioning my drinks when I checked out they would have been on the house. For anyone considering staying here I would wait for Accor to install automated check-in/out machines and a conveyor belt style room service system before trying this hotel as the only thing preventing it from being a real 'Novotel' is its people.

...or perhaps Novotel Clarke Quay just has different values from me?!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank LuxeTravelerHK
NovotelSingapore, Quality Service Executive at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sparing some time to pen down your reviews regarding your recent stay in Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay. We are sorry that we were not able to meet with you desired level of service; please accept our sincerest apologies.

At Novotel, we strive to provide the highest service excellence to all of our guests; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We do take note of your dismay in regards to the service shortfall that you have received from some of our staffs. You can be assured that I have since forwarded your feedback to the relevant department managers and appropriate steps will be taken to ensure the systems are put in place to improve and fulfill valued guests services. You can also be assured that the team will focused to deliver guest expectations effectively and in timely manner. If need be, training will be provided as well.

We do hope that the glitches you have experienced have not fully tarnish your views towards Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay. May I take this opportunity to have you contact me personally at : H5993-FO23@accor.com , so as allow me to discuss the above issues with you; in hopes that I will be given the chance to work on regaining your confidence towards the Hotel.

We thank you again for giving us your feedback and we look very much forward to hearing from you soon.

Should there be any further assistance that you may require, please feel free to contact us and we will be delighted to be of service.

There are newer reviews for Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed at the Novatel Singapore Clarke Quay which is situated in a wonderful area with plenty of shopping, first class restaraunts and places of interest.
The hotel was clean, theservice aws great and the restaraunt very good.
I can recommend it to anyone who wants to stay in that part of Singapore and not in the town centre

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay during your recent visit. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we are delighted to know that your stay has been successful.

I will certainly share your comments with the rest of the team and I am sure that this will serve as an encouragement for our staff to continuously strive for the highest achievement.

Thank you once again for taking the time to pen down your reviews regarding your stay at Novotel Singapore.

It is our hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

South facing rooms have an excellent vew of Marina Bay Sands and Clarke Quay; seventh floor lobby is odd; waited long for luggage; having to write 200 characters will discourage me from another review

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We visited Singapore mid November. We booked via the Accor website. The instructions were to "present the booking number and the Accor card" when we arrived.

When I arrived for the check-in, the front desk staff was less than friendly. Waited for a while and when it was my turn, no smile, no apologies for the wait. Just "Your Passport please". When I said I have a booking number, he curtly replied "I still need your passport" without even glancing at my booking number. Though the Accor website package purchased stated a Queen bed, he told me they were "out of Queen beds" but can give me an upgrade to a bigger room, but 2 Singles. No real explanation as to why they were "out of Queen beds etc". When I enquired when will one be available, he said "none". Ok, so at this point, it gets rather uncomfortable. I have been on the road for 5 hours (since 9am from KL), I am tired, I want to go to a room. So I settled for the 2 Singles. Again, Mr "Em-not-so-friendly-elle", asked for my credit card, didn't bother to look at the Accor card (that was next to the credit card), then curtly returned my card back tucked between his index and middle finger mind you, which I think is rather unacceptable for hotel staff to do as this can be misconstrued as rather rude body language. How I wish I can show it to you guys right now...

There was also meant to be free onsite parking, and he never once asked if I was driving, but rather I had to request for the parking, and he just almost "tossed" me the parking book and said "sign here".

By this time, I pretty much had it with this guy and was already mentally making up my mind to lodge a complaint.

You know that feeling, where the other person is not "rude" but it's obvious he DOES NOT want to be there, let alone serve you happily. Yeah, one of those.

Anyway, after reviewing our room, we were rather unhappy as we really wanted the Queen bed. We went downstairs and LUCKILY, we were greeted by a very friendly, warm and smiling face. This lovely person was Ms Reginy (sp), and she was literally the saving grace from an unpleasant experience. She didn't know who we were, where we were from, but she was genuine with her smile and courtesy, that it really just brightened up our day. When we told her we were not happy with our room, she had no problems changing our room to a King bed without any fuss. She was also helpful and very chatty. Basically - THIS IS what hotel service is all about. Seriously, if you had a CRAP hotel, but you have such amazing staff, your customers will appreciate it. If you were Novotel, which is a great hotel, but you have lackadaisical staff, it's just as bad as having a crap hotel.

If it wasn't for Ms Reginy, rest assured I think our hotel stay would be less than satisfactory.

Beyond that, I found the room service staff to be really friendly, and always ready to smile. The beds were very comfortable, the sheets were great. The lighting in the room was spot on too. Very comfortable without being too bright or too dim.

Novotel Singapore, please let your front desk personnel know that SMILES ARE FREE. And if you can't smile, don't be in this industry. Please note that it was the staff whose name starts with an E who was the one serving us.

On our last day, we caught up with Ms Reginy again, and had a nice little chat with her. Again, she was very friendly and warm, so we would like to extend our thanks to her.

Because of her, we will definitely come back to the Novotel again. If you guys do drop by to the Novotel, ask for Ms Reginy :)

-Miss Chris-

Room Tip: There's a nice mall at the bottom of the hotel called Liang Court. Check out the basement for au...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
NovotelSingapore, Quality Service Executive at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear Miss Chris,
Seasons Greetings from Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay!
Thank you for making us your choice of accommodation during your recent visit to Singapore. It was a pleasure having you as our guest, and we appreciate you taking the time to pen down you reviews on Tripadvisor. We are sorry that we were not able to meet with your desired level of service; please accept our sincerest apologies.

At Novotel, we strive to provide the highest service excellence to all of our guests; therefore, your feedback is very important to us. It is to our great dismay to learn that you have had a disappointing experience with our staff at the front desk; you can be assured that I have since forwarded your feedback to the relevant department managers and appropriate steps will be taken to ensure the systems are put in place to improve and fulfill valued guests services. You can also be assured that the team will be focused to deliver guest expectations effectively and in timely manner, if need be, the team will be provided with appropriate training as well.

Miss Chris, we do hope that the service shortfall you have experience has not completely tarnish your views towards Novotel Singapore. Please be assured that this is not the kind of standard we aspire to achieve. Thus, may I take this opportunity to have you contact me personally at : H5993-FO23@accor.com , so as to allow me to work towards regaining your confidence in us.

Thank you again for your kind feedbacks, we look forward to hearing from you soon. It is certainly our hope to serve you better in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards,
Quality Services Executive

Reviewed December 1, 2012

liked how we were greeted,conducted,
cleanliness of the room.
beautiful view of the city, basically, it lived up to expectation
upset only lack of Wi-Fi free
wrong for the hotel of this level does not provide their guests the opportunity to communicate with their familiesand three computers at a big hotel-it's funny

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
NovotelSingapore, Quality Services Executive at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to pen down your reviews regarding your recent visit to Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay. It was pleasure having you as our guest, we are glad to know that you have had an enjoyable stay.

We do take note of your dismay pertaining to the Internet access in the Hotel. We are sorry that we were not able to meet with your desired level of service; please accept our sincere apologies. We do hope you have taken advantage of the Mac computers available at the Reception area where we provide complimentary Internet access to our guests.

In addition to that, we are also considering adding more Mac computers for guests’ usage. On a lighter note, please be informed that the relevant department heads are considering providing free internet for all our guests; thus, we do hope that this will commerce soon.

Thank you again for submitting your comments; you can be assured that we will work towards serving you better in the near future.

Please do not hesitate to contact us, should we be of any further assistance.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed for two nights recently on our way to Phuket. We had our two children in rollaways in our room and still plenty of space. Bathroom had bath and shower - nice for families. Breakfasts were included and fabulous. Good location to great eateries along Clarke Quay. Great to have. 711, Starbucks and larger grocery store closeby. Only downside is no free wifi in rooms. We found staff very pleasant especially conceirge who sorted out a problem with a tour we had booked. Would stay here again.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Suzanne G
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We spent 7 nights here in late November. The hotel offers a competitive price, Singapore accommodation can be quite expensive but it depends on what experience you want. The plaque in the lower foyer says the hotel was opened in 2006, I thought it looked older than this, but the rooms have been renovated and the view from our King Marina View with balcony was definately the plus for us. We woke up one night and sat out on the balcony and watched the thunderstorms we also watched the laser show that beams out from the roof of the Marina Bay Sands from our balcony. The room was of a sufficient size and the bathroom was big. We went on several tours that picked up and dropped off everyone at their Hotels and all the other Hotels were more lavish than ours but we felt the Novotel was situated better. It is walking distance to Clarke Quay, Boat Quay, Chinatown, and Funan IT Shopping Centre. There is an MRT (Clarke Quay) underneath Central shopping centre, a short walk from the Hotel. In the lower floors of the Hotel is a shopping centre and in the basement of this is a very comprehensive supermarket (bypass the 7/11 and walk the extra 1 min).
The internet in the reception area gave free 20 minute sessions and we used it several times a day. We went for lunch and dinner at the Square restaurant (both are smorgasbord) and enjoyed it. We had cocktails and coffee at the cafe and the service was quite good. A cosmo at the Hotel cost S$14 while we paid S$27 for one at Raffles. If you want a more authentic dining experience skip Clarke Quay and walk the extra 10 minutes to Boat Quay. There is a lot of noise that comes from the Night clubs at Clarke Quay but the rooms have double doors and once shut they keep the sound right down.

Room Tip: Get a Marina Bay View, its worth the little bit extra.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay; it was certainly our pleasure to have you as our guest. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay; thank you for taking the time to pen down your reviews on Tripadvisor.

The hotel is indeed, located in the heart of Clarke Quay – Singapore’s entertainment hub where there are plenty of restaurants and bars for you to choose from for your entertainment. It gives us pleasure to know that you favor the location of the Hotel.

Novotel Singapore has also indeed, been renovated and we are glad to know we have met with your desired level of service.

Thank you again, for taking the time to send us your reviews and it is certainly our hope to welcome you back to Novotel Singapore in the not too distant future.