“There are better choices in Singapore”

Marina Mandarin Singapore
Ranked #47 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Zurich, Switzerland
“There are better choices in Singapore”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Impressive atrium inside. Very central location to Marina Bay and Gardens by the Bay not far from Orchard Road. Top view of Casino and business district buildings from balcony. Room (on executive floor) had a comfortable bed and clean bathroom.
Breakfast was nothing special, service at breakfast was not very attentive.
Service a bit erratic: efficient when we left our luggage before going to Vietnam, but a disaster when we had a late check-out on our last day: the access cards to our room (and the elevator) didn’t work anymore and they were slow to solve the problem and did not apologize for the inconvenience.
Overall nice setting but too expensive for the service provided.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kurt W, General Manager at Marina Mandarin Singapore, responded to this review, February 25, 2013

Thank you for your review.

Whilst we are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your overall stay, we are concerned to learn of the service rendered was not up to your expectations.

At Marina Mandarin, we take pride into ensuring that each of our guest enjoys an unique hospitality experience every time they stay with us. We sincerely apologise for not being able to live up to the expected. We assure you that our continuous efforts in training will allow our Team to perfect the art of service, thus we sincerely hope to welcome you back.

Please contact us at marina@meritushotels.com for your future visits and our Team will ensure a memorable stay for you.

Looking forward to be of service to you soon!

Kurt O. Wehinger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (928)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,394 helpful votes
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Being back in Singapore for a few days for the Lunar New Year, we decided to stay at the Marina Mandarin rather than our usual Fairmont Hotel for a few days before our flight out. We found the hotel staff, especially the concierge and bellhops, very helpful. We left a couple of luggage pieces at the hotel prior to a side trip to New Delhi and the hotel easily accommodated this. On arrival, check-in was a breeze, and we were upgraded to a Premier room on the 18th floor. The room was relatively new and well appointed though without the Nexpresso machine that has become so common in other hotels. But that is minor. The room and the bathroom were largish and we had a balcony with a view of Suntec convention centre. Traveling around was easy with cabs and the Cityhall and Esplanade MRT stations within a few minutes' walk. There are loads of eateries, banking and shopping opportunities in the surrounding malls. We could hear the band music from the atrium at night, but it was not too loud or we were too tired to notice it much. One negative point though - not sure if there are bed bugs but I had a skin reaction, even after requesting a linen change, which was done quickly. Breakfast was okay, and I particularly liked the crispy prata with vegetable curry. On the whole, quite an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: A room on the higher floor would negate the music from the atrium.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Orator11

Thank you for your review.

It is wonderful knowing that you have enjoyed our facilities and services during your recent visit.

We have shared your kind words of compliment with our Team and these will inspire them to continue extending our Asian Hospitality to our guests.

We have also taken note on your feedback about the music from our Atrium and we have taken measures to avoid future recurrence. We have also indicated in your profile for future references.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Singapore
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We enjoyed our time at Marina Mandarin for the most part. The room was nice though it had the stale smell of cigarette smoke. There was a lot of space by Singapore standards and the balcony was a treat. We further enjoyed the included buffet breakfast, though it was seriously overcrowded and felt a bit like bring a part of a feeding frenzy.

However, our stay was ruined when we left our keys behind in the room and they were either stolen (my key ring had a 32gb memory card on it) or thrown away. I only realized the keys were missing after we left later in the day, but I should have suspected something sooner. We were due to check out at 12:00PM and housekeeping came to clean the room while we were away at breakfast. We came back to find them in our room, about a quarter of the way through cleaning (I wonder if they actually cleaned the room after we checked out?). The staff were very unhelpful in trying to retrieve my keys. Be careful what you leave in the rooms!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Patrick S

Thank you for your review.

Whilst we are delighted that you have chosen our Hotel as the preferred choice of accommodation, we are concerned to learn of the experience you had during your recent stay.

Your feedback about our rooms and the breakfast service are shared with the departments concerned and we will step up our service level to provide guests with a memorable visit each time.

We regret to learn about the keys being misplaced and you have our assurance that the Hotel does not condone dishonest behaviour. We have conducted a search after your feedback directed to the Hotel and we have since contacted you about the result of the search.

We hope to have an opportunity to be of service to you again. We invite you to contact us directly at marina@meritushotels.com should you require any further assistance.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed at the Marina Mandarin the second last time we were in Singapore. It's a great hotel and reminds me of the Burswood (now Crown metropol) in Perth.

The hotel staff and service were great. We enjoyed having cocktails in the bar. The atrium has a very nice open feel, and does not feel busy even with such a large number of guests.

We stayed in a standard room and had a nice view out over the Marina.
The room itself was well presented and had a modern feel. It may not be 5 star luxury but I did not feel that it was tired or run down as other reviewers have suggested.

I can't say anything about the food as we did not eat there. The hotel is situated on top of one of the larger shopping malls and then suntec and even larger mall is directly across the road. The Singapore flyer is only about 10 minues walk away.

Directly underneath the hotel is the Singapore subway so travelling around the city is cheap and convenient.

This hotel may not be located in the heart of Clarke Quay, but even that is only 5 minutes away in a taxi. I would rather stay at this hotel than in the heart of Clarke quay again. We found it easy to get the subway to Sentosa and Orchard Road.

We also shared the lift with a boy band group of Korean Pop Stars on the way down to the Lobby. As we walked out of the hotel there was swarms of young girls behind barriers waiting for them. No idea who they were but it was a good laugh.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

It is with much pleasure knowing that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us.

The Hotel, strategically located in the heart of the city, has provided both our business and leisure guests much convenience with extensive range of dining and entertainment options.

Your wonderful experience will be shared with the Team and it will motivate us into bringing our service level up to the next greater height.

We look forward to be service to you soon.

manila
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This hotel had a good location since the mall is connected to it. Lots of food choices there. Service at the reception was slow though, but maybe because it was high season (New Year's). We booked an execute suite and realized that it was actually 2 adjacent rooms with a connecting door and renovated to look like a suite. Overall it was a confortable stay. The Balloon drop on New Year's eve was the highlight of our stay which our kids enjoyed a lot. We'd probably consider staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your recent stay and it is wonderful knowing that you and your family have enjoyed our New Year's celebration!

We sincerely appreciate your feedback about the service at our Reception and we will step up our training efforts to ensure that our service level remains competitive.

The Hotel has two concepts of suites and you may wish to experience our open-concept suite the next time you stay with us. To find out more details, we invite you to contact our Rooms Reservation Department at resvn.marina@meritushotels.com and we will be more than pleased to assist with your accommodation needs.

Thank you for choosing our Hotel as your preferred choice of accommodation, looking forward to be service to you soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on business for a single night on 18 February 2013. I was in room 1003, I am a regular business traveller, spending probably 60-90 days a year in hotels.

The room is a bit tired, in particular the bathroom could do with a refurb. However my biggest complaint with this hotel is the noise from the music in the atrium in the evening. All of the rooms in the hotel have door off the atrium.

I got back from dinner outside the hotel about 9:30pm and was a little alarmed that the music could be heard so loudly in my room. However shortly after the music stopped and I went to bed, as I'd flown from overseas and had been up since the early hours of the morning Singapore time.

However, the music started up again after a break. At 10:05pm I phoned customer services and asked to be put through to the duty manager, I was told that the manager was not available but that the music would be playing until 11:45pm

I said that the level of noise was unacceptable and the customer services person said that the level of the music would be turned down. I was told that the duty manager would call me.

The music stayed loud at least until 10:45pm when I decided to plug my ipod in to drown out the band sound.

Needless to say, I received no call from the duty manager and when I checked out I was not asked how my stay was, which would have been another easy opportunity to address this issue.

In addition, there were rather nasty pale stains on the left hand side of the chair in this room

This hotel might be ok for tourists who are out late but if you're a business traveller who has had a long day or has a early start give it a wide berth.

Poor customer service.

Room Tip: I imagine the higher up rooms are a bit quieter, but I'd pick a room in another hotel if I were...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kurt W, General Manager at Marina Mandarin Singapore, responded to this review, February 20, 2013

Thank you for your review.

We share your frustration with regards to your recent stay and we sincerely regret for missing the opportunity to meet up with you before you check out.

We take all feedback seriously and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to make amends. Please contact us at marina@meritushotels.com for your future visit and we will ensure a memorable stay for you.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I'd travelled from Sydney on my way home to the UK and stopped off in Singapore, hot, tired, and sweaty. I was welcomed by a bank of huge smiles and ushered through into the welcoming coolness of the hotel and the breath-taking atrium by a beautiful girl who took me to my room, exchanging intelligent pleasanteries on the way. It was like stepping into paradise. A long shower and the sensual delight of sinking into crisp bedlinen for a wonderful nights' sleep. Yes, it's primarily, I guess, a business hotel but affordable 5-Star luxury for a normal traveller like me. I probably won't hasten to return to SIngapore (I hate shopping!) but the memory of my stay at Marina Mandarin is a very fond one.

Room Tip: Go high! Great views over the marina if you're at the back, or over the city at the front.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Kurt W, General Manager at Marina Mandarin Singapore, responded to this review, February 17, 2013

Thank you for your review.

It is with great pleasure knowing that we have created fond memories that last.

At Marina Mandarin, we take pride into providing each and every guest an experience of our signature Asian Grace, Warmth and Care. Your satisfaction is our motivation and we will continue to bring service deliver up to the next greater height.

Looking forward to be of service to you soon!