“First Time in Singapore”

Marina Mandarin Singapore
Ranked #49 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This being our first time in Singapore, my husband and I were amazed by the never-ending malls in Singapore.There are malls everywhere! There are even high end malls in the complex, underground transportation system called the MRT (Mass Rapid Transit). The Marina Mandarin is in a convenient location that is connected to a huge mall and from the mall, you can access the MRT which can take you to many other stations. There are a variety of shops and places to eat in this mall. There are signs conveniently placed in the mall to help you find your way back to the hotel. The reception and check in counters are located on the fourth floor. We found the staff welcoming and pleasant. Check in was a breeze. The lobby was actually quite lovely with all the Chinese New Year decorations and clementine plants. We were on a higher floor and were not at all disturbed by the evening music resonating from the piano bar downstairs. The programmed bird chirping in the atrium early in the morning was actually quite pleasant and reminded us of Hawaii. You hear the chirping only when you exit your room. The room was lovely, clean and spacious, the bed was comfortable and we had a nice view from our window. All in all, we had a most pleasant two day stay at the Marina and would have no problem booking at this hotel on our next visit. The only con was that there was no free wifi in the room or in the public areas. You would have to pay for a drink by the the bar area in order to access free wifi. For a higher end hotel, I found this disappointing.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor for view and noise level.
3  Thank lawguy1
Kurt W, General Manager at Marina Mandarin Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you for your review.

It gives us great pleasure knowing that we are the preferred choice of accommodation, being your first visit to Singapore.

We are delighted that you have enjoyed both the facilities and services during your stay. We will make continuous improvements to ensure that our guests experience our unique Asian Hospitality each time they stay with us.

We have taken note on your feedback about internet access. You may wish to know that we do have room packages with internet included that could cater to your needs. For your future stays, do contact our Rooms Reservations at resvn.marina@meritushotels.com and we will ensure that your accommodation requests are met.

Looking forward to be of service to you soon!

There are newer reviews for Marina Mandarin Singapore

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Great location and friendly staff. Enjoyed our stay. Central to everything in Singapore. Highly recommend. Only 10 mins from Sentosa island which is convenient. Shopping centre right next door is also very handy.

• Stayed: February 2013
Kurt W, Front Office Manager at Marina Mandarin Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you for your review.

It is wonderful knowing that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Your kind word of compliments for our facilities and services will certainly delight the Team and motivate us to bring service level up to the next greater height.

Looking forward to be of service to you soon!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We chose this hotel for its location it was pretty central so we chose a executive room on the 17th floor overlooking the bay wich had an outside balcony wich at nite was stunning as for the room it was as to be expected very plush the bathroom was beautifull I though I made a great choice to end our journey we didn't eat at the hotel but food looked lovely lovely and clean to I would recommend it

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted that we have created fond memories during your recent stay. The Hotel has a one of the best locations, which allows both business and leisure travelers to get accessed to their preferred locations easily.

Thank you for choosing us as your preferred choice of accommodation, we look forward to be of service to you soon.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Well just had 2nights at this hotel. It is not for tourists, I am sure fine for business people,. A major BIG hotel with lots of rooms. It really needs a refurbishment. Rooms seem barren, bathrooms ok. Have been to Singapore several times over last 5 nyears and this was certainly a one ony. Must admit a great location, but needs lots of upgrades

Room Tip: Cant comment on spa and breakfast, why pay $30 special when you can go next door and have a $5 brea...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review.

We sincerely appreciate your concern on the well-being of our Hotel. We are pleased to share that it is in the pipeline to upgrade the facilities of the Hotel to remain competitive in the market.

We thank you for choosing our Hotel as the preferred choice of accommodation and we certainly hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Please contact us at marina@meritushotels.com directly for your future visits and we will ensure that your accommodation requests are met.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We just stayed in this hotel and we are not happy at all with the service level.
The reception personnel was very arrogant and not helpful at all. The breakfast was a disaster: long line on Sunday, no refilling for juice, food or fruits.
It's a pity for the beautifull Marina bay view this hotel has.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kurt W, General Manager at Marina Mandarin Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you for your review.

We thank you for choosing our Hotel as the preferred choice of accommodation during your recent visit and we share your disappointment on the service that was rendered to you.

Striving to perfect the art of Asian Hospitality, we assure you that our Team of associates pledged to deliver service excellence for each and every guest. You have our assurance that we do not condone inhospitable attitude and we appreciate your valuable feedback towards our Reception and the quality of breakfast.

We will make effort to ensure continuous improvements on our products and services and we sincerely hope to be given another opportunity to make amends.

Please contact us directly at marina@meritushotels.com for your future visits and we will ensure a memorable stay for you.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I had booked for a "staycation" at Marina Mandarin on a Sunday more than a week ago. I was very fortunate to have been granted an upgrade to the Meritus Club room by the reservation manager David due to my continuous support for Mandarin (I guess!)

As usual, Club rooms are on the 20-21st floor and are very peaceful. I am situated on the 21st floor this time round. The previous visit was 20th. All the rooms come with a balcony so it doesn't really matter if u wanna take some time off for a puff.

The bathroom is really neat and houses Loccitane products (my personal favorite)!

It comes with a coffee machine of which is pretty normal in all club rooms that I have stayed before.

What separates Mandarin from the rest would boil down to its wonderful staff.

Noteworthy, Karez from the Meritus club lounge remembered me from the last visit that was like 5 months ago!? I mean.... Was I getting stalked ? But hey... I was really pleasantly shocked! The Club lounge offers a sizable range of foodstuff from 6 pm onwards and they also provide a list of cocktails mixes. Their in house concoction JC mandarin is the best so far! And I loved the view from it. Oh yes, another service attendant Frisca was very attentive and pleasant during our visit at the lounge as well. I invited one of my friend to the lounge and was made to pay $40++ but the service really are it worth every cent! My favorite dish at the lounge was the minute steak! I am not so much into beef but this is really tender and juicy. A pity I didn't manage to have the sushi this time round, I remembered that it was really good too the last time round.

Every thing from the check in till check out was speedy and comfortable. Also, the mrt station just round the corner makes traveling convenient.

As far as 5 star hotels go, this top the list.

: )

Room Tip: Ask for pool facing.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kurt W, General Manager at Marina Mandarin Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you for your review.

It is with great pleasure knowing that you have enjoyed your staycation with us!

We are delighted that you have experienced our Asian Hospitality from the moment you arrived all through till the departure. We will share your kind word of compliments with David, Karez and Frisca. Nothing motivates our Team more than delightful compliments from our guests.

Thank you for choosing us as your preferred choice of accommodation for this staycation and we look forward to be of service to you soon!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I booked the hotel as it was convenient to attend a function in one of the function rooms therefore no need to worry about transportation on a Saturday night. As I am local, I know the place, mode of transportation, etc. not very convenient and you need to know your way well to have to walk into the mall and get your way through to the bus stop, MRT, etc.
Service is so-so can't even say the reservation department was efficient. Had to continuously contact them to for updates, either the person handling is on vacation (which is like every other day) or getting a file in a format that all the Macs and iPad in my home cannot open. So much for impression before checking in.
Room size is ok, but I wish the reservation would have suggested during booking that that there are club level room to be on higher floor. Well, management, take note of your staff lack of sales training here.
Furniture's a wee bit tired though I have to say is not that bad looking. The strangest part for me is to be inform that froma certain level downwards, there is no turn down service. So I paid for 1 .5 day charge because I have a midnight flight and wanted to leave at 6 pm, please note, no towels change because I am on that floor below that certain level.
Breakfast was like a war zone on a Sunday morning. Juice run out, tables not set because waiters in side was very busy but voila, I went out to asked the people who showed me to my table when the table will be set, oh, they (3 of them) were busy taking while inside the waiters were non stop.
On checkout at 6, I left my bags at the 4th level as I was told to and I booked a cab for 7pm. I was told to proceed direct to ground floor on my return. Well, I return 10 min before time and bags were not there. The concierge went in and out of the storage room then behind the counter, etc for a couple of minutes, I was puzzled and went to ask what's the problem. Your bags not here, he said to me. Shd be upstairs, please wait a while. Not a big deal but I don't understand how it can take longer than an hour to bring the bags from 4th floor down to the ground.
On the whole, hotel is not that bad but not much to shout for as a 5 star. Management should take a closer look because I would not come back again with 4 other hotels in the same vicinity.

Room Tip: Ask the price difference to confirm floor level. Also double chk that it is on the floor with turn...
1  Thank sunlover_intokyo

Thank you for your review.

We are concerned to learn that your recent stay was less than expected, we apologise for not delivering up to your satisfaction.

We have since shared your feedback with the relevant departments and we will step up our training efforts to avoid any recurrence. We strive to provide our signature Asian Hospitality to all our guests, and hope that this experience will not deter you from providing us an opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Please contact us directly at marina@meritushotels.com for your future stays and we will ensure a memorable stay for you.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.