“Renovation avoid until Nov 2009”

Mandarin Orchard Singapore
Ranked #71 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Sydney
“Renovation avoid until Nov 2009”
Reviewed January 8, 2009

Renovation was a pain in the backside. Rooms were too small. The premier room they put us in had some big massage chair that took up all the space in an already small room. Bathroom fitout was good but the luggage took forever to come. They need proper chairs and a little table so that both people can sit and at least have a cup of tea. NOT WORTH THE MONEY!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank bijiboy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Thailand
Reviewed December 10, 2008

Hotel surrounding having renovation,but causes inconvenience to the guest & patron.
Good location hotel, but services need a upgrade!!!
Very bad services from bell staff. deliveries of luggage takes a very long time, as the staff travel a long journey from one tower to the other. Luggage black in colour upon reaching the room became white, due to the amount of dust, it collected travelling from one location to another, suspect might be going thru' the renovation site.....
Poor staffing planning, not enough service staff at the outlet, also no smiling face from the service crew.
End of the day, was a good reputation hotel but turns into a low-class hotel.

Stayed December 2008
2 Thank tigerair
Alassio, Italy
Reviewed December 6, 2008

Stayed 4 nights, on business, from Dec 2 to 6. The first time I stayed here, in 2006, I had a most enjoyable experience: my deluxe (=standard) room was in the Grand tower, large, well appointed and with modern Asian decoration; and I saw high standards of service and hospitality all the time.

Now, just two year on, it seemed a different hotel. A relatively impersonal welcome, no non smoking king size bedroom available at checkin. On their proposal to accept a smoking room to have a king size bed, I accepted as in my experience, smoking floors in most good hotels have no appreciable smell. Bad decision - I was wrong. The so called deluxe room in the South tower was smelly, medium sized, furnished like a 1980’s Hilton, and with a queen size bed at best, and even modest bedding linen. To my disappointment, I quickly found two long female hairs in the bathroom (the cleaner’s, I guess).

My first breakfast at the Mandarin Ballroom was just barely ok, with unattentive service by distracted waiters. Large choice but amazingly no jam/marmalade anywhere unless you asked, and if you do so they bring you one small jar only…

For the first time in my life, I reported my early disappointing experiences to the manager on the feedback form three nights before leaving.

On day 3 I even had to give up breakfast: a long queue for seating was being handled by just one poor lady, left alone by a number of lazy staff. After a ten minute wait and recognizing I would not have made it in time, I gave up but did contact the manager on duty to complain and at least recoup the breakfast share of my room rate.

Later on that day I received an email with apologies from the hotel manager who offered my to exchange my room (too late) and to be a guest at the executive clubroom for drinks and breakfast on the final morning (I accepted the latter). This was one of the few professional gestures I observed during my stay. Well, there may have been other satisfactory moments and aspects, but at the Meritus Mandarin due to my experience and expectations, I expected a flawless Asian experience.

There's lots of renovation going on, with consequences such as main lobby not in use, gym temporarily set up in conference rooms, and pool not available, but this is short term and more understandable.

This time overall the Meritus looked more like a tourist class hotel, despite its ambition to be much more than that. Not sure if I’ll give them another chance, with so many good hotels in Singapore.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor service for Singapore standards
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Roberto_NW_Italy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2008

i was a walk-in and stayed for 2 nights at SDG350 a night. it was a friend's wedding and it seems like a good occasion to splurge on hotel to hang out with friends.

the room is really nice and spacious. clean with good linen and mattress. the shower was quite impressive, with the many spa nozzle spraying out - fun but slightly too painful for me to appreciate.

the location couldnt be better. opposite is Hereen shopping center, and Cineleisure on the right. The other major shopping centers are just about 5 minutes away with Orchard and Somerset MRT stations also 5 minutes away. You can dump your shopping bags and resume your shopping crusade easily.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank loulou_in_uk
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed November 28, 2008

Why bright in the title? For the most stunning outfits you can imagine. The ladies at the reception wear dresses in the most beautiful red. Stunning.

The hotel rooms have gone through a "soft" refurbishment and have been brought up to a good standard. They are spacious and well furnished.

This trip, I booked taking advantage of the Singapore Airlines Stop over package of which I must say, as a frequent traveller to Singapore, I wonder why I have not done that before. You can book via the Singapore Airlines website, pre pay and take advantage of some very good rates.

It includes a free airport transfer, discounts on food and beverage in the hotel where you are staying and discounts on local attractions. Great value for money and I will do that again in the future.

Back to the hotel review, the Meritus is going through a renovation of the public areas on the Orchard Road side but I must say, management is trying to keep the inconvenience to the minimum.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel is great, right on Orchard Road, with plentiful access to public transport and of course the shopping district.

The pool is closed due to renovations but shuttles are provided to the Marina Bay Mandarin where the pool can be used.

I had lunch at the Pine Court Chinese restaurant which has some fantastic dishes, I really enjoyed that.

Breakfast is served at the restaurant on the top floor which has great views of Singapore. The quality of the buffet was a bit disappointing and needs to be looked at as it is a bit of a let down. I choose, despite the Singapore Stop Over 50% discount to have breakfast in town.

Overall a good and enjoyable stay and I will do the Stopover Holiday next time around again.

• Liked — Location and the bright red dresses
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Jan S
Sydney
Reviewed November 13, 2008

I thought I'd take my wife to stay at what was THE Mandarin in Singapore and where I used to stay in the 80's. I consulted this site at the time and the latest review was good.

I booked on the internet via their website http://www.meritus-hotels.com/offerpromotion/weekend/weekend.htm and thought that I'd booked that great weekend package - late check-out, breakfast etc... wrong. As far as I can ascertain the Meritus Mandarin Singapore does not offer that at all. Nor now the Weekend Plus that I booked only a month ago

Still, a great deal... great swimming pool... wrong. The hotel swimming pool was closed. You could take a bus to one somewhere else but not quite the same is it? No mention on the website.

The noise in the room we checked into was such that my wife asked to move. You know that beep-beep sound reversing vehicles make? Only this was persistent because there were renovations going on at the Mandarin

I wrote to the Mandarin and suggested that information on their website was somewhat misleading and it should also mention; noise, renovations and the lack of the advertised pool (and gym for that matter).

Their response? I quote one David Lim, Rooms Division Manager at the hotel; "Our hotel is not undergoing renovation works. The upgrading works that are ongoing are under the Mandarin Gallery (the shopping centre)..." Typically, no mention of the pool or the changes to the main entrances to the hotel (the entire lobby moved from one side of the hotel to the other during our stay).

On a positive note - the staff, the rooms and the position are excellent.

My warning. Internet bookers be sure even with so-called 5-star hotels that what is advertised is what you get.

Would I stay again? No, because I think my wife deserves better and there is 'better' in Singapore if you have to stay there.

Cheers
Patrick

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — the 'upgrades'
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Lokim
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed November 12, 2008

Lovely, lovely hotel.. Concierge, Front Desk and Housekeeping staff were all very professional. Rooms are fab.. bathroom's a bit old school.. Location is good, it's walking distance from a shopping mall and it's short distance by cab from the main centre.

Enjoyed our stay! Defo recommendable!

Stayed August 2008