“I keep coming back”

Ranked #75 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed October 28, 2013

In the middle of the shops of Orchard Road. The Gallery attached to the hotel has nice restaurants (Mr. Jones, a deli; and the ramen restaurant are my favorites). It's beside Takashimaya which has a great book store, Kinukuniya (it has much more than Japanese books but lots of those, too).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear GillianV,

Thank you for your continuous support with us at Mandarin Orchard Singapore. We value your loyal patronage and certainly look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

I usually travel with my family but this time I was a solo traveller staying a week at the Mandarin. My check I'm was quick and efficient. I stayed in the main tower on level 24. On arrival the only problem was that I had no towels I rang housekeeping and they were brought to my room promptly. You know what impressed me though was the telephonist who put me thru to housekeeping rang me back to make sure said towels were delivered and was there anything else that could be done! I thought that was a really nice touch. It is a very busy hotel probably because it is in such a central location near all the cool shopping locations. But if you don't want to venture out too far the Mandarin Gallery which is in the complex had world class shopping and eateries. The room service is excellent and very fast. Unfortunately I left it quite late to make enquiries about a late checkout on my day of departure and was told the hotel would not be able to accommodate me. But as I was travelling in the lift a manager (I think), a very nice man,Mr Ryan ? Kwoek (sorry if I misspelt) asked what I was doing that day and I said I was checking out and he asked what time my flight was and I replied not till 10.30 that night and I was unable to get a late checkout, that I was going to leave my bags at reception and do a bit more shopping if I could squeeze any more into my bags! And probably go to a movie or something just to kill time until my airport pickup at around 7 pm. He told me to use his name and come back around 5.30 or 6pm and ask for a hospitality room so I could shower and freshen up before my flight. What a difference that made to me. I felt so much better after that shower knowing I had at least a 7 hour flight back to the Gold Coast. I would highly recommend staying at the Mandarin Orchard Hotel. Oh and by the way try the cafe and bar on level 5 reception it is excellent. Do try their Japanese Hakaido (?) salted caramel pudding and the passion fruit macaron absolutely delicious!!

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Jacqui L,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to show you the grace, warmth and care we passionately put in to the work we do; I know the team will be encouraged that you recognised their effort in creating memorable experience. I will convey your commendation to both Lilian –Telephone Supervisor and Ryan Kwek.

We are also very pleased you enjoyed the Hokkaido promotion and its signature dessert at Triple Three; award- winning buffet restaurant.

We acknowledge that there was no towels placed in your room on your day of arrival and can only apologize for this obvious lapse in service. We take your constructive feedback on board to seek for continuous improvement.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor and we look forward to having another pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Big size of room , comfort bed , huge pillow , big bathtub . Breakfast menu is very great , you can find almost everything . LOCATION beside Takashimaya mall . Many thanks to Mr Iwan from Concierge who has helped me to order my fight ticket . He is very kind .

Room Tip: Rooms in the main tower has better view
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Johnny_Brockmann,

Thank you for your review of Mandarin Orchard Singapore.

We are delighted to receive your gracious compliments on our quality of our rooms and breakfast. It delights us to know that our efforts to provide quality service are being appreciated by you. I have shared your compliments with Iwan and I am sure this will go a long way in encouraging him to continue to provide the level of service that you have enjoyed.

We look forward to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Whether it be for business or pleasure, Mandarin Orchard is good enough. The staff are so friendly and made my stay an enjoyable one. The executive rooms are really equipped for the general business man and your own massage chair. Buffet breakfast is a little expensive if not added to your room at $44 SGD. Its right beside Takashimaya and Paragon to the left side. Mount Elizabeth Hospital a walking distance and a huge H&M to the right. Maybe not as luxurious but practical.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Rnplus2,

Thank you for your great review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and found our team to be friendly and our executive room meets your expectation.

We believe our breakfast represents good value for money, however it may be pre-purchased prior to check-in for a reduction in price when you book directly with us.

We will look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Singapore.

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I had my wedding banquet at Mandarin Orchard hotel on 7th September, in the ballroom on 35th floor. What can I say, Mandarin Orchard really made it an unforgettable experience, one that is so bad I will not forget in a long time.

First, I'll give Mandarin Orchard the credit for its top-notch standard in food quality. The suite which they provided for my husband and I was also within our expectation in terms of cleanliness and confit level.

Other than that, service is beyond horrendous. My husband and I signed up for the wedding package one year ago, we were promised the exclusivity of the ballroom on level 35 as it is the only ballroom on the level. Of course, restrooms were on the same level. However, we got a rude shock one week prior to our wedding. Our wedding coordinator who holds the position of Assistant Director, called us and informed us that the restrooms would not be available for our guests as there were renovations going on. My husband and I have no other option but to swallow this piece of bad news and carried on with the wedding preps.

On the wedding day, my distinguished guests who included our family, our superiors and close friends had to take elevator from level 35 to level 5 where the lobby is to use the restroom! We, the ones who are supposed to enjoy the big day, received many complaints from our guests. My husband and I even stayed until 1 a.m after the whole banquet to relate the matter to the Assistant Director.

No attempt on the Assistant Director's part to do any service recovery was appalling. When she comes back on the next day, Sunday, to conclude the matter, she said,"To show our sincerity, I came back to the hotel on Sunday when I do not have to." That's the last straw that broke the camel's back. We refused to make full payment and demanded for a proper explanation and conclusion to the whole matter. We waited for a whole month, we only received a letter from the finance department to demand for full payment.

Despite sending an email to the assistant director regarding that, no replies were received. What kind of 5 star service is that? We were subjected to all these troubles and distress which should not be the case in the first place!

PLEASE kindly reconsider if you intend to engage the service of this hotel for any future meetings / wedding banquets.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Jas_zhang

Dear Jas_zhang,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor.

We reviewed your comments and we have fallen short on our services. We sincerely apologise for the regrettable experience that you have had.

To make amends and show our commitment to our valued guests, we have sent personal correspondence to your residence on 24 October 2013.

This aside, we thank you for your commendation on our food quality and we will share with our Chef the credit you accorded him.

We do hope you will give us another opportunity to show you the Asian hospitality we are so fondly known for and welcome you back again.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

From the minute you walk into the hotel until the minute you leave you are welcomed and looked after by the best staff at any hotel I have stayed at in the world. Nothing is too small and you feel like you are at home. The staff cannot do enough to help you in anything that is asked of them.
The accommodation side was exemplary and well maintained. We faced Orchard Road and thought this might be a little noisy but you were hard pressed to hear anything including noise from other floors or rooms.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Singapore.

Room Tip: Nothing springs to mind, our room was on the 31st floor and had no noise and was huge
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear stephanie b,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are more than delighted to read your comments, and we know it will inspire and encourage us to continue to provide the same quality Asian hospitality we are fondly known for.

We thank you for your recommendations and continued ongoing patronage of Mandarin Orchard Singapore. It will be a pleasure to have you stay with us again.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

If you guys are planning to do some serious shopping in Singapore this would be the hotel to go for along Orchard/Scotts area. Don't be fooled by the other hotels you want one at this stretch of the shopping strip. Holiday Inn Express has opened it's door 2 weeks ago opposite Mandarin Orchard. But I last checked they are quite fully booked up to the end of the year and the rates now are almost the same as Mandarin Orchard if not more expensive.

Summary - Go for this hotel if you want a quick and good recharge in between shopping. If you have a toddler the mattress they provide is rock hard and not very comfortable.

Front Desk - They took ages to get me checked in. And some might think I may be exaggerating I am not, the queue was very long to start with and when it was my turn it honestly took them more than 10 mins to get me checked in. I don't understand with technology these days why can't the check in process at hotels still take so damn long. And we paid a SGD 200 deposit which they could not track upon check out. But it was nice of the manager to step in and instruct the front desk staff to pass on the SGD 200 to quicken the process.

Housekeeping - No turn down service. And we requested for a baby cot, as my wife has a sore back we asked if it's possible to get two mattresses so it would be easier to put the baby down at night. The housekeeper who did not speak a single word of English said in Mandarin that "One Cot, One Mattress". I did not expect this the Mandarin Hotel group. If you had any spare cot's with mattresses I don't see the harm for them loaning us an extra.

Food - Did not try any food in the hotel, but there's a lot of great food at the shopping mall adjoining the hotel called Mandarin Gallery. MUST try's are Ippudo Ramen and Tonkatsu Ma Maison.

Room Tip: Choose an Orchard Wing room to get direct access to the shops and Orchard road.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear SnappyFingers,

Thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor.

We do take note of your constructive feedback as we continuously review ways to fine-tune our processes and services to ensure better efficiency and quality of our service touch points. Your feedback is important to us as it allows us to continually monitor our guests’ requirements.
We look forward to welcome you back to Mandarin Orchard in not too distant future.