“Modern, very central hotel with great views”

Ranked #74 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The Mandarin Orchard hotel is located very centrally on Singapore's busy Orchard Road. This is one of the main shopping streets in Singapore and very central, e.g. it will take 15 minutes to travel to the Marina Bay. The airport is 20 minutes by taxi. The room I had was recently refurbished and had a great view, but then I was on the 28th floor. There were coffee/tea facilities in my room and overall it was very quiet. The beds are comfortable. Breakfasts were good as you would expect of a 5-star hotel. The buffets are rich and there is plenty of choice in warm and cold choices. Overall very good experience and I would be happy to come back.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the high floors at the backside of the hotel for a great view over Singapore.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Ivo-Knottnerus,

Thank you for your review of Mandarin Orchard Singapore. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to meet your needs. Please do book with us directly to allow us to meet your personal preferences each time you stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Mandarin Orchard Singapore

Write a ReviewReviews (10,622)

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights. Service in the club lounge was very good. Definitely worth staying on one of the club lounge floors. Great location amongst all the major shopping on orchard rd. Rooms a bit dated but very clean and all ammenties provided

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Travelgirl45678,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay in our Meritus Club and the rooms to be clean with good amenities.

We will look forward to welcoming you back when you embark on your next Singapore trip.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

On Orchard Road, in the middle of everything, the Mandarin Orchard definitely is one of the several hotels in the hub of activities. Much of the hotel former lobby had been converted into shopping area and the present lobby moved into higher floor. Due to the structure of the building, the standard room is sizable. We are not comfortable with their choice of furniture e.g. massage armchair which occupied some valuable space. We only had breakfast in the hotel and the two breakfast coffee shops were very busy throughout. The buffet choice was quite extensive but the presentation could be improve. If we stay here in the future, it will be because of the great location.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charn P
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Charn P,

Thank you for your review of Mandarin Orchard Singapore. As you have stated, the former lobby was changed a few years ago to accommodate Mandarin Gallery; the perfect shopping destination.
I am pleased you found our breakfast to be extensive in variety; I have however noted your comments with regards to presentation and have brought this to the attention of our Food and beverage Director; thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

At crucial times there are staff available in the lobby and at reception whose sole task is to make sure you know where to go and what to do. It is a big place, and the differences between which areas use which lifts etc. can be confusing. Room I had was great with a nice view, and I was upgraded to 35th floor when I asked for somewhere near the gym. Breakfasts were good - tip, if you're eating later in the morning, try the Chatterbox for breakfast - same food, and generally much quieter. Room service good and the laksa is spectacular. A four day stay and well looked after the whole time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear TanjungBaraDiver,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found our Meritus Ambassadors to be helpful. Our Meritus Ambassadors have been icons of the hotel for over 40 years, wearing our signature red cheongsams in the same colour since the day Mandarin Orchard Singapore opened; I am delighted they assisted you well.

Our Lobster laksa, remains as one of our favourite dishes alongside our famous chicken rice; we were the first hotel to sell local food many years ago and continue to serve the same recipes to this day.

Thank you again for your comments. I will look forward to welcoming you back the next time you choose to stay with us.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

A very well run hotel that just looked after all of our needs.the food and our room was just great ,lots of room in it and very clean.the staff were always on hand and very helpful,as we signed into the hotel we were told that they had given us an upgrade to the 30th floor which was amazing.

Room Tip: Take a room at the back of the hotel as there is a lot of building work going on at the front,very l...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear mickpitman,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and found our team to be helpful and our rooms to be good.

I will look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Singapore.

Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately I booked this hotel because the room photos and the location, when I arrived there the room was too dirty and the hotel staff was not helpful and they asked me to pay extra 200USD to change the room, I was selected a premier room with view and other complementary like coffee maker, waters, etc.. The room was empty and I took couple of pictures I'm gonna share with you..

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Ramzan_Alnaimi

Dear Ramzan_Alnaimi,

Thank you for your review of your most recent review, I am sorry to learn of your experience; a clean room should always be expected; I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. At all times we will ensure a solution to any issues, however if preferred, upgrades may be purchased to a higher category of room.

I do hope that despite your last experience, you will not hesitate in giving us another opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I was billeted in this hotel for business. It was very unfortunate that I stayed in a room beside noisy occupants. With the room's poor acoustics, I could hear the conversation of the occupants in the other room. Initially I let it pass as i was still busy with emails but came 12 midnight, I had to call the reception to seek for intervention. The hotel duty manager did not do any thing to rectify, until I was irked and commanded him to resolve it. He initially wanted to go inside my room, at 1230 am so he could hear from which room the noise was coming from. I told him, as duty manager, he should know how the rooms are designed, where the beds are facing. I told him he can not enter as I was all alone in my room and would not want anyone to barge in at such late hour. He offered transfer of room at 1230am as he said he didnt want to knock on other people's room!!!! Morning came, I asked for transfer. The front desk told me to pack quickly my things so they can just move my stuffs to the other room. I was in hurry for my meeting so quickly packed before rushing out for the meeting. When i arrived in the evening, lo and behold, I still didnt have a new room and they haven't moved my luggages. I waited for an hour before they moved my luggages to the new room! Paying such hefty rates, with such poor room acoustics and bad customer service...definitely not worth it!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Bing19
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Bing19,

Thank you for taking the time to review Mandarin Orchard Singapore. All feedback is very important to us and every comment is both read and noted. I was concerned and surprised to hear of your experiences. I would be grateful if you would email me at gmoffice.orchard@meritushotels.com with your reservation details so I may investigate this further.