“expensive but good location”

Ranked #71 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
London
“expensive but good location”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed here for a week at a business convention. Overall the hotel was OK - nothing particularly special about it - just an average business hotel.

I did find the breakfast pretty good but expensive. The bar was one of the more expensive places in Singapore, but didn't seem out of line with the other hotels some of my party were with.

Would I go back there on another trip - I'd probably try somewhere else first.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear thefrequenttraveller,

Thank you for your feedback, which is very important to us. I am glad you found our breakfast to be of good quality. Our bar, whilst as you mention is in line with others within Singapore, does offer happy hour prices each day of the week with other occasional promotions where drinks may be enjoyed within the comfort of the hotel. I do hope you were able to enjoy these promotional rates during your visit.

Thefrequenttraveller, thank you again for your comments, I hope we may welcome you again soon on your next business trip in Singapore.

Mandarin Orchard Singapore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The only thing his Hotel has going for it is location, its in the center of shopping Orchard Road, but there are better choice hotels on the strip that can offer a more pleasant experience. Feels like a train station, very crowded, and need to queue for everything for service from check-in front office, room service, and concierge lobby. Ladies standing around are supposed to be helpful, but they don't know anything. Concierge got my bags mixed up. had to wait even longer.... I agree with the other reviews; impersonal, not great service, staff confusion, not knowledgeable. Stay somewhere else for the same amount.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TurnW
Dear TurnW,

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your latest stay at Mandarin Orchard Singapore; all feedback is always read and most certainly noted; thank you.

During our peak times, the hotel can become busy; however we attempt to keep queue times to a minimum at all times. Our Meritus Ambassadors stationed with the lobby are willing to help with any queries; I can only apologise if this did not happen on this occasion and I will certainly be informing our Front Office Manager to reiterate the need to be attentive at all times.

Thank you again for your feedback. I do hope that despite your experiences, you will give us a chance to show you the Asian hospitality that we are fondly known for.

Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Great location but a mediocre hotel. We were on the club floor, the service was OK but the food was bland and uninspired.The rooms were adequate but not great value for money, WiFi connection was good and free. There are much better choices in Singapore for the same money, or less.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank melndeb
Dear melndeb,

Thank you for the review.

I am sorry to hear we were not up to your expectations on this occasion. I have noted your comments with regards to our food options and highlighted this to our chef, who I know will look into this matter.

Despite your last experience within our Club rooms, I do hope that you will not hesitate in giving Mandarin Orchard Singapore another try, where you will be most welcome.

Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Had a weekend stay at Mandarin Orchard from 16th Feb to 18th Feb 2013. I was put in the Main Tower (not the renovated tower) and I was still impressed by the furnishings and bedding. Only weird thing was the placing of the TV. It was placed on the far left of the room which means my friend sleeping on the right twin bed could not watch the TV straight. Room space was good and beds are comfortable. Didnt really like the soft pillows. Amenities are well provided.

I had won a free Premier room stay for the first night from a company event and had bought an extension in a Deluxe room for the second night. Upon check-in, the hotel gave me a complimentary upgrade to Premier Room for the second night to save us the hassle of moving rooms. My friend and I greatly appreciated the offer. This shows the generosity of the hotel. Price wise: I spent $253.17 for the Deluxe Room night which I got upgrade. :D

Special thanks to Mr Ian Soh from the front counter for helping us on our breakfast arrangements. :) Breakfast spread is great! From international, chinese, dim sum to indian varieties, they've got almost everyone's appetite covered. Staff are prompt with coffee/tea servings and seating.

I had trouble with the TV and remote control around 6am in the morning. When I called for help, technician arrived within 5 minutes.

Generally, this hotel is good, efficient and helpful. I recommend staying there and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Try the Orchard Wing as they are the newly renovated ones. For slightly bigger room space, go for...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Joann_T87,

Thank you for your review of the hotel and congratulations on your prize! I am pleased you found our rooms to be comfortable. Our Housekeeping department is available 24 hours a day to assist with any requests you may have, including changing pillows if required. I do hope you were able to make use of this service whilst you were with us.

I have given your comments to Ian’s manager who I know will give him the recognition for his efforts; thank you for highlighting his work.

Joann_T87, I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again and you choose to stay at Mandarin Orchard Singapore again in the near future; we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

The most impressive aspect of my stay at Mandarin Orchard was the service. Two people were especially helpful. Ms Faridah was very helpful in arranging accommodation changes and helping me in the club lounge. Another very helpful employee was Mr Stephen Ong in the engineering maintenance department.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear geralgreer,

Thank you for your feedback, it is lovely to hear when a member of our team has done well. I will certainly share your comments to encourage both Faridah and Stephen and the rest of the team to continue offering the Asian hospitality our guests have come to know at Mandarin Orchard Singapore.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Dallas, TX
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel before but this time my experience was much better as I was put in a renovated room. My room had better lighting, new furniture and fixture, improved work area and bathroom. I think I paid almost the same last time and so be sure to ask for an ungraded room. The breakfast buffet has improved but the service was still very rush. I was really impressed by the room service which was very fast (delivered to me in less than 30 minutes every time) and delicious.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Everywheretraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences; which are always very useful.

I am delighted you have seen an improvement in our food and beverage operations, including breakfast. We actively listen to what our guests want to help create a better experience for all; thank you for adding your comments also.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed Feb 14 to 17, 2013. The hotel location is excellent as it is in the middle of the shopping area of Singapore. Restaurants are also within a stone throw away. Nice free breakfast, free wifi internet, free shuttle to Universal Studios (Resorts World Sentosa) for tourist only (just present your passport and borading pass), Just read your billing carefully as we had a double billing. Worth coming back!

Room Tip: Rooms are good in size though bed in twin rooms is really two small beds (single size).
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear JojoDeGuia,

Thank you for your review of Mandarin Orchard Hotel. I am pleased to hear you will be returning – it is always nice to see the same face again and again.

Our breakfast caters for all tastes, with cuisines from around the world; I am happy you enjoyed it.

Whilst our wifi is already faster than the world wide average, we are currently undergoing some renovation work to improve stability to enhance our product offering.

Thank you again for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.