“Luck out with a better room”

Ranked #72 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Dallas, TX
“Luck out with a better room”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel before but this time my experience was much better as I was put in a renovated room. My room had better lighting, new furniture and fixture, improved work area and bathroom. I think I paid almost the same last time and so be sure to ask for an ungraded room. The breakfast buffet has improved but the service was still very rush. I was really impressed by the room service which was very fast (delivered to me in less than 30 minutes every time) and delicious.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Everywheretraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences; which are always very useful.

I am delighted you have seen an improvement in our food and beverage operations, including breakfast. We actively listen to what our guests want to help create a better experience for all; thank you for adding your comments also.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Mandarin Orchard Singapore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed Feb 14 to 17, 2013. The hotel location is excellent as it is in the middle of the shopping area of Singapore. Restaurants are also within a stone throw away. Nice free breakfast, free wifi internet, free shuttle to Universal Studios (Resorts World Sentosa) for tourist only (just present your passport and borading pass), Just read your billing carefully as we had a double billing. Worth coming back!

Room Tip: Rooms are good in size though bed in twin rooms is really two small beds (single size).
Dear JojoDeGuia,

Thank you for your review of Mandarin Orchard Hotel. I am pleased to hear you will be returning – it is always nice to see the same face again and again.

Our breakfast caters for all tastes, with cuisines from around the world; I am happy you enjoyed it.

Whilst our wifi is already faster than the world wide average, we are currently undergoing some renovation work to improve stability to enhance our product offering.

Thank you again for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I visited Singapore and after a bit of homework zeroed down on Mandarin Orchard. it was not as i expected. The hotel and rooms were very well maintained and done in a very modern fashion but it lacked warmth. The staff were very businesslike and there was no seating area in the vast and spacious lobby forcing people to either stand or if they wanted to sit in the cafe which no doubt would compel them to order food they never wanted to eat in first place. It was my spouse's birthday and I asked them if they could provide a cake at midnight which they 'couldn't' as they didn't have any left. they sent a cake next day in the evening which was like receiving your wedding gown as a honeymoon present... When asked for the weather condition they put me across to the MET department. The assistant concierge were not of much help so you had to wait in a queue till the concierge was free to guide you to the nearest Watsons too... all in all too businesslike... not a place to stay if you expect Hospitality and warmth but security wise it tops the list.

Room Tip: see that it is not a connected room as you can hear all the conversations of the people next door an...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank khan22
Dear khan22,

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your last stay at Mandarin Orchard Singapore. All feedback is vital for consistent, continual improvement, so I thank you for your time.

Whilst our seating area is small within the lobby, all of our guests are free to take a seat in the bar or café area where they may sit without purchasing any food or beverage items, I do hope this area was shown to you during your stay.

I can only apologize for not delivering. Although we ask for ample notice for any special requests, made, we must recognize these special events and assist however we can to the best of our ability; I am sorry this did not happen on this occasion. I have reiterated to our Front Office Staff the importance of care and attention and ensuring we continue to offer the Asian hospitality with grace, warmth and care that we are fondly known for.

I do hope that despite these experiences, you will give Mandarin Orchard Singapore another chance.

Macau, China
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The hotel location is terrific as it is located at orchard road. My family and I were repeat customers and stayed over for four nights during the chinese new year, and found disappointing experiences.

1. Over the four days stay, we had trouble with our access key card everyday and had to them revalidated at the front desk -- eventhough we did not had the access key card placed near any magnectic devices in our bag. In one instances, we even had one front service agent not looking at me when i walked up and said "execuse me, can i get some help please". He was too busy
doing some paper shuffling that i guess must be more important than to serve his guest.

2. The club lounge has a dress code policy which i truly understand and respect. However, i found it odd to have it strictly followed even on the Sunday when most businessmen retires into their casual clothing such as in a good polo t-shirt and a pair of decent knee length pants which resulted in a prohibited entry.

3. Breakfast was included in out hotel stay but was informed on the 3rd day that it is no longer the case at the restaurant and the waitress demanded upfront payment. We did not want to make it a fuss and paid in cash. Feeling still confuse, we approached the front desk only to find out from the front desk agent that breakfast is indeed included in our Club package ---- frankly, i find this unacceptable for a up market hotel such as mandarin to have such confusion in their service delivery.

4. The night light function was not working and we logged this with the front desk agent who assured us that they will send someone to fix this for us. We logged this on our 2nd day and til the day we checked out, it light was still not fixed and there was no follow up responses from anyone.

Normally we have high regard for mandarin but this time it made us ponder for alternatives when the next time we visit singapore again.

2 Thank Raymond V
Dear Raymond V,

Thank you for your review of Mandarin Orchard Singapore. All feedback is very important to us, and it is only through people like you that we can continually improve.

We are committed to exceeding our guests expectations; may I apologise for not meeting yours on this occasion.

Whilst there is no excuse for coarse service, we have highlighted a technical glitch in our system, thanks to your feedback, which did not allow all our food and beverage outlets to see the same information, resulting in you being mis-informed. I am sorry for this shortfall.

Our Meritus Club, does indeed have a dress code, including at the weekends. I have taken your comments on board and this will be discussed at our next review meeting. Thank you for your suggestion.

I have reiterated the need for follow-ups to be made with our Front Office Team and to ensure proper attention is given to all of our guests when working in the front of house areas. Thank you for highlighting these to me.

Raymond V, I do hope that despite your last experience, you will give Mandarin Orchard Singapore another try to show you the Asian hospitality we are fondly known for.

Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The hotel was just great in terms of the hospitality service, the cleanliness of our rooms, and the furniture in the room was well maintained....
In addition, the location of the hotel was just awfully strategic.. in the middle of Orchard Road, and very near to almost all public transportation....
Finally, this is the hotel i would recommend for family, business, couples, etc...

1 Thank Budisantoso K
Dear Budisantoso K,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. It is great to hear you found our service to be of a good standard and our rooms well maintained. We are committed to delivering quality service at all times with our signature Asian hospitality.

I look forward to welcoming you back for whatever purpose you choose to stay with us.

Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

One thing i really really like in this hotel
Is the location. Its right at the center of orchard road. Rooms and nice and spacious too. There are two towers in mandarin orchard hotel. I stayed in the main tower which is bigger than the orchard tower. I went to the room of my friend in orchard tower/wing and it is much smaller than our room in the main tower and rates are the same. Reception lobby is at level 5 so you have to bring all ur luggage all the way up to level 5 lthough there are a lot of elevators so no need to wait. Rates are quite expensive if it will be maintained at ard 200$ a day that would be great. I will definetely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Pan20369,

Thank you for your review of Mandarin Orchard Singapore. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and found our rooms to be nice and spacious. Although our lobby is on level 5, our Concierge is available to assist with luggage, I do hope they helped you during your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back the the time you are in Singapore.

Danny Wong
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed for four nights as a Family in February 2013, room 3040.
LOCATION: at Orchard St, next to Takashimaya, in the center of shopping.
HOUSE: Modern but standard rooms, good quality meals (phantastic breakfast, great room service), good service as expected from Mandarin.
SUMMARY: you can't do anything wrong here.

2 Thank BjoernBS
Dear BjoernBS,

Thank you for your review of your most recent stay. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the food and beverage items.

I look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in Singapore.

Danny Wong