“Clean, Comfortable, Excellent Location!”

Ranked #71 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Manila, Philippines
“Clean, Comfortable, Excellent Location!”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel is located right in the middle of Orchard Road, making it easily accessible to the major stores and transportation hubs in the area. All the major shopping malls like Ion, Takashimaya, Paragon, and Somerset are all within walking distance. The MRT is located conveniently connected to the malls and cabs are easy to come by in the area. Food choices are abundant and the well-lit street stays busy until late at night. A perfectly convenient place for those who plan to do a lot of shopping in the area.

The hotel itself is nicely designed and well-maintained. The room we got had two double beds, ample closet space, a sofa desk and coffee facilities which were all built into the wall to create a bigger space. A flat screen TV showed several international channels, and complimentary coffee and tea service was available in the mini-bar. The bathroom was clean and spacious with a toilet, bidet, and shower/ tub. My only complaint is that the blow dryer in our bathroom was old and had tape holding the nozzle together, making it difficult to use. Air conditioning was adequate and set at a comfortably cool temperature. Daily housekeeping did a great job at keeping the place tidy and replenished complimentary bottled water daily. A sign in the bathroom indicated that tap water was safe to drink, but we did not risk trying it out like we did in Europe.

One thing I did find confusing was their service elevators. Some elevators serviced only specific floors making it a bit of a hassle having to go around to find the right elevators to get to your floor. You need your hotel key to get the elevator to work, which is a good security measure on the part of the hotel. The hotel staff was pleasant and helpful, and quick to respond to guests needs.

Breakfast buffet had a good selection of international dishes. A variety of cheeses, sausages, bacon, ham, porridge, yogurt, fruit, cereal, waffles were available, as well as a small selection of Indian and Chinese dishes.

Overall, had a pleasant stay here and the hotel was a good place to rest after a long day of walking, sightseeing, and shopping. I would book with this hotel again in the future.

Room Tip: If you get room 0937 at the orchard wing, you will get a view of the cooling tanks of the hotel. Unl...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Ronabeth,

Thank you for your review of Mandarin Orchard Singapore, I am delighted you had a pleasant stay with us.

We have noted your comment about the elevators and have placed our Meritus Ambassadors in strategic locations to offer assistance directing people to the correct place and to make your stay as smooth as possible by helping with your needs.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Orchard Singapore with our signature Asian hospitality the next time you are in the country.

Danny Wong,
Mandarin Orchard Singapore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I haven't been to Singapore for over a decade and the hotel makes me a disappointed stay in Singapore. Yes, I must say the location of the hotel is great as it is right next to the malls and shops on Orchard Road - but it is only good for leisure; when it comes to the business level, it is no way for me to go back again.

The hotel staff is polite but they are not helpful at all. It is totally okay for keeping your clients waiting in the reception or letting them spend some time at cafe or restaurants when the rooms are not ready; but making them waiting for more than 3 hours and the whole check-in process is needed to be done all over again? No way. There were 3-4 staff at the reception and they have no freaking records of who has handled what, and they have no idea how they should follow up.

What's worse is that some of the staff actually kept out luggage tags and we have no idea where and how we could get it back. And the bell service are disaster.. how can your hotel staff not asking the clients to mark their own luggage before you actually give them the tags?? How on earth do you think a total of 11 baggages could be distributed to all 10 rooms? - it ended up the bell staff carried all the 11 baggages and came to each of our rooms... well, thank you.

Our company actually held a 2-day of event there last weekend and we need to be at the venue for setting up at sharp 4pm. And after all those meaningless additional arrangements, we could not make it at 4pm; but we all actually arrived at around 1pm, and there is no point for us to wait for so long when the check-out time for Mandarin Orchard is 11am... So, everyone got a late check-out on that particular day?!

There is 2 towers in the hotel: Main Tower and Orchard Tower. Rooms are larger and older in the Main Tower, where Orchard Tower is rather newly constructed. You can tell how big the difference is when you actually have been to rooms from the 2 towers... and for me, it is poorly maintained in the Main Tower and the corridor has some strange smell, so as the bathroom where I originally stayed at. After the set-up, we decided not to stay at that room and I demanded to have a room change.

All in all, my company paid for my stay this time but after I heard about the price of staying for one night, I will strongly advice my boss and we shall never choose this hotel for any events in Singapore. I personally think it is nothing to do with the services in Singapore, but this hotel has the worst services and efficiency I have ever experienced. With this awfully high price, there should be plenty of better hotel out there.

Room Tip: No matter what, ask them to arrange you a room in Orchard Tower. You pay for that much of price, you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear missssylvia,

Thank you for your feedback, it is something that is vital for us to continually improve, I thank you for highlighting the areas we can focus on.

I have highlighted your areas of concern to our respective department heads to investigate how we can ensure a smoother service journey in the areas you have mentioned.

I thank you again for your time and custom, and hope we are able to welcome you again to experience the Asian hospitality we are known for.

Malle, belgium
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hotel is well located if you plan to do a lot of shopping. Reception is on the 5th floor but they guide you to the reception desk. All staff were friendly. They've put me on the 33th floor. Room was up to international 4Star standards. Great breakfast will plenty of dishes of all regions. Their choice of bread is limited but you're in Asia so no complaints at all. I took a dinner one evening which I didn't complained. It was a buffet style but all the dishes I've tried were of high quality. All in all a great place to stay even for several days.
For shopping, take a few credit cards. One may not be enough...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear CisMalle_belgium,

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and found our food offerings to offer a wide selction of items. We frequently change our food offering with only staple items remaining. If you are staying for a long period of time, please do not hesitate to ak our chefs to assist, where we will be happy to help with any particular requests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Orchard Singapore the next time you are in the country.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Company had booked the ballroom for an event, and 10 of us were staying at this hotel. We had reserved a few safe deposit boxes for the event, and my colleague who arrived one day earlier had confirmed with front desk that the boxes would be ready when we arrive. Upon check in, I ask the front desk to let us use the safe deposit boxes after check in, she then said she's not sure if we had reserved the boxes?! Moreover, she told us the rooms were not ready yet (as we checked in before 2pm), and suggested that we wait at the lobby. Looking at the occupied couches, we decided to have lunch first. An hour and a half later (was almost 3pm), we went back to front desk, and realized she had to do the check in all over again! When all of us finally got our rooms, it took almost an hour for us to receive our luggage.
Went to the room for safe deposit boxes. There is no way the person standing outside can tell whether the door to the safe deposit counter is unlocked or not. We waited for 5 minutes until we realized the door was unlocked by the staff standing behind the counter.
Compared to the rather elegant entrance and lobby, the room itself is a 2-star hotel standard. Some colleagues had to change rooms because the bathroom smelled and there was mold on the shower.
A friend had sent a package to the hotel for me. When I checked with front desk, they told me to check with Concierge which was located on ground floor. So I checked with Concierge and was told the package was there, and I asked them to deliver to my room immediately. More than 5 hours later, I went back to the room and the package was nowhere to be seen! Called Concierge to ask for the manager, staff who answered the call kept passing the phone to each other and not letting me to speak to the manager directly until I demanded several times. The manager finally delivered the package himself and apologized.
Upon check out, I went to Bell Service to retrieve the suitcase I stored there the night before. The staff looked at the ticket and said my suitcase was stored in Concierge and I should go down there to get it. I asked him to get it for me and bring it up (on 5th floor), he then said "aren't you going to take taxi anyway?" What kind of service is this?!?!
For a hotel that has such prime location, and claims itself as a 5-star hotel, but with this level of service, I definitely do not see where the value is for the money paid.

Dear cali_alice,

Thank you for your feedback. Please do get in touch with me directly at gmoffice.orchard@meritushotels.com so I can investigate further.

Baku, Azerbaijan
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Pretty new hotel located right in the middle of Orchard Road is a perfect location for shopping based holiday! Actually the first few floors of the building are dedicated to shops! Actually the location is in reality very good for any sort of purpose from Business to family trip
The hotel is very nice and has been made on very modern design approach. The swimming pool could be considered a bit small for those after proper swimming session.
In my opinion the rooms, at least the superior room I had, are not matching the expectations if compared to the rest of the hotel. Even though hotel is quite recent the room gave me somehow feeling of being a bit "aged".
The breakfast arrangement is superb!

Room Tip: Don't miss the breakfast!
Dear Dadde74,

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted you found our breakfast enjoyable; you are free to choose to enjoy your breakfast in both of our outlets at your convenience.

I do hope you were able to try our famous Mandarin Chicken Rice whilst you were staying with us!

I look forward to welcoming you back again to Mandarin Orchard Singapore the next time you are in the country.

Mandarin Orchard SIngapore
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Hotel location is excellent , right in the middle of shopping area . Hotel is clean and staff are friendly , however the hotel is not value for money. Expected a lot more compared to other hotels have stayed in , Booking included buffet breakfast , the choice is excellent in range of foods offered .

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Lovetotravel19671970,

Thank you for your comments; I am delighted you found our staff to be friendly and our breakfast to have an excellent choice. At Mandarin Orchard Singapore, we are committed to bringing an experience of true Asian hospitality to all of our guests and we welcome all feedback.

I do hope you took the opportunity to fill-in one of our guest satisfaction surveys to help continually improve the services we provide.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Just a step from the famous Mandarin Orchard shopaholic paradise, this hotel really give the best for its guests. Arriving at the lobby, we find a pleasant and simple atmosphere. Friendly recepsionist and bell boy aleays ready for us. A clean room and amazingly comofortable bed make us enjoy. I got the marina bay view room, so at the peakhour (about 11.00 PM) we can see the lazer light dancing form the Marina Bay Sands. It's been a nice experience and i will visit this hotel again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Robertho P,

Thank you for choosing to stay with Mandarin Orchard Singapore; a place where we create a welcome home for all of our guests, ensuring their stay is as comfortable as possible; I am glad you found it so.

I look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in Singapore.

Danny Wong,