“Location, Location, Location”

Ranked #71 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Dhaka
“Location, Location, Location”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I come to Singapore very often, either for Medical check up of family members, Shopping, or Holidays. Since 1998 have been coming to Singapore at least twice a year and in that I would say I have stayed at this Hotel 90% of the time, why? One answer: Location

For a regular customer coming so many times to this hotel there should be a loyalty program which I am not sure there is. But I have to agree this hotel has one of the best location in Singapore. Besides Takashimaya/Ngee Ann City Shopping mall, Opposite to Paragon Shopping Mall, this hotel is linked to the new Mandarin Gallery shopping mall within which you can go directly to Cathay Cineplex. If Orchard road is the heart of Singapore, this hotel is indeed at the center of Orchard road. Mount Elizabeth Hospital which has become a destination for many people from our country is also very closeby.

Since I have been coming to this hotel since a long time, I am a little disappointed that the Main Tower rooms have not been refurbished yet. The rooms look a little old and furnitures and fixtures remain the same since a long time have also become a little worn out. I did choose Premier room which I did not find any difference to the normal deluxe room in size or amenities but paid a higher price for the Premier room just for staying at higher floors (according to the front desk). But then since I have been staying at this hotel since a long time I know that choosing a Deluxe room is indeed the best option and putting in the request for a higher floor sometimes works. Also the Orchard Wing Tower has new rooms even though a little smaller in size and if you want to stay at this wing you must put in the request in advance (no guarantee).

Would I stay at this hotel? I would say yes, but then I would sometimes interchange with the Grand Park Hotel just opposite the road just because I need to be at Orchard road. For people having no real need to stay at Orchard Road there are definitely better options available a little further down the Orchard road and also at Marina Bay Area.

Room Tip: If you can get the Premier room at the Orchard Wing Tower otherwise take the normal deluxe room. Alw...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Shezad,

Thank you for your comments with regards to your stay at Mandarin Orchard Singapore and thank you for choosing to stay with us as a hotel of choice.

All of our rooms are continually being renovated on a rotational basis to ensure each one is maintained effectively and they are in good condition at all times, I apologizes if they have not lived up to your expectations.

Although a large, busy hotel, we do always try to accommodate our guests’ requests for high floors, etc., so please do ask if you have any special arrangements and we will be all too pleased to assist in any way we can.

A loyalty card is not something we run within Meritus Hotels and Resorts, however it is something we will certainly look into; I thank you for your suggestion.

I do hope we can welcome you and your family back again to Mandarin Orchard Singapore on your next journey.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed August 30, 2012

One of my favorite hotel in Singapore. Location is surely the best at the heart of Singapore's shopping malls. Staffs are friendly and helpful, weird lobby location but it is a nice lobby.
The hotel's standard of services and quality have always been meeting my expectation but the one time recently. So the hotel has 2 towers the refurbished tower and old tower. The refurbished tower from my memory is in good quality, but the old tower (which they put me in last week) is desperately need an upgrade. I got a room with pillows that made my neck sore in the morning, the toilet is clean but rather bad for 5 stars hotel, the broken hair dryer is left hanging on the wall, the showers hanger is so loose that it can not hang the shower high enough for me.
I would still recommend this hotel for traveler to Singapore, but one single tip from me... ask for new wing room until they refurbished the other wing.

Room Tip: Ask for the new wing room.
2 Thank Ivan S
Dear Ivan_S,

Greetings from Mandarin Orchard Singapore.

I would like to thank you for your feedback; something that is always very valuable, and it is great to see the same faces return time after time.

The hotel is constantly undergoing renovations to ensure all of our rooms are kept in a good condition at all times, please accept my apologies if the room assigned to you was not to your expectations on this occasion, I will be following up with our engineering, especially with regards to the hair dryer.

I do hope the experiences you had on your last visit has not stopped Mandarin Orchard Singapore from continuing to be your favourite hotel in Singapore.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I have been staying at this hotel on numerous occasions. The only time that I do not stay here on my trip to Singapore is when the room is not available. Location is excellent for those who intend to shop. Two main shopping center in Singapore, i.e. Takashimaya and Paragon are just next to the hotel. However, I normally ask for the new wing as it is newly renovated, plus the view of Orchard Road, i.e. the main road of Singapore.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Johan H,

It is always a pleasure to have the same faces return to Mandarin Orchard Singapore, time and time again and fantastic to hear that we continue to consistently be the hotel of choice for visitors from all over the world.

Thank you for your continued custom, and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Singapore.

Athens, Greece
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed there for 2 nights and we were satistfied. We did not spend to much time in the hotel since we wanted to see as much as possible from the city. The room was nice the bathroom the same. The location perfect, in the middle of everything. Shops restaurants mall were all very close. Special thanks to the front desk who were very accomodating the day of our departure. We had a flight at midnight and they provided us with a hospitality room for a couple of hours plus late check out in the morning. We appreciated it very much.
The only negative is that they charged 10 dollars to use the business centre.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Christiana G,

Greetings from Mandarin Orchard Singapore!

I am very pleased to here you were satisfied with your recent stay with us and found the front desk staff very accommodating. It is at all times our aim to ensure our guests are well looked after and given our Asian hospitality the Meritus way; with warmth, grace and care.

Thank you for taking the time to share your enjoyable experience, and I look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Singapore.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The room price is under par with the conditions of the room. There is no outstanding quality about this hotel. The only strong points of this hotel, is its location. It is located exactly in the main part of the Orchard Rd. Not recommended.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Hansel L,

Greetings from Mandarin Orchard Singapore.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel with regards to your stay in November last year. All of our rooms are constantly undergoing renovations to ensure they are kept well maintained, I am sorry they did not match up to your expectations on your last visit.

I do hope you will not hesitate in giving us another try where you will experience our signature Asian hospitality delivered with warmth, grace and care. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed here during my August 2012 trip to Singapore for 4 days. They put me in the new refurbished wing, which is nice, but nothing outstanding. The location of this hotel is the best feature of it, right down in the middle of Orchard road, it is practically surrounded by malls. All kinds of choices for food and shopping can be found nearby. And that sums up what is outstanding about this hotel. All the other services is about average, it charges a 5-star price for the rooms, but unfortunately the management seems to be stuck back in the 1990s. I am paying on average US$ 350 for the room for 4 nights, and it is asking me to pay $4/hour to use their wifi (there are other pricing plans, but no less ridiculous). Really? Seriously? If I am staying at a 2-star hotels for US$ 80, then it makes some sense, but this? This kind of "hospitality" really turns me off! Stop penny pinching your customers!

So in short:
GOOD - Location
AVERAGE - Rooms, breakfast, friendly staff
BAD - Penny pinching, no-class management, US$4 / hr wifi access when you pay US$350 / night. Pillow way too soft

Room Tip: no particular problems with the room I had
Dear Lord Lorenzo,

Greetings from Mandarin Orchard Singapore.

I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback; our guests are so very important to us and every comment is noted and certainly considered.

I am delighted you found our staff to be friendly and our rooms nice, however disappointed to hear of your dissatisfaction over our internet connection. Our prices are in line with other hotels within Singapore who charge a similar rate. Prices of all items within the hotel are reviewed on a regular basis to ensure we are at all times competitive. I have however noted your comments and will ensure another review takes place in the near future.

Thank you again for your comments; I do hope we are able to welcome you back to Mandarin Orchard Singapore again soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 24, 2012

It is located in the center of the city. Many shopping malls around it, but the hotel is not kids friendly. The rooms need to be refurbished. The smell of the smoking floor where we stayed is killing. Food was good, staff were friendly.

1 Thank Jihan259424
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Dear Jihan259424,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Mandarin Orchard Singapore.

I was disappointed to read you believe our hotel is not friendly towards kids, although we do not have any particular children’s’ activities or areas, we do pride ourselves on our Asian hospitality which is open to all, regardless of age, to which I do hope was experienced whilst staying with us.

Mandarin Orchard Singapore has three dedicated smoking floors – next time you stay please do not hesitate to request a non-smoking room if this is your preference.

I do hope we will welcome you back soon.

Mandarin Orchard Hotel