“Great stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #109 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Brisbane
“Great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2008

We spent 2 nights at the Furama. The hotel was lovely. We were upgraded upon arrival and were suprised by a card in our room signed by all the staff wishing us a happy honeymoon!
Good gym and pool. Only about a 15 minute walk from China town.

• Liked — Great staff. Nice hotel for a couple of night stopover
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2008

I went to this hotel from company booking and stayed for 5 days.
Overall the feeling isn't too bad - you have bellboy helping you pick up and take your luggage; the reception desk was welcoming. The room was huge as expected in Singapore standard. Everything seems fine except when I opened the closet a very stingy old wood smell just rushed to my nose. Sorry but I really can't bear the smell. As I don't use it often (only for the safe) I don't bother changing the room, but at this rate (I paid SGD200 or so) it shouldn't be that bad.

Food-wise the given breakfast (not the superior side one) cannot be considered as good. The choices were limited. Nothing was really fresh (I had some cold cut 1st day and it smelled weird/bad so I didn't try anymore). Since then I only limited myself to fruit and bacon.
If you really don't like the food there, you still have a choice - there's a nearby food center called Zion Riverside Food Centre which serves many local food nice and cheap. It only takes 10 min. to walk there.

Location-wise yes in fact it's not convenient if you rely on subways (MRT) more often so taxis is prob. the only options around because there are no stations around.

And the only major complaint I have is the reception lady. I cannot make any 800-number call to use my phone card. I tried to tell her to help around but she just thought I was dumb and didn't press the buttons right. So she helped me make the call. But I had many calls to make so she was feeling disturbed w/ all the requests. I asked her to ask somebody to come up to "fix" it but she just ignored. I didn't have time to write down the complaint when checking out but I don't think any receptionist should act that bad to customers.

• Liked — Big room
  • Disliked — Receptionist quality. Food.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Kruger National Park, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

After reading other reviews we were concerned about the location of this hotel. But we neednt have worried..it's within walking distance of a 5 year old to Clarke and Boat Quays. And it's a pleasant walk, yes you have to cross a busy road, but there are pedestrian lights at the traffic lights. If you enjoy chinese food, there is a row of eating houses across the road behind the hotel - catering for locals so the prices are good.
There were always taxis waiting outside the hotel so we never had to call for one, or wait. And then of course, there's the shuttle bus, make sure to ring reception the night before if you want to use it. And the hop-on-hop-off bus stops nearby - great to orientate yourselft with the city.
We were travelling with 3 children and found the hotel perfect - we had adjoining rooms that were clean, odor-free and comfortable. The pool was fab for the kids.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank littlewomen4
Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2008

We stayed at the Furama Riverfront at the beginning and end of our European trip - 3 nights in total.
We were booked into a superior room, which provided a good size bedroom and bathroom. The Furama is a modern and very attractive hotel and has 2 restaurants, internet room, bar/lounge, hotel shop.
We dined in the restaurant for breakfast, the buffet breakfast was quite extensive and varied in the type of foods offered. We also had dinner one night in the same restaurant, which was also a buffet, probably not as exciting. When staying at the Furama on our return journey heading home to Australia, we went to the Indonesian restaurant in the hotel, which was absolutely fabulous food and the staff were so nice.
The Furama was not as centrally located as some hotels and no where near the river!!!, however Orchard Road (the main shopping area), was only 5 minutes away by taxi, the hotel provided a shuttle bus to the shopping area or the bus stop was only 100 metres from the hotel.
The staff at the Furama were very friendly and helpful. The only disappointment was on our return trip heading home, when after travelling over 12 hours from London and very tired, we arrived at the hotel to find our room was not ready. Whilst we could accept this and were asked to wait in the lounge area for an hour, when checking back with the reception staff after an hour, we were then told that the room had been cleaned, but still had to be inspected. After voicing our disapproval with the delay, the duty manager overhearing the conversation, intervened and we were allocated a room immediately. Despite the room being in the smoking area of the hotel, it was comfortable and clean.
Would definitely stay at the Furama again.

• Liked — Friendly staff, clean and modern rooms
  • Disliked — Delay with room availability
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2008

I stayed in an Executive room in the Furama in July 2008---this review is only relevant to those seeking that kind of experience.

Let me start with the only negative---the poor internet service. while advertised as free for executive rooms, the line is painfully slow, and the service is interrupted every 24 hours so that one need to retype a password (passwords and security are an obsession in Singapore). Also, the total bandwidth is limited---exceed it, and your connection is cut again.

The rooms are exquisite; plasma TV, glass bathroom wall, gigantic bathtub, marble tiling, great views, fine relaxing beds, and wonderful silent temperature control.

The price includes a buffet breakfast that offers many novelties each day of the week---French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and many other goodies. Smoked salmon one day, sushi the next. And that is just for breakfast.

The service in the executive lounge is impeccable. Of course, "service" is excellent nearly everywhere in this part of the world. But this one was particularly outstanding. They remembered my name and room number after my first visit. They cared.

Location: central. A 4USD cab fare away from Orchard Road, Little india, the quays and Chinatown. Only 7 USD to get to NUS and 12 USD to go to the airport. There is no subway nearby. Walkers: 30 minutes to Orchard Road, 15 minutes to Chinatown, 40 to the botanical garden, and 10 to NUS.

Ending with the highlight---the all-you-can-drink cocktail hour (price included in the room) with finger food, every day from 6 to 8pm. If you know the price of booze in Singapore, you will appreciate that this is indeed included in the price.

• Liked — 6-8pm free cocktail hour for people in executive rooms
  • Disliked — poor internet service (password-heavy, interruptions, slow line, limits)
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Surfers Paradise, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2008

My husband and I stayed a week in this hotel. We were on the 9th floor and never had problems with the lifts. Not much of a view - Apartments and Greenery - Actually; not sure why they called it Riverfront because it certainly isn't on the riverfront. Nevertheless, the room and service was great. Robes, slippers and tea/coffee. The only thing we missed was an alarm clock. I guess just about everyone has one on their mobile phones. Half hour walk to orchard Rd, and 20 min walk to Clarke Quay Mrt. All around it is a lovely hotel but wouldn't stay here again as it was to far away from everything, although there is a free shuttle to Orchard Rd.

• Liked — Clean and great service
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2008

I was perfectly happy with this hotel. My partner and I stayed one night, on a stopover from UK to Australia, and it was just what we needed. Comfortable bed, large, clean, quiet room (although the decor was slightly dated) and clean, spacious bathroom, and very helpful, friendly staff.

We had a great view from our room. As non-smokers, we would have preferred a non-smoking room, but when we arrived were told there would be a wait for one to be ready (it was only 8am so this was not unreasonable). Having been on a long flight and up for almost 24 hours, we took the smoking room as we just wanted a rest. This turned out to be a good call as I believe the non-smoking rooms are in a different part of the hotel and perhaps lack the views. Yes there was a slight smell of stale smoke at first, but this soon vanished into the air conditioning.

The hotel is not centrally located, but the two attractions we were interested in were the Zoo and the Botanic Gardens, and the hotel is actually in a good position for reaching both of these on public transport. Also, as many other reviewers have said, taxis in Singapore are incredibly cheap and so the whole city is very accessible in this way.

We didn't eat at the restaurant in the hotel as some of the other reviews on tripadvisor were not too good, and it seemed expensive.

All in all, we had a good stay at the Furama Riverfront in Singapore and would certainly consider staying at this hotel on a stopover again.

• Liked — The staff - very helpful.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple