“Royal Experience”

Ranked #31 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Chennai (Madras), India
“Royal Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

It is really a Royal experience staying in this Hotel. Very good location in the Orchard Road, well connected with all the areas. Taxis will be waiting in the entrance so no need to wait. Lobby is really a big one and really a nice one. Staffs are really carring and effective. when I have personally requested them to maintain the temprature at around 18 - 20 C, they have taken extra mesures to make sure that it is taken care. Being from hot country that really mattered lot to me. The food is really fantastic. Morning buffet is treat to your senses. It is very close to big malls and you will get everything close to you.
They have curreny conversion centre near the front gate which is really nice to have if you miss to convert the currency in Airport. Overall Royal value for the money.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank HappyToTravel06

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

Stayed at the Marriott Singapore for 6 nights in April 2011. The nightly rate was higher than similar hotels in the area but I chose the Marriott due to location on Orchard Rd, coworker recommendation and Marriott rewards program.

The guest rooms were clean and modern. The breakfast buffet was very good and a little cheaper if you include it in your room rate. ($44 after tax if not included in with room rate) The dinner buffet was good but not worth the money. ( $85 for the buffet and 1 bottle of beer!). The food republic at the mall across the street is good and much cheaper.

The executive floor lounge is very nice. Water, soft drinks and wifi are available all day. The happy hour with appetizers (5:30-7:30) is great and can make the exec floor lounge worth your money. They have a bunch of food that could very well suffice as a dinner and the value of the free drinks adds up quick since a beer at the lobby bar is $12-$18.

The sidewalk bar / restaurant is good for a beer and people watching - it is bustling until late. This hotel is definitely in the middle of the action.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank williamtraveler
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

I stayed two nights in March 2011 in an Executive King room with Exec Lounge access 'benefits' at a cost of GBP 270/night. booked some months ago (to increase my chances of a good rate) via the Marriott website. I've been to Singapore many times but this was my Marriott stay. I've previously stayed at The Fullerton, Traders, Royal Plaza on Scotts, amongst others. On the positive side ...
1) Top-notch perfect location - and you sure pay for it!
2) Breakfast was also fantastic: I had it in the main restaurant (as opposed to the Exec Lounge): vast, great quality, masses of choice, excellent service.
3) Room facilities, cleanliness, soundproofing - no quibbles.

The negatives ....
1) Disappointingly small room vs others I've experienced in the city and for the cost.
2) Exec Lounge: it's a big hotel and the place was usually over-run with people, making it feel very noisy and busy. Royal Plaza is also a big hotel .. but it managed to create a much more relaxing feel in it's lounge.
3) The "cocktail hour" was a joke: only two very basic cocktails - and neither of them Singapore Slings! Very meagre ... and the staff clearly knew nothing about making anythng other than basic drinks. (I wasn't expecting a qualified cocktail maker, of course!, but the Royal Plaza lounge staff will gladly whipped up amazing Slings and at least a few other options) .
4) The complimentary snacks varied greatly in quality: first night fairly nice, second night not.
5) The staff were ... variable. Some seemed quite genuinely pleasant, some just playing at it - and not very well; no follow through or sense of genuine care. This compared unfavourably with staff at the Fullerton, Royal Plaza, Meridien and any of the Shangri La hotels I've stayed at.
6) There's only ONE free laptop (ie not a proper PC) for the use of all Exec guests, with a usage limit of 20 mins - or 30 mins, depending on which staff member you speak to. Toally under-resourced; I'd have thought there would be at least three for a hotel that size. You can borrow an iPad but still .... And there isn't a printer attached either: one has to email whatever you need to print to a staff member; unfortunately I couldn't see an option on the Air Asia website for emailing my boarding pass so gave up and just made sure I got to the airport super early to check-in in the usual way.
7) They don't enforce the laptop usage limit rule: one guest, who'd promised me he would log off 'shortly' then refused to. He became verbally abusive as I tried to appeal to his sense of fairness. The staff member present at the time was a rabbit in headlights and completely failed to help sort the situation out ... very horrible experience.

Overall I regret spending that much money at the Marriott and I wouldn't stay there again ... BUT I would go there for breakfast! Interestingly, it's the only hotel (from four I stayed at in Asia on this holiday) which I didn't receive a Feedback Survey request from after my stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank wanderever
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

While I am a Platinum Elite Member of Marriott's program, this was my first trip to Singapore and this property. I was very pleased with the hotel and its staff. As an Elite member, I was provided access to the Executive Lounge. The full Breakfast in the morning and excellent evenings snacks and cocktails were some of the very best that I have experienced at a Marriott Property. The staff was very helpful and refused any gratuity, saying it was part of their mission to assist their guests. As for my room, while small in size, it was extremely comfortable with new furnishings. The bed was one of the new "Comfort Beds" that provided for excellent night's sleep.

1 Thank pftambur
Northern CA, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

Overall, my trip at Marriott was productive and business as usual. I AM TORN!!! I was treated very well my Fiona and JoJo at Marriott Cafe for the excellent customer service. I would have rated this hotel a 5 stars except for my purse was stolen in Marriott Cafe - so I have to downgrade the score.. to a 2.

My trip ended with half a day at the hotel with the Community Police officer and 2 hrs the next day to get the report from the Police HQ. My purse was stolen in front of our noses.

No one was in the Marriott Cafe and we were discussing business results over a late buffet dinner. We enter the Marriott Cafe at 9:20 pm meetings and ran to the buffet island to meet the 10 pm deadline. There were two servers who came back and forth to our table but no other customers were sitting around. The Cafe was quiet and had no one else approaching our table other than the two lady servers (change in napkins, removal of dishes, and hand wash dish). At 10:30 pm, I discovered that my purse which I hung on the corner of the chair was no longer there.

When I was at the hotel, the hotel GM did not attempt to make correct the situation but did send their Office Manager to apologize for the situation. I requested them to call the Community Police and the manager said that they only come to the hotel if I lost my passport. I was aghast by the news but was too tired to ask for additional support since it was 1:30 am. I spent most of my time calling credit card service centers to cancel my cards.

The next morning, I requested for the GM and the Office Manager. They were "busy" but the front office did call the police since I asked for additional information. I spent from 10 am to 3:30 pm with the police to have a statement and for the police to review the security tape. The police officers are following leads and are investigating but I had money, business notes, BBerry, and a Coach purse that was stolen.

Due to the response at the time of my alarming the Night Shift manager, I was not fully satisfied with Marriott's immediate response and withholding information - so I am putting a 2 for the hotel stay.

Breakfast Buffet - expensive (not included as in US) or should have been included as part of corporate discount

WanHan Restaurant - fine dining if you are short on time. Very good service

Spa and Pool - Outdoor pool which I did not use due to rain, did use the fitness room which was tight but had all the needed equipment.

Room - overall - clean, no complaints. Marriott brand is consistent based on its brand name.

Service - I experienced the extreme here - From excellent (JoJo and Fiona to Sharon) to the unclear communication and immediate investigation after I notified the night shift manager about my purse theft. I did not have transparency of evidences that were discovered until I requested for the police department's investigation. This left a sour taste in my mouth and very disappointed in Marriott for not havign a clear guidance for their employees for this situation.

The Office manager did go out of her way to provide transportation to the airport and police HQ for me. I appreciated that.

I will be notifying corporate Marriott and their senior leaders to alert them of such occurences. We had a list of hotels to choose from, and I have been loyal as well as dependent on the Marriott brand to deliver consistent services and experiences during my business trip to Asia. I chose Marriott due to the brand and was disappointed that my purse was stolen while I was in its safe and secured premise.

1 Thank VNepicurean
Beausoleil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

Stayed at the Marriott for 5 nights at the end February 2011 on my monthy business trip to Singapore. The rooms are nice, probably a little larger than average Singapore, and well laid out. Nothing fancy, but nice enough.

Gym and spa are OK, gym had a range of cardio machines (no rowing machine though!), not huge but sufficient.

Breakfast buffet was great, good selection of food and drinks.

Food in the cafe restuarant was nice.

Service was of a high standard in all aspects of the hotel.

It is right in the middle of Orchard Road, and if it is bucketing with rain you can still get out and into the shops / restaurants without going outdoors, particularly to the massive Ion Orchard Shopping Centre.

Overall, good hotel, good service, great breakfast, average rooms, average gym, great location.

The only negatives were that you do not get free internet, and you certainly pay a hefty price to stay here, I have had equally good hotel experiences in Singapore for much cheaper room rates, just the location that sets it apart.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

Great place in the heart of Orchard Road. Very good service and the outdoor bar is fab for watching people. I come to Singapore a lot and always love staying at the Marriott. Rooms are clean, decent sized for one person, fitness center is nice and the location is near stuff but away from downtown. Great Exec lounge with free breakfast and evening cocktails if you're a Marriott GOld Member. I've been to several Sing hotels, this is my favorite.