“Too much wrong, not enough right”

Ranked #279 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Canada
“Too much wrong, not enough right”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on three separate occasions and this past time will be my last. I was highly disappointed. I know that this is a "good value for money" place but I am willing to pay more to not have to put up with the headaches.

For starters, my room was dingy. My view was a brick wall and so very little light came into the room. The bathroom was grimy including a nasty rust stain that ran down the side of the toilet. The toilet leaked as well, which made for a rather wet bathroom floor.

The shower temperature was finicky, guaranteeing either a very hot or a very cold shower, no in between. The AC was noisy and didn't seem to really cool anything down during the day. At night it was freezing.

The rooms do have nice flatscreen TVs but limited TV channels and hardly any were in English.

The breakfast was unimaginative. Granted they tried to have some sort of a buffet but no nice touches at all. When I asked if they had sambal or some sort of sauce for the sausages, they flatly said no. The restaurant staff were not very pleasant. The worst thing about breakfast was the tour groups. One would think that perhaps if the hotel is checking in large groups, the could stagger the breakfast so that it wasn't a mad rush at 7am. Be prepared to actually be pushed and elbowed out of the way. Not a nice start to the day.

The internet was ridiculous. You get access for one device per person (which is a bit insane in this day and age) but that rarely worked. In the evenings the internet would be "Full or busy" and so often I was unable to get online. This is difficult for people traveling for work etc etc.

The pool was tiny and not clean and the gym was also extremely small and not actually open for early morning workouts. However, with only one treadmill and one bicycle, it was easier to get a decent workout by running outside.

A few of the front desk members were kind but generally they seemed resentful, worked slowly and didn't do much to solve any problems.

It's too bad because with a few upgrades to the rooms, better wifi and better management of tour groups, the hotel could be quite nice. I however, am frustrated by the whole experience and will not be returning.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Canberra
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Better value than big hotels right in CBD / Orchard. 15 minute walk to Novena MRT - but its flat and footpath. only $5 SGD taxi if it is raining or work out the bus system. Nice rooms - nice pool even if it is small. Good selection for breakfast - but if you are late is has gone a bit cold.... I got wifi included so all you need!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Quality_Hotel_SG, Marcom Executive at Quality Hotel Marlow, responded to this review, November 3, 2014
Dear Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Our hotel is indeed strategically located and you can reach different parts of Singapore within minutes.

We look forward to serving you again for your next trip in town.

Constant Traveller
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed at this Hotel in October 2013, and I was eager to try it out. I had driven by it many times on other visits, and from the street it is a very handsome facility. I had great expectations, especially since the location truly cannot be beaten for the price. However, once I actually stayed at the hotel I was a little disappointed. Here are some details:

First, the taxi driver did not know the hotel, which I thought was odd. I showed him where it was using Google Maps. It was a S$20 ride from the airport, about 20 minutes.

Once in the hotel, I learned the other reviewers are correct; the rooms are tight on space, but fully functional and certainly clean enough. I also saw evidence the hotel was trying to update and refresh the property -- notice in the photos the new "desk" and the flat-screen TV, so they are making an effort. The lobby is handsome and check-in was fast. Parking is easy. Taxis are plentiful, and the staff makes an effort to be friendly and helpful. I had some laundry done, it was returned clean, quickly and at a reasonably price.

There is a bar on the ground floor, with outdoor seating for smokers (very good). The bar also has a filipina band every night, and they work hard at entertaining the crowds. I also appreciated that the bar had a good selection of single-malt scotch whiskey, which is very unusual for an Asian hotel. So far, so good.

But also on the ground floor is the buffet restaurant, and it needs some work. The food was mediocre; the space VERY crowded with tourists wolfing down their meals, and the culinary choices were uninspired and unattractive. At breakfast -- don't try to get a fresh omelet -- it takes forever. The cook works from a tippy table in the bar, and does them one at a time. Also, the coffee is wretched. Most days I walked two blocks up to the Wampoa Hawker Stand and had a great breakfast without the hassles. (Lastly, there is a vegan restaurant on the second floor but I never went there.)

A couple of complaints --

The door to my room did not close automatically; the carpets had just been replaced in the room and they were so thick as to stop the door from closing. So I had to remember to shut it, tight. This was a minor but important security and convenience issue.

Most mornings, the shower never got very hot. It was warm, but not that sharp and refreshing zing you get from a truly hot shower.

The TV is pretty weak -- maybe 20 channels, total, and the BBC and the Asian News Network were the only English choices. No golf, no US sports; no CNN, no FOX, etc. In addition, the hotel had not invested in true hi-def services, so the images on the flat screen TVs were coarse and hard to watch.

Now, about the noise. This hotel is full of tourists, noisy ones. There were school groups staying in the hotel and there were kids racing up and down the hallway until 2 or 3 am. It also is hard to get a quiet breakfast because of the throngs dining before jumping on their tour busses. The lobby at morning and night is ALWAYS jammed with people, milling about, waiting for their groups. I found this challenging, after a hard day of meetings.

The wifi is very 19th century. It seems to only allow one unit to be logged on at each time, and I carry three digital tools. So every time I used my cell phone it logged my PC off the wifi network. I logged it back on, and it would kick the iPad off. What's up with this? It drove me nuts. Also, hang on to the card they give you with the wifi codes -- you lose it (I did) they want to charge you for a different card.

One bright spot is absolutely worth mentioning -- there is a young waitress in the bar, by the name of "Ember" who was polite, helpful, and unfailingly delivered excellent service. She served me one morning when I was trying breakfast in the hotel, and also worked in the bar every night. She stood out among the staff as being highly customer-oriented. Promote her, somebody!

In summary, this is a little weaker than it needs to be. But just to be clear -- this is NOT a bad hotel. It just has a little work to do to be useful for the modern business traveler.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank PilotMike2009
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the review.

We are sorry regarding the unsatisfying experience you had encountered in Quality Café during the breakfast buffet. Our café can be rather packed during the morning hours. To avoid the morning crowd, the Piano Lounge serves executive breakfast daily with additional charges.

Quality Hotel Marlow is located in a centralized district. Guests can reach different parts of Singapore readily. Novena, Lavender, Botanical Gardens, Boon Keng and Farrer Park MRT stations are 15 minutes away from the hotel.

Our room rates are structured based on the service and amenities provided in the hotel. We are priced competitively with other hotels within the same range.

We are proud to announce that as of 23rd June 2014, we have upgraded our internet services with broader bandwidth.

We value your feedback and would like to take this opportunity to inform you of the attractive rates we offer online for advance bookings.

We look forward to welcome you the next time you visit Singapore again.

Faith Chen
Quality Hotel Marlow

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Windsor and Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

The hotel looks ok from the outside but feom the moment you press thw button for the elevator and wait ot givea you a taster of things to come
I was working and had to eat dinnee in the hotel. They seem to be all about the buffet I wanted something quick and a la carte
So into the dark bar. A very small selection and uninspired ia kind.
The hotel is located about 15 min walk away from the MRT station when I asked at the desk he described it as a 20+ walk.
But as basic as the rooms are it is quiet and I slept well.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MissElainey
Bandung, Indonesia
Reviewed November 7, 2013

The room are small, a very typically Singapore hotel, and old too. But they have quite large bathroom, and tv. It's better for travellers, that not spending so much time in hotel. The wifi is free for 1 device per room. The good thing about the hotel is the price, the breakfast ( another hotel with same price, no breakfast included), and live band on weekend (or every night?).
The nearest mrt station is Novena (10-15 minute walking), but you can take the 124 bus route at opposite balestier tower bus stop , and stop in front of Newton mrt station (5 minute) to take the train to the city area.

Tips: A lot of large group of tourist in this hotel, the breakfast time can be so crowded, better take breakfast before 7.45 a.m or after 9.30 am. The best way to get to hotel (if you carrying luggage) from airport is take the mrt and stop in Lavender, and take the cab, that cost you arround $5 (in the afternoon), or just take the cab from airport, it cost you arround $19

Room Tip: Rooms that facing the swimming pool
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality_Hotel_SG, Marcom Executive at Quality Hotel Marlow, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

We very much appreciate your feedback and insights from your recent stay.

We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Quality Hotel Marlow is within close proximity to United Square, Novena shopping Mall, Orchard Road, Singapore Expo and the Changi Airport. The nearest MRT stations are Novena, Boon Keng(being the nearest of all, but may not be the most convenient for travelers arriving from the airport), Lavender and Botanic Gardens.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in the future.

Warm Regards
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are very small, and does not look well maintained. Rooms facilities are poor. Internet is expensive. The price is relatively good to Singapore standards. Hotel bar is nice and I had a live singers show at nights. I think the hotel is better for travellers and less for businessmen.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank boazsharon
Quality_Hotel_SG, Marcom Executive at Quality Hotel Marlow, responded to this review, November 4, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

We are proud to announce that as of 23rd June 2014, we have upgraded our internet services. The system now allows two people to login to WIFI simultaneously.

We look forward to serve you the next time you visit Singapore.

Warmest Regards,
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I always stay at this hotel. Near to the city and very convinien. Room also nice and clean. Price still acceptable. Many group checkin from others country. don't forget to bring along your room key. Otherways you can not going up using lift. Or you can ask the hotel staff to bring you up. Life music at night time. I enjoyed the music with some drink before goin to sleep.

• Stayed August 2013
Quality_Hotel_SG, Marcom Executive at Quality Hotel Marlow, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

It gives us great pleasure knowing that you have enjoyed your recent stay!

Indeed, location is one of the main criteria for both business and leisure travelers and our hotel has one of the ideal locations. Quality Hotel Marlow is within close proximity to United Square, Novena shopping Mall, Orchard Road, Singapore Expo and the Changi Airport.

For security reasons, guests are only allowed to access the floor which their room is located with their access card. We are glad that you have enjoyed the entertainment provided at the lounge. Our crew strive to provide a wonderful experience to everyone in the audience. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards