“Good cost/value ratio”

Rendezvous Hotel Singapore by Far East Hospitality
Ranked #42 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed here for only one night and didn't experience much of the hotel as I was really tired.
The rooms are quite spacious and nicely done. The aircondition didn't work well and it was a bit chilly plus it felt like there was no fresh air when I woke up.

Unfortunately, you have to wait until 7 AM to get breakfast. There is an alternative though for the early bird: within walking distance you can grab cheap breakfast at one of the coffee houses; open 24/7 I think.

As I already mentioned, the cost/value ratio is rather good for shanghai and I can recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the pool, it's much quiter there.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Christian W, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Singapore by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear BigD314,

Thank you for your review and we are glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. We are keen on sustaining the balance between price and quality so that our guests enjoy the most out of their stay.

As we are embracing new changes, please look forward to exciting new features at Rendezvous Grand Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back for a renewed experience.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,346)

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed for two nights in a Club room to break my journey to the UK. The usual great personal service in the Club lounge. I was also impressed that the only (minor) quibble I mentioned in my last review - the limited number of devices per wifi account - has since been addressed. You are now allowed up to four devices for free, and charging is only for faster speeds (which I had no need of personally). As a result I wrote a letter of congratulations to the general manager - great to see such devotion to customer service.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Terry_UTS,

Thank you very much for supporting Rendezvous Grand Hotel as your preferred hotel during your visit to Singapore. I am very happy to learn that your stay with us was excellent, especially as it seems that the friendliness and efficiency of our staff as well as the hotel facilities had made your stay memorable. I would also like to update you that we are now providing free, consistent Wi-Fi services accessible to all our guests.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Firstly, getting around Singapore is easy using public transport - both buses and Trains are air conditioned so in many respects the hotel location doesn't matter too much. As it happens the grand is quite well situated although because of the one way system if you're on the bus route in one direction, you're not in the other. The hotel is approximately 3 sides of a square with one side open. I doubt the views are that good from any room, but that wasn't important to me. On one side however, an underground station is being constructed and this will have some effect if you have a room facing that way. given that rooms can face in or out, you have a 1 in 6 chance of being on the Bennacoon Road(forgive spelling) side where the works are. Ours was a delux room, with heated toilet seat and front and back wash jests integral to it too. We arrived late one evening and couldn't get to grips with the lighting controls (on a panel by the bed) and resorted to killing all the power. Room got warm due to no Air con that nIght!!

The pool and gym were small - but as we don't use those facilities we didn't care. We ate out - so many places to choose from so the hotel was just a place to sleep and change.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Meldrewreborn

Dear Meldrewreborn,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Rendezvous Grand Hotel and I am glad to hear that your stay with us was satisfactory.

Providing our guests with the best possible stay experience and service has always been our mission, and should you encounter any technical glitches during your next stay, please feel free to contact our 24hr front desk.

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Good value for money, Business Hotel.
Very near to Orchard Road. Rooms are functional and have been renovated recently. Excellent F& B outlet, Baja Fresh (mexican fast food) at lobby level. Also bar at lobby is vey nice with daily happy hours. If you have daily 200SGD budget and want a good quality accomodation this is the place.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Harsh H,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to write this review, I am happy to learn that your stay with us was pleasant. Indeed, we have a great variety of food and beverage offers at our hotel and in the area, ranging from the Straits Café, Palong Bar, the Courtyard and restaurants at Rendezvous Gallery. Our excellent location at the heart of the city has definitely brought convenience for our guests as well.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We have just spent 7 nights at this hotel. This was our second trip to the hotel, the last one being in 2007. We requested a room with a sofa bed to be made available for us. This was advertised on their website and clearly shown as being available in some Premier rooms. We booked and paid through our travel agent at a rate of 480.00 singapore dollars.
We arrived at the hotel and were shown to our room, after being told that we had been given an "upgrade" to a club room and this is when the problems started. When the elevator doors opened we were greeted with an overpowering smell of cigarette smoke. This was so strong that we could even smell it it our room. What's more the room did not have the requested sofa bed. We went back to reception and said that it was not acceptable. They acted immediately to have housekeeping check the cigarette smell issue and we were taken to another room.
OK, so this one didn't smell but it did have stains on the sofa (not a sofa bed). I asked where was the sofa bed and was told this is it. In other words sleep on the sofa as it is, it doesn't fold out to a bed.
By now I was so tired and pretty angry so returned to reception again to demand what we had booked and paid for. I showed the receptionist the photo of the room that is still advertised both on their website and within the hotel and she told me that the room shown does not exist! That's right, not unavailable but does not exist! By now I was fuming and exhausted and just wanted to shower and sleep. I agreed to pay for a suite and was told that I would get complimentary breakfast, internet etc. All this was previusly given as a free "upgrade" but now I had to pay S$680 per night just to get a decent room supposedly with a sofa bed.
Yeah, well they took our money and gave us a suite but the photo below is the sofa in our $680 suite. In the end after much demanding we were given a fold up camping bed as a "replacement" sofa bed.
We asked for a late checkout but the only thing offered was a half day rate ($340) to give us an extra 6 hours, in my book a half day is 12 hours but apprently not at the Rendezvous.
I am pretty angry about the fact that we have had to pay an extra AUD $1500+ just to get a decent room and the sofa bed that it still advertised on their site.
Given the number of hotels that are in Singapore I'm sure you can find better than this hotel and better value too and finally don't believe what you see in their photos, they can't be trusted.
Also note that the beds are very hard so not good if you are used to a pillow topped king size back home as we are, also there is no power outlet in the bathroom for the hair dryer so if you need to dry and style your hair you will have to do it in the main room without the benefit of being able to use a mirror. Yeah, really worth paying $680 singapore per night, I don't think so.

Room Tip: Do not accept the first room you are shown and make as much fuss as possible, it is the only way you...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
RendezvousGrand, Director, Marketing Communications at Rendezvous Hotel Singapore by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

We read the feedback on the sofa bed and regret that we were unable to provide you with the exact room type that is currently advertised on our website due to high occupancy.

However, the staff upgraded you to a Club Premier Room (#911) that comes with the benefits that you can enjoy during your stay. Unfortunately, the cigarette smell in the corridor was not acceptable to you.

The hotel has Premier rooms with the type of sofa that can be dressed as a bed from Level 3 to 8 as indicated on the hotel’s website but the configurations for each room type may differ. The staff, being new on the job, does not know that the sofa can indeed be dressed up by our housekeeping staff by placing bedsheet on the sofa and topped with a duvet.

The staff has then offered the Park Suite (#1108) to you as you requested for a separate bedroom, sitting area and more space, but at an additional of $200++ per night. Subsequently you came down and said that that was not the room type that you wanted and show the picture from our website. Our staff then show you the Premier room #811 that comes with the sofa that can be dressed up as a bed. After viewing #811, you decided to stay in the Park Suite at an additional cost of S$200++ per night. As the Suite, does not have any sofa bed, we have offered a complimentary foldaway bed to you for your entire stay.

As we have not heard any feedback regarding the unpleasantness of your stay, the staff presumed that you were happy with the foldaway bed in the Suite.

The comfort of our guests and an excellent level of service are priorities to us. We thank you again for bringing your encounter to our attention, as it is through feedback like yours that will help us to improve our services.

We hope that your experience will not discourage you from visiting us. We look forward to welcoming you Rendezvous Grand Hotel Singapore.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed in the hotel for 4 nights in March. The hotel is in an excellent location and staff were very friendly. Easiest way to get to the hotel from the airport is by taxi. It is about 20 Singapore dollars. Upon arrival, we were welcomed and also upgraded to a queens suite. Room was excellent, clean and complimentary tea and coffee provided. We were on the 8th floor and although there wasn't much of a view, we were able to see sunrise every morning.

We didn't opt for breakfast so cannot comment on their spread. However, there is a 24 hour food court next to the hotel. This is excellent for breakfast for 2 Singapore dollars and also for fruits and dinners. 7 eleven is also next door and subway is just across the road. There is also a coffee bean shop and an Irish pub.

However, we took advantage of the hotel's offer of BOGOFF for their beers and Singapore slings. Yummy drink! Service was excellent.

The hotel is located between two stations, Bas Basra and Doby Ghaut. You can almost get to anywhere you want to from these two stations. The bust stop for the SMEX service is also just opposite the hotel. For 5 Singapore dollars, this service will take you directly to all tourist attractions. Bus stops are also just outside the hotel so transport is not a problem.

The hotel is at the bottom of Orchard Road and easy to walk to all the shopping malls. You cannot get lost.

The hotel also has swimming and gym facilities.

You can also ask the hotel to book you a taxi to the airport and they are more than happy to do so.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the hotel. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank babygLondon

Dear babygLondon,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to write this review to compliment Rendezvous Grand Hotel and our staff. We are happy to learn that your stay with us was enjoyable especially it seems that the hotel facilities and our friendly staff have made your stay special.

I hope that perhaps on your next stay, you can also try out our restaurants. Straits Café offers a great variety of international dishes and local favourites such as our awarding winning Nonya Laksa. You also have the choice of Mexican, French or Chinese restaurants conveniently located at our Rendezvous Gallery.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Rendezvous Grand Hotel.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip to Singapore. I got a free upgrade to a "premium" room, which included a sitting area with a couch and a chair. The premium room was pretty small compared to North American hotels, so I imagine the regular rooms are quite small. The bathroom was very comfortable with a tub and a stand-up shower, and the shower had a dual rain-shower/handheld showerhead. There was construction going on outside but I didn't even notice it.

The staff was friendly and helpful but they seemed confused by some of my questions. Maybe it's my Canadian accent.

The hotel is located in the colonial district, which is close to downtown, chinatown, little India, and the Arab quarter. There are two subway stations within a couple of blocks. It's across the street from Singapore Management University and very close to the National Museum and the Art Museum.

The breakfast, which was included with the room, was incredible. Maybe the best hotel breakfast available anywhere. Unlimited buffet with just about everything, from North American style bacon and eggs to Asian choices like shrimp fried rice, and everything was totally on par with what you would get in a good restaurant.

I didn't pay for the room so I can't comment on the price. But if I return to Singapore I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear lennybruceisdead,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to write this review and we are very happy to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable.

We are constantly improving ourselves to provide the best experience for our guests with genuine care and personalized service. Like you have mentioned, our excellent location at the heart of the city has definitely brought convenience for our guests. Many of the key attractions in Singapore are within walking distance from our hotel.