“Is this the best restaurant in Singapore?” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chef Daniel's Kitchen - CLOSED

Chef Daniel's Kitchen
Cuisines: French, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: See also: http://www.ladyironchef.com/2010/07/chef-daniels-kitchen-singapore-iluma-bugis-restaurant/ http://www.facebook.com/chefdanielskitchen.sg http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/chef_daniel_s_kitchen_iluma_bugis/Chef Daniel Koh is a Singapore celebrity chef with loads of TV appearances. This restaurant is his latest venture, opened a few months ago. It doesn't have a proper website. The above URL, though, appears to be official.
Ayutthaya, Thailand
“Is this the best restaurant in Singapore?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Consider a restaurant in the most unlikely of locations – the roof of a shopping mall largely boarded up. Here you can find what is amongst the most special food in the whole of Singapore. I stumbled upon the place largely by accident. (The chef and I share a name, though we're not related, hence my reason to visit.) And here I had what was undoubtedly the best lamb dish I've ever eaten in my life.

But to begin at the beginning.,,

The restaurant is conveniently located in the Bugis area of Singapore. I visited on a Saturday evening without a reservation, but on reflection a reservation would have been safer.

Internet reviews laud the cheap lunchtime specials, but my partner and I went for dinner which is fairly pricey, but not exorbitant.

I'm not a great fan of salad, but for my starter I ordered a smoked duck breast & foie gras terrine salad. I might quibble that there were only four thing slices of duck breast and the foie gras portions were tiny, but the taste was fantastic, as was the vast mound of baby leaves, dressed in what I assume was a raspberry vinaigrette. Rarely has salad been so delicious.

My main, however, totally blew me away. There were three columns of braised lamb covered with a slice of fondant potato and topped with (I think) grated parmesan. Around the base was a thick, glossy sauce based (again, I think) upon the stock in which the lamb was braised, including Chinese rose wine. There were a few other bits and pieces (the only wrong note being a few marjoram leaves which were rather overpowering), but the overall ensemble was absolutely fabulous.

I didn't have the appetite for a dessert, but my partner had crepe suzette which was prepared tableside. The waitress who prepared the dish was wonderfully attentive and charismatic (as she'd already been all evening), and my small taste of the dish was exquisite and very intense – I do rather wonder whether there was some kind of orange extract (beyond Grand Marnier) added to the sauce to give it its extraordinary taste.

Not wishing to appear too effusive, there are some negatives:

- The restaurant doesn't have a decent website, so there's no on-line menu and no indication of prices
- The restaurant doesn't do wine by the glass. (We had to settle for a carafe of merlot, though we'd have preferred white wine for my partner and red for myself.)
- My companion's dishes (fish based) were less hearty and perhaps not really filling enough.

Still, this place is an absolute treasure. Amazing.

• Visited April 2012