Review Highlights
A trip to Singapore is not complete until you take a tour with Tony

This was by far the best tour I have ever taken. Going into it I was curious about the history of... read more

Reviewed July 13, 2019
Ontheechoinggreen
Australians on tour

Reviewed May 24, 2019
connorv921
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Singapore
from $82.00
from $111.72
from $59.59
from $69.68
More Info
All reviews food tour betel box food stops tony tan geylang district great tour urban development food culture migrant workers private tour local culture local dishes dim sum four hours an eye opener buddha tooth relic temple kampong glam
Selected filters
Reviewed May 24, 2019 via mobile

If you feel like there might be a little more to Singapore than meets the eye with all of its glitz and glamour then have your suspicions confirmed with this tour. Walking through the rarely visited geylang district you will see Singapore’s rarely seen, seldom talked about underbelly. Done in a safe, friendly manner your tour guide tony will answer any questions you have on taboo topics, ranging from migrant workers to Singaporean law.

Oh and not to forget the delicious traditional Singaporean food. Ranging from surprisingly tasty chicken feet to the sweet stuffed bbq pork buns. The range caters for both the adventurous and the conservative eaters. But I’d say try everything once because it’s all fantastic!

Well worth doing. One of the best tours I’ve been on!

Date of experience: May 2019
2  Thank connorv921
Reviewed May 10, 2019

Four of us went for the Sins and Salvation tour on Saturday 27 April evening.

We walked around the red-light district and had some excellent local food! As a pork bao super fan, I can honestly say I have never had better pork bao in my life! (I got some to go!). We also tried some other foods such as frog with congee, sting ray and chicken in coffee sauce. The sting ray was really good too. Although our group wasnt a fan of durian, our guide Mr. Tony picked red spot durian which was super sweet and creamy :)

The tour was for four hours, but it wasn't tiring. We had three stops with a lot of food to share. There hardly any wastage of food and we got to try a lot of new local dishes. We walked around quite a bit but it didn't feel like it. There wasn't an overload of information and the whole walk was informative and relaxed. We got to see some heritage buildings safeguarded by the Singapore govt.

Mr. Tony our guide was funny and chill. We were running late cause we couldn’t get a cab, he did not give us a tough time about it. (Also, because it was a private tour). But he did not rush the tour either. He willingly offered to drop us off at any bar of our choice after the tour. He was nice to be around and give us a local Singaporean perspective.

For anyone who thinks the whole red-light scene is too risqué. I can assure you it’s not. Since the red-light district is regulated, the trade is not filthy and ridden with diseases. It’s safe and shows a side of Singapore that you wouldn’t have known/heard off before.

Definitely worth it!

Date of experience: April 2019
Reviewed May 1, 2019

In January, I went on a New Colombo Plan intensive study to Singapore for Urban Design and Development. Tony Tan was more than accommodating, with his expert knowledge of both Singapore culture and the integration of urban development with residential way of life. He fused these elements seamlessly with our study content in an informed and knowledgable way. Tony was also extremely organised, welcoming and friendly. No question was too much trouble for him. He took us to a gorgeous art deco style section of the city on the Tiung Bahru Tour, incorporating beautiful art murals on walls depicting life during the mid twentieth century as well as some lovely bird cage areas. These are depicted as 'artwork' but in reality had a rich cultural history and symbolism. The fluidity of this aspect of culture could be seen in the names of nearby hotels, and wall mural art works. Best of all, Tony went over and beyond this capacity to accommodate us with some intense tutoring on the development of Singapore itself, talking about Kampong Glam beginnings and more at the Betal Box Hostel. I, and I am sure many of my colleagues thoroughly recommended Tony and The Real Singapore Tours for both tourism and intensive study needs.

Thank you Tony, for enriching our New Colombo Plan (NCP) experience in Singapore. I hope to return one day in the near future. You were one of the agents who made me fall in love with Singapore.

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed April 30, 2019

What brilliant commentary on Singaporean society and culture! I recently brought 20 Australian university students to Singapore and Tony toured us around Chinatown in a highly memorable visit. Not only is he extremely knowledgeable and well-organised, he offers a deep insight to Singapore in a way that both gives Singaporeans integrity but is translatable to foreign visitors. He also goes beyond what is required, helping one of my students find Chinese medicine for her ailment. Its a fascinating place with a complex history and Tony is your man for a educational adventure. We're coming back. And this time we'll stay at Betel Box so we can spend more time with Tony and go through his extensive library. Highly recommended!!

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed April 30, 2019

Me and my friends spent 4 days in Singapore for business trip and Tony helped us for everything. He brought us to try delicious food, learn about culture and grab an ice cream. Oh he brought us to his Hostel too. Looking forward to stay at his Hostel cause near that place, you can find a cozy place to hangout with Japanese culture indeed. Don't worry you'll be bored. Tony knows how to make you laugh cause he loved to make a joke too.

Date of experience: April 2019