“A fantastic place for a lazy afternoon tea”
Review of Drips Bakery Cafe

Drips Bakery Cafe
Ranked #35 of 91 Bakeries in Singapore
Cuisines: American
“A fantastic place for a lazy afternoon tea”
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Went to Drips cafe after hearing quite a bit of rave about it.. First impressions.. Very quaint.. Liked the design of the cafe.. Gives a very spacious, clean and bright feel.. The 'greenhouse' towards the back of the cafe is a nice touched but can get a little warm during afternoon. They should try to up the aircon to cool down the place more.

We ordered a fruits tart, and a bread and butter pudding. Both were brilliant!!! The fruits tart had a lovely crumbly pastry and the fruit toppings were fresh and sweet!

The bread and butter pudding is one of the best I've tasted! Even better then the British ones I've tasted! Soft, full of flavors, have a good portion of blackberries and the vanilla sauce.. Wow!

Price points were a little steep I felt. Near hotel prices. Expect to pay about $8 per slice of cake. But for the quality, and given that you won't expect to eat there everyday of the week, I think it's alright to pay for a very fine piece of cake, nice ambience and a good time with friends and the love ones!

--end--

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
“Food and coffee is great, but…”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is another café I really wanted to love… if you believe the hype on various blogs and magazine articles, Drips is the place to be.

Yes, the coffee and cake is very good. But $7.50 for a slice of (relatively ordinary) tart is just too much. Combined with the fact that getting a seat requires herculean effort, and the thought of a repeat visit makes me feel stressed.

Despite the obviously high quality, we won’t be back.

• Visited August 2012
“Lovely desserts”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

For pictures and more reviews, visit my blog at www.ms-skinnyfat.com

I love the Tiong Bahru area for its bevy of indie cafes and restaurants. One of my all time favorite is Drips Bakery Cafe. Z was the one who first spotted this cool café when they first opened in the Tiong Bahru enclave and couldn’t stop raving about the tarts. Z and I practically have twin tummies and our delicate and exquisite taste buds are so in sync that I trust her with any recommendations. She was so right and I was completely sold.

Drips makes a good cuppa with their intricate siphon technique. I’m still sticking to my espresso blends though. Not quite the coffee connoisseur yet. Hopefully the coffee workshop that i'm attending next week will increase my understanding of Mr. Joe! Aromatic latte ($4.80) that is not too acidic and lightly sweetened by the milk. Pretty smooth on the palate. I didn't need sugar with this one.

So desserts before the mains! Had the Mixed berries tart ($7) which was amazing. I love the crunchy shortbread crust, which has the right amount of butter and salt. I tasted a hint of a nutty almond paste in base. Perhaps that's their secret. The cream custard was smooth and slightly eggy, goes perfectly with the plump sweet strawberries and blackberries. Perfect summer dessert alert!

The chocolate tart is made from a high percentage of cocoa. Same pastry base as the Mixed Berries tart but this time with a rich dark solid filling. I like my chocolate dark and slightly bitter and this has the right balance of sweetness.

For our mains, I shared the Blackforest Ham with scrambled eggs and Toast ($15.80). Drips is very generous with their huge slabs of savory and juicy ham. I found the eggs lacking in flavor though. It needs a little more butter and crème fraiche (absolutely missing). Crème fraiche is the key to a good and runny scrambled eggs but most cafes skip on that because it’s not cheap. BOO. A sprinkle of salt of cheese would vastly improve the taste but even the pepper was nowhere to be found.

What I love is the Cranberry toast which came buttered and toasted. Perfect marriage of sweet and savory with the multi-grains and moist cranberries. Would love for the butter to be salted though :P

What made me fall in love with Drips was the Avocado Cheesecake. The naturally creamy yet light wobbly texture of the cake had me swoon over it for weeks after i tasted it. So I went back a couple of times after and each time it eluded me! The silly me kept thinking that my determination and perseverance will pay off in the form of a light green slice if I just show up a little earlier on the weekends. Weeks passed and still no cheesecake! I finally uncovered the mystery of the missing cheesecake when I asked the lady boss about it. Turn out that they have stopped selling the cheesecake by slices! It is now only baked to order for $68 for 1.5kg. You will only get to taste this on your lucky day if 1.There are extra ingredients 2. There's enough space in the oven for another cake. :( Now who wants to share 1.5kg of green egg heaven with me?

This is my favorite spot in the cafe. This is the nave of the cafe. I like how the natural light breathes life into the place and fills the space with positive energy. OOHM. This is a lot less claustrophobic than FortyHands.

Lace Top by Kwan, Bangkok. Pebbled YSL Easy.
Verdict- Recommended!

• Visited March 2012