“Latex smelling, tyre tasting and puke inducing cocktail being served”
Review of Bar Stories

Bar Stories
Ranked #880 of 11,642 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Kampong Glam
Description: A no-menu specialty cocktail bar, where every cocktail is made to measure! Sweet, sour, refreshing, bitter, strong, spicy - you name it! - our bartenders will shake up a cocktail storm.
Reviewed June 22, 2014

So, I've read reviews around about this bar stories and alot of people have been uraving about it.

I've decided to check it out with my boyfriend, G.

So, when I first stepped I was pretty stoked of what cocktails are gonna come my way.

When we sat down at the bar, service was pretty good. G and I ordered sweet potato fritters and it was good. Next up, our drinks. G ordered a vodka based semi sweet, semi sour cocktail. It was good. And then my turn, I ordered passion fruit flavor,scotch based, sweet and sour and it was really good.

In between,G and I were talking about work and other stuff (we work in the f&b industry and were discussing how awesome bar stories is.) .

All was well until we started talking to the mixologist who's a malay and has blonde hair. We were asking simple questions like what the flowers on the bar top are. His replies were as sharp as a samurai's sword.

The moment that actually took me aback when G went to he washroom and I casually asked if they were hiring and he said and I quote, 'why don't you go ask your male friend over there whether D***y and e****d are hiring.'.

To me, as a person who works in the same industry as he does, that is very unprofessional.

Okay, so when my boyfriend came back, we ordered a second round of drinks, G wanted a vodka based, semi sweet, semi sour cocktail and it turned out pretty average. This time round, I was wanting to challenge the blonde mixologist and told him I wanted a clear, light minty and tangy drink suitable for after meal

but instead, I was served a very revolting drink. It literally smells like latex, taste like tyres and with each sip, I have to control my gag reflex.

I mean, what kind of mixolgist don't taste their drink before serving? Besides, from what I do understand, two kinds of herbs, two kinds of aromatic bitters, two kinds of spices, two kinds of alcohol and eventually all carbonated together doesn't look or smell like after meal kinda drink. Even after a meal of bak kut teh and teh-o, the taste of the tyre tasting cocktail still lingers in my mouth.

Really, if asked whether I'll head back there again, yes I will but without Mr. Mat Blondie around to ruin the atmosphere.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

No bar menu, no predictable cocktails just select your fave spirit and type of taste and hey presto you get your own bespoke drink presented beautifully in front of you. The bar staff are pure genius the way they mix, the tools used and the art form in the presentation.
The bar is in the top stroy of a gorgous shop house on the vibrant Haji lane its really chilled out and a great place to chat and socialise.
Will be back again and again
PS. Be ready for the bill mentally - these are good quality cocktails!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

The first time we came here, we didn't really know what to expect. My husband had heard that they made 'bespoke' cocktails so we decided to try it out for his birthday. We were the first customers in and managed to get a seat by the window in some nice retro armchairs. The first member of staff that greeted us was very friendly and polite. However, the next member of staff, who came to take our order had a real attitude problem. He pretty much snapped our heads off when we were deciding on a cocktail. My husband politely asked "What's that lovely smell- what are you putting in the cocktail?" and this member of staff replied "Stuff" whilst rolling his eyes at us. He made us feel bad for even being there! How rude! The cocktails were out of this world, but the service was awful and we vowed never to go back if that same member of staff was serving. To be honest he really ruined the whole experience for us.
Well, we did go back, this time with a couple of friends. We looked around to see if the rude guy was serving and it looked like he wasn't, so we all sat down. Then, guess who came to serve us! Once again we were confronted with this nonchalant 'can't be bothered to serve the likes of you' attitude. He actually snapped at one of our friends when they couldn't decide on what ingredients to put in their cocktails!
Sorry, Bar stories. We won't be back until you give your staff a serious lesson in customer service- especially with the prices of your cocktails!

Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Great venue, but the story has lost its mojo. So many other cocktail bars better than this. Asked for hell and received a martini. Really???

Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

We stopped here for some drinks while trolling Singapore's Haji Lane. What I love about this place is that upstairs on a Saturday afternoon was such a great place to just relax and watch the people to by downstairs on the lane.

The drinks are made bespoked based on your mood and desires at the moment and the bartender was just super great.

A friend ordered some fries, cooked with truffle (?) oil? It was really really good!