“This place has it all!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Fandango Tapas and Wine Bar - CLOSED

Fandango Tapas and Wine Bar
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish, Bar, European, Pub, Fusion, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Sydney, Australia
“This place has it all!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Three visits on three consecutive evenings. We absolutely loved Fandango! Attentive and friendly staff, delicious food and beautiful ambience. We would certainly recommend Fandango to all our friends. Thank you, Emma for such a great venue. We look forward to many more visits. Pamela and Warren Stewart, Sydney.

1 Thank Pamela S
Emma S, Owner at Fandango Tapas and Wine Bar, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you yet again for your support and the great review. I can honestly say I think you are the first people who came for dinner on three consecutive nights!! It was an absolute pleasure to meet you both and I am so glad you enjoyed Fandango!

Singapore, Singapore
“Post-work drinks and tapas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have been to Fandango a couple of times now and am happy to report good things about it. It's a great setting in Chijmes, located near the MRT in town. The wine variety is good and the tapas menu hits the spot. It's a great spot to catch up for a drink and nibbles after work. They also have a loyalty scheme here which offers a good discount.

• Visited August 2012
Many thanks for your continued support - and I am pleased you have a membership card and get to enjoy the 15% discount!
1,085 restaurant reviews
“Don't eat here if it's going to rain”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

This place has only outdoor seating so avoid if you see the typical singapore torrential storm coming. My friend and I had quite a bit of rain added to our food, but it was alright as we were having a good conversation. If you are particular, it'll ruin your meal. Now, back to the food and service. This place only serves tapas, and to get more customers, they have a decent lunch set with 2 tapas each, a bread basket, for $18. This is a steal compared with what other reviewers had to pay for a typical dinner with drinks here. Of course, when i said bread basket, it was basically 3 tiny sticks of bread, but at least the hummus was decent. Between the 2 of us, we ordered the meatballs, ham & cheese (balls), mushrooms and chorizo sausage tapas. There were pretty ordinary, and the chorizo is not as spicy as what the menu claims to be. In fact, the piri piri sauce taste like tomato sauce. The service is ok, considering there were only 2-3 other tables at lunch. To be ranked top 10 boggles my mind, again

• Visited October 2012
I'm sorry you had a rainy day at Fandango! We try to give some wet weather protection with our giant umbrellas, but when Singapore unleashes a real tropical downpour the only place to be is inside. I hope the rain did not ruin your lunch.
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent excellent excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have been in Singapore for 7 days for a conference and this was without a doubt the best experience I have had in Singapore. Location and atmosphere - excellent. Wine - excellent. Wine 150ml in Australia we have only 100ml - marvellous. Food - portion size excellent and selection and range - good. Service - the best I have experienced in Singapore. Whatever you guys are doing, keep doing it - amazing!

• Visited October 2012
I'm so glad you enjoyed Fandango whilst here in Singapore. I do hope we will see you back on your next visit!
Newcastle
“Very average-poor food and sooo EXPENSIVE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I love tapas and understand that it is ment to be small portions so you can try different things. There were two of us and we had 6 tapas between us, two glasses of wine (the special offer wine of which we had what can only be described as a dribble in the bottom of the glass) and a bottle of beer. The bill was S$190 before taxes. The food was very average and we left still feeling hungry. The service however was very good and the waitresses were very polite, smiley and attentive.

I have read feedback from the owner where other people have commented on the portion size. She recomended 8-10 different tapas for two people. Id have to sell the car to finance dinner!

The location is good and I would expect inflated prices but seriously!

Chjimes is great but this place is VERY overated.

17 Thank StordGirl
Emma S, Owner at Fandango Tapas and Wine Bar, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
I am so sorry you didn’t enjoy your recent visit to Fandango. Since opening a year ago, we have worked very hard to build a reputation not only for excellent service, but also for serving great food and wine at a reasonable price here in Singapore. As such, your comments came as something of a surprise to me. Given they are negative in tone, I would very much like the opportunity to defend the restaurant, and have taken the liberty of finding your bill to ensure I can properly address your concerns.
First off, I’d like to clarify that you actually ordered seven tapas dishes, one dessert, a cocktail, a beer and two glasses of sparkling wine during your visit, which came to $162 before taxes. And while this may seem expensive compared to Newcastle, this is actually pretty reasonable for Singapore and your bill was not unusually high given the quantity of food and drinks you ordered.
Nor are our dishes overpriced in comparison to the local market. When we first opened Fandango, we very much wanted to create a place where guests could enjoy good food and wine at a reasonable cost, and as such we priced our menu exactly on par with the other Spanish restaurant in CHIJMES and considerably cheaper than the ‘celebrity’ tapas restaurant not 100 yards away.
I’m sorry you feel the wine measures you were served were small, however I’d like to clarify that every single glass we serve is measured to ensure guests receive a standard 5oz pour in accordance with Singapore’s licensing laws. I suspect the reason you feel your measure was short was because we serve our wines in beautiful, oversized 18oz Reidel glasses, but I assure you the measures are standard.
Similarly, our portions are consistent with any other tapas bar in Singapore and I typically advise four to five dishes as being plenty for two people, so I am genuinely surprised you were still hungry after seven and a dessert. As you rightly say, I did recommend 8-10 dishes in response to a review in July, however please note this was for a table of four people.
In terms of quality, we strive to offer only the finest ingredients and produce to our guests, and hope every single dish that leaves the kitchen meets the high standards we set for ourselves. However on the odd occasion when guests are dissatisfied, we have a strict compensation policy. Had you asked to speak to a manager and expressed your concerns right there and then, we would happily have compensated you with free drinks or perhaps a different choice of dish.
We want all of our visitors to enjoy their time with us, but we can only fix problems if we know about them at the time. That said, I am genuinely saddened that you did not have a good time when you visited us here at Fandango, and I hope you will give us a chance to make it up to you next time you are in town.