“A little place close to home”

Rucksack Inn @ Lavender
Ranked #31 of 223 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Luzon, Philippines
“A little place close to home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed at RuckSack Inn for a year together with my new found friends and to tell you the truth, there is nothing like this hostel that offers warmth, comfort and convenience for short and long staying guests. Their receptionists are very friendly and yet maintain professionalism in manning the hostel-a very rare trait for most hostel receptionists. Jacqui, you did a good job in running this part of the hostel. Me and my friends still stay at the Rucksack Inn not only because its closer to where we work but because the hospitality provided is equal to a 5 star hotel. For travelers who want value for their money, Rucksack Inn is truly the perfect place to stay at. Its close to Mustafa Center, City Square Mall, MRTs, bus stations and food courts. You have to admire the setting of the hostel as they designed it as comfortable as your homes. Nice beds, clean bathrooms and a small built-in kitchen so guests can enjoy their food as they watch their favourite shows on TV. Oh and their breakfast is free as well. To Ed, May, Serene, Eileen, Sam, Shuihui, Nicole and the ultimate Shafster(wherever you are), thank you for always making my stay as enjoyable as it is.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Wow... I've never guess this hostel really really interesting... They made me and my friends are family... You feel comfort and safe at rucksack inn.. The facilities are good... Someday when I go to Sg again, I'll stay at there again surely.. :)

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but I'll choose mix dorm.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

From the start a very friendly service, the staff are extremely helpful and cater for all your touristy needs. The dorms are clean and have all the essentials required for a few nights stay. Also has a kitchen where tea and coffee is provided 24/7. The showers are clean and well maintained. Computers are provided with internet free of charge, surprisingly these were Macs! Overall a well maintained hostel and would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Balikpapan, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

My friends and I stay at rucksack inn last month for 1 nite. We arrive at the hotel about 9 am in the morning after landtrip from KL by sleeper train. The staff named Mey allow us to checkinn early and used the amenities (took shower even had breakfast) eventhough they noted that check inn time was 2 pm onwards.

The location is quiet good, 10 minutes walk from the Bonnkeng MRT station.

The dorm room, bathroom and toilet were very clean. This hotel has common room with reading corner where we can watching TV, read book, chatt
with other guest and they also provide 3 internet computer at no cost.
During our stay other guest were silent in the dorm room in the evening so I could get good sleep.

The staffs are the star of this hotel, they really care about what we need and seem they know everythings about singapore when I asked.

In the next morning We check out but we left our lugage at the hotel while we went to Universal studio (USS). We bought the USS tickets atthe reception and got 3 dollar more free for each ticket.

In the afternoon 5pm we back to the hotel to take our bags and when I asked the staff whether I could take shower one more time, he answered "definitely".

Only 1 thing should be improved, I found the portable fire extinguisher in the common room is mounted on the wall but the access way was blocked by the chair at the reading corner. It will make it difficult to reach in case of emergency. I would tell the staff about this matter at that time but they were busy to serve another check inn guest, thus I decided to tell them later on.
And unfortunaely I forgot and just remember now (wish the staff read this review).

Sure I recommend this hotel and I will stay here again when I visit Singapore or probably I will try another rucksack inn branch (temple street & hongkong street)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank raharjohenricus
New Plymouth, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

We had a double room which was a smallish size but still had enough room. Mattress was clean and comfortable. Renovations have been done to a v. good standard inside. Outside looks nothing flash.This building housed a mechanics workshop once.
Facilities clean but shower cubicles small.
Free WiFi and internet access a plus. Free breakfast available all day.
Staff friendly. Location on a busy intersection but no traffic noise to speak of.
Minuses - unlike another hostel we stayed at in Singapore, there is nowhere like a verander or outdoor area to sit and eat or enjoy the view.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank twiggytwo
manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I arrived in Singapore at 4am in Rucksack Inn and it is easy to find. At first Im quite hesitant since I am not used to mixed dorms or inn everytime I travel but The receptionist was nice (Uncle Sam about 40-ish year old man I dont know if he's the owner), he told me that I must be very hungry so he offered tea or coffee and toast. He told me if I need anything more, I have to go out. He said that I should feel comfortable since it's what they want for their guests during their stay. Just to show how nice this man is, One of the guests was very drunk that morning so he puked all over the place, from the reception area, the lobby, wash area and the toilet. I know it's really gross cause one other guest almost puke upon seeing him( the guest who was drunk and who puked). Uncle Sam maintained his composure, still sounded nice although I know that he's controlling his temper and cleaned the place at 4am. I went straight to city tour with my friend who picked me up from the inn. I told them I wont use the bed since Ill be out early and will go straight to KL same day but asked them if I can do late check out (its no fun to ride mrt buses and tour the city with my luggage). Instead of 12pm, I arrived at Rucksack at 2pm due to heavy traffic since the roads are closed due to F1 Race. I was very apologetic and explained why but the lady receptionist said that its nothing to worry about. She's really nice too (she's Filipina anyway so its a plus!) Everything went perfect (except on the puke thingy), if I will go back to Singapore and will be tight on my budget, will definitely go back to Rucksack.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ManilaAnne
Penang
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

Nice and friendly receptionist welcomed the stay with great start. Things were arranged tidily and clean. Hygiene were taken care off where all guests need to take off the shoes before entering the room and compound. Free shampoo and body wash were provided. It also provide free breakfast with bread and coffee or tea. Additionally you can use the iMac with wifi for free. Strategic location with 2mins walk away to bus station, 5mins walk to Boon Keng MRT.

All in all, I had a pleasant stay in this hostel.

• Stayed July 2012