2,747 results
All reviews club room peranakan lounge parkway parade east coast park free airport shuttle close to the airport laksa family room shopping mall spacious room excellent hotel late check an upgrade local food rain shower public transport pleasant stay
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The hotel is best even if you are coming with your family or even with your friends, great staffs, can't be better than this. The stores are inside the building everything is there, so if you are planning to stay in Singapore than, this hotel is the best to stay

• Stayed: September 2018, traveled with friends
1  Thank pradeepbhatta90
ChristinaWLee, Manager at Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear pradeepbhatta90,

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your experience at Village Hotel Katong.

I am pleased your family enjoyed our location and service.

We look forward to the opportunity to accommodate you again when next in Singapore

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Where do i begin? The Peranakan Room did not disappoint! Lovely bathtub in which i can just soak and relax while watching the Television (The bathtub is in the room beside the bed FYI). Said room is also quite spacious. Location is good with good food around the Hotel. For tourist this hotel is just 1 bus away from Changi Airport (Service 36). Staff was friendly and efficient. Check in and Check out was a breeze. This is my 6th time staying here and it did not disappoint!

Room Tip: The lower floor rooms are bigger due to the nature in which the Hotel is constructed.
  • Stayed: September 2018, traveled solo
1  Thank Fadly F

Dear Fadly F,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback that Village Hotel Katong has the best value in Singapore. I am glad that you had a great stay at our Club room.

I am heartened by your feedback on the staff service and friendliness, which I will be happy to share with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Very good mix of room size, quality, location and price.Handy for a wide range of shops, cafes, bars nearby and on direct bus route to Orchard Road.(Beware construction of mass transit station behind hotel)

• Stayed: September 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank R0ntheg0

Dear R0ntheg0,

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we could not only provide you with a great location but a comfortable room as well.

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Beautiful hotel..However breakfast not really good.less spread..open parking space.. one of the receptionist during after noon time who reactivate my card was not friendly..during my room supposed to have late check-out at 2pm as confirmed by receptionist during check in..however my card was blocked at 12pm.

• Stayed: September 2018, traveled with family
2  Thank MohamadZ444
ChristinaWLee, Manager at Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear MohamadZ444,

I was disappointed to read about your review and your less than ideal experience with us.

I do apologise for the inconvenience caused and if our service came across that way, as it is clearly not our service standards and commitment. Should you encounter such in future, please escalate immediately so that we can see to it and rectify.

Thank you for your patience and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for a better experience.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I decided to surprise my husband with an impromptu hotel stay for his birthday (8 - 9 Sept). I deliberated between a few different hotel choices but decided to go with Village Hotel Katong because it looked like a homely and friendly hotel which I believed would be wonderful for a short breather from hectic everyday life. What I hoped to be an oasis soon turned out to be an extreme disappointment and source of frustration.

Delayed Check-in

I booked a Peranakan Club room since this was meant to be a celebration. My husband and I attempted to check in at 3pm. We were informed that our room wasn't ready yet and the staff invited us to wait at the club lounge. We had a friend with us, so naturally we invited him up to the lounge with us (which resulted in some looks from the staff, more about that later) for the wait. I don't know why we got those looks, possibly they were worried about a non-guest benefiting from club lounge privileges. But more about this later.

After we waited at the club lounge for an hour, my husband asked a staff at the lounge if she could assist in checking on the status of our room. She informed us that housekeeping was still not done with our room. At this point, we were already getting antsy but decided to just wait a little longer. Another hour passed, and I had had enough. I went down to the lobby and approached the reception desk. A staff asked for my name and then very coolly informed me that my room was ready. And then, he proceeded to continue with the check in process as though nothing was amiss.

My room was only ready at 5pm. Official check in time is 2pm. There was no explanation, no offers of compensation of any sort, and just a very absent minded, "sorry about that". What kind of professionalism is this?

It was a further slap in the face that every time I approached the front desk, I was greeted with this brochure that advertised an upgrade to the club room. One of the perks was "guaranteed early check in at 10am / late check out at 4pm". I had booked a club room from the get-go. Why was my club room experience so different from what is advertised? So, guests who booked a regular room and then opt for an upgrade are treated like royalty, but guests who have the confidence to book a club room straight out are out of luck? I really don't understand this inconsistency and I think what my husband and I experienced was extremely unfair.

Underwhelming Club Lounge

I mentioned earlier that we were getting odd looks from the staff for inviting our friend up to the club lounge to wait for our room with us. I'm just wondering: did they truly expect anything different? He was there to celebrate my husband's birthday with us and just wanted to check out the room we had booked.

It was only after check in that I learned from an informational piece of paper that Village Hotel Katong is quite sensitive about non-paying club room attendees. There was a line about how non club room guests who have to pay $30 for entry during breakfast and cocktail hour. Which, I guess, is fair enough. But it wasn't any of these times, and we were only going to that stupid lounge because our room wasn't ready. So I truly think it was inappropriate that the staff showed any hint of discontent with regards to this.

On a further note, it wasn't as if our friend benefited from the club lounge in any way. During our long wait, I got some yogurt out of the fridge for us (blueberry flavored for me, plain for the men). My husband took a spoonful of the yogurt and then spat it back out in disgust. Upon checking the container, we discovered that the yogurt had already expired for a couple of weeks. Highly unimpressive.

After our friend left, my husband and I went down to the lounge to grab some water and discovered that we had arrived just in time for cocktail hour. Since we were feeling a little peckish and had some time to kill before our movie, we decided to sit down for some food and drinks. And this second visit to the club lounge only left me less impressed.

The moment we entered the lounge (after scanning our room card), we were approached by the staff and asked for our room number. I was rather perplexed as to the necessity of this. I understand why it's done at hotel breakfasts, but that's because those are in an open public area. I just scanned my room card to enter. Surely this marks me as a club room guest? But no matter, perhaps this was just standard procedure and all guests are treated like that. Only, I saw at least a few guests enter the lounge after us and they weren't asked for their room number.

While we were getting our food, I noticed that the staff were enthusiastically taking drink orders and serving drinks to the guests. However, for our entire time there, we were pretty much treated like we were transparent. In fact, the only interaction we had with the staff was when we were asked for our room number. I don't like to make assumptions, but based on my observations that evening, there was a marked difference in the way the hotel staff interacted with foreigners as opposed to how they behaved with locals. Yet another inconsistency in treatment and I was highly unimpressed.

Noises at night

My husband isn't exactly a light sleeper, but he told me that he kept getting awakened by sporadic static sounds that would come and go in the middle of the night. This pretty much resulted in him not getting a good night's sleep. I didn't hear these noises myself because I have the habit of listening to music on noise cancelling ear phones.

At this point, I was pretty much feeling like the worst wife in the world for subjecting my husband to this sort of birthday experience.

Inconsistency in Check-out time

When my husband and I first attempted to check in, we were informed that check out time was 2pm the next day. I was a little puzzled because the stated check out time was 12pm. But I optimistically thought that this was given to us to try and make up for our room being hideously late the day before.

However, there was a nagging feeling in me (possibly because I didn't have much confidence in Village Hotel staff by this time). So, before we set off for lunch, I decided to approach front desk to verify this.

Indeed, I was right to have worried. The staff looked incredulous when I asked if our check-out time was 2pm. Although, he later capitulated and said benevolently, "Alright, we can give you a check-out time of 2pm. Anything else I can do for you, m'am?"

How about a little bit of consistency?! How could you tell me on 8 Sept that my check out time was 2pm, and then on 9 Sept, you act like you're doing me a favour when I double check?

I was highly tempted to just check out on the spot but my poor husband was hungry, so I decided to not delay his meal by going back up to the room and getting our stuff.

------------------------

In short, by the far the worst, worst, worst staycation we have ever had. To be fair, the room was nice and big, but even that couldn't redeem the horrible experience we had at Village Hotel Katong.

• Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
2  Thank squirrelfly

Dear squirrelfly,

Thank you for staying with Village Hotel Katong and for your detailed feedback.

I do appreciate your comments especially on the arrival experience and deeply apologise for the inconvenience caused and the service shortfalls. Please be assured that I have addressed your feedback with the team.

As to your comments, please allow me to clarify that the option for a guaranteed early check in or late check out for club rooms is only applicable to reservations made through our stayfareast website.I apologise if this was not made clear during your check in.

It is the policy of Village Hotel Katong to neither condone nor tolerate discrimination of any kind by our staff and we apologise if you felt there was a distinction in service levels. You may like to know that we do have many long stay club guests; some of them have been with us for weeks and are well acquainted with the staff.

It is regretful that you felt that way following your stay with us. All guests are important to us and we hope that we can win back your confidence with us again.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.