“Comfortable and Relaxing Stay”

Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality
Ranked #23 of 315 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore
“Comfortable and Relaxing Stay”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Booked a Club Room to celebrate Valentine's day with my wife and we were not disappointed.
Checking in and out was efficiently handled by Ms Rachel who made us feel very welcome.
The room was spacious with a touch of Peranakan design which we really like and the bathroom was clean.
We went to the relaxing Club Lounge for afternoon tea and hang out about 2 hours there, basically just having coffee, cookie and reading magazine.
Staffs did a good job with helping guest with coffee and cleaning the area.
Lots of eatery across the street and Katong 112 mall was just nearby, so plenty of choice for meal.

However, there are a few things that we would like to highlight on:

1) Club lounge became quite packed during 6pm, due to the cocktail and light snack buffet (6-8pm) served during that time. However, food ran out within half an hour and was not replenished. We saw many guest went in and was disappointed at the finished tray.

2) Given the free flow drinks and food at the Lounge which was only few steps away from our room and the fact that we are allow to bring the drinks back to our room, i safely assume that the same drinks inside the room was also complementary. But only after consuming some before i realized it was not and paid around $10 for one drink and 2 packs of nuts.

Despite these small issue, it was an enjoyable and relaxing stay and we will definitely go back for another staycation.

1 Thank Ryan0709
Brett W, General Manager at Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Ryan0709

Thank you for sharing your recent experience you had at the Village Hotel Katong.

The hotel has been tastefully decorated with the local designs and colour of the Peranakan culture, which truly sets us apart from any other hotel in Singapore.

I am glad you enjoyed the benefits that the Club rooms have on offer, and these rooms are indeed in high demand from many guests. Allow me to extend my apology for the service shortfall in the inadequate catering during the cocktail service on that particular night. Although we also do extend the luxury of our club guests to take back to their room, the mini bar items are a different range and the in room listing outlines the prices which are still quite reasonable.

I do look forward to having you stay with us again, and trust you are now another one of our advocate guests that has the Club room preference when staying with us.

Village Hotel Katong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Brisbane
Reviewed February 14, 2014

My family and I were recently passing through Singapore for a single night. The village hotel Katong is well located for short stays: about halfway between the airport (~20 mins drive/taxi, they also provide a shuttle service, that we didn't use) and the city (~30 mins bus), opposite Parkway Parade, so easily accessible to food (restaurants/food court in Parkway, and the Marine Parade hawkers), and shopping if required.
The staff were friendly and professional, the rooms were modern and up to date, and they provided a small mattress (out of one of the baby cots) for my 3 year old, and a teddy bear, free of charge. Besides that, there isn't much for kids to do. There's a pool, but it's very simple, and I didn't notice a shallow section for the little ones. This wasn't worth worrying about for our short stay though.
One extremely small point is that the modern rooms don't have baths. My wife was hoping for one after a long flight, but it was not to be. A very small point, but worth noting.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Hsuan L
Dear Hsuan L

Thank you for showing your support of the Village Hotel Katong from your recent stay.

I am very pleased we were able to provide the small touches that makes all the difference. Our team strives to resonate a great experience in every encounter they have with the guest.

For your next stay, be sure to go onto our hotel website and book our spacious family rooms, or better still one of our Premium Peranakan rooms or suites that come with a very sizable bath tub. It is perfect to relax in post a long flight, or to bath the kids?

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon when passing thru our way.

Australia
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Recently I was transiting in Singapore (something I do quite often), and had too much time there to make the airport transit hotel a viable option. Crowne Plaza was outrageously expensive, and although I'm an Accor Advantage Plus member, I don't particularly like the Roxy (though its Chinese restaurant is good). I've stayed before at Changi Village, but felt like a change. I took a stab at Katong Village, mostly because it was a great price and I figured the standard would be okay.

Turns out I made a mistake on the booking (through Agoda), entering 11 March instead of 11 February. The trouble was I had selected a 'no change, no refund' option. I rang Agoda and explained the situation. They very kindly rang the hotel, who initially said that (for an outrageous price, but nevertheless cheaper than I could get a room at another hotel) I could change the date. In follow-up correspondence, however, Agoda was told that I could not change the booking.

I knew I didn't have a leg to stand on, but I decided to try one more time. I rang the Far East booking office in Singapore, and got a very helpful person, who suggested I write an email explaining the situation. Within a few hours, they had agreed to allow me to change the date. Although I ended up spending way more than I expected, it was a good outcome.

The visit itself was also a pleasant surprise.From the outside, the hotel doesn't look like anything very much, but the recently renovated interior was excellent. My room was on the carpark side, which was a real bonus, since it is set so far back from the road. Probably the most peaceful place I've ever stayed on my many trips to Singapore. The internet was free and easy to access, which is always a bonus.

I ate one meal in the restaurant. I would have preferred a la carte, but the buffet seemed to be the only thing on option (I had originally considered room service, but there was no room service menu in the room and I couldn't be bothered trying to get one). There wasn't a huge range, but the food was great. Good, honest peranakan cuisine. Ditto for breakfast. I was also very pleased to find that the 6:30 start for breakfast (which is late for a hotel likely to attract a reasonable number of people with early flights) was actually quite flexible - a quality not always at the forefront in Singapore.

I caught the airport shuttle back to airport. The schedule was a bit sparse but the guy running it was good-humoured and helpful.

Overall, I was very happy with my stay, and would definitely consider staying at Katong Village again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Global_academic
Dear Global_academic

Good to hear you enjoyed your first stay at the Village Hotel Katong.

The recently refurbished hotel has a lot to offer, with high speed internet, a relaxing pool and quiet and spacious rooms. All this supported by a team of service champions and a free airport shuttle service for our guests.

It sounds like we have won you over, and no doubt you will automatically choose Village Hotel Katong for all your future visits.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 12, 2014

酒店位置尚算方便, 因為去機場和濱海區都很近, 而且酒店有穿梭巴士提供, 職員有禮貌, 因為新裝修的關係, 所以房間很整潔, 亦相當寬敞, 附近多是住宅, 環境清幽, 有渡假的感覺, 那裏還有超市和很多食店, 味道很好的. 我很喜歡這裡還會再來. And than Hotel is near by East Coast Park, You can take shuttle bus from Hotel to there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Karen C
Dear Karen C

Thank you for providing your experience from your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.
I appreciate your favourable comments and I am glad the hotels convenient location was to your needs.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back again soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 7, 2014

What I have to say about this hotel,rooms are well equipped.Little thing like iphone dongle and bottled drinking water .
Every rooms has a small balcony and 46ins.flat tv.,but corridor are narrow.A bit disappointed that the designer of this hotel placed the highest floor to normal rooms,where the high end to lowest level.
Have try their Club room,great service,but breakfast a bit disappointed at the executive lounge (not much choice).One thing I like most,a Nesspresso coffee-machine with some selection of coffee.
Staffs there are very friendly ,front desk,executive lounge and some of the café crews.

Room Tip: Don't ever ask for a connecting room type..if you staying only one room.If next door making too...
1 Thank moppetwayne
Brett W, General Manager at Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear moppetwayne

Thank you for taking time to provide your review from your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.

It was pleasing to read you enjoyed the Hotel Club rooms and lounge during your stay. We have recently reviewed the breakfast offering in the lounge, and have already increased the variety to only enhance the experience to our guests. I thank you for contributing to this operational change.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back again soon.

Cairns, Australia
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Was pleasantly surprised by this new hotel relatively close to the airport. Arrived at airport at 11pm. Used the free airport shuttle service. No problems there.

Excellent service by staff at check in. We had booked a discounted superior room (without breakfast) online. Was upgraded to a club room with free breakfast and free late checkout, as our forward flight didn't leave till the following night. Didn't even have to ask.

Modern spacious room with lounge suite area. Colour scheme was very attractive - teal blue and cream. Peranakan style (Nonya from Malay/chinese mix). Tiles in bathroom were gorgeous. Lovely thick dark blue curtains over cream lace provided excellent light blockout for a sleep in. 2 pillows per person, one soft, one a little harder.

Coffee, tea and minibar. Iron and ironing board. Safe in room. Lots of bench space for placing your own belongs and suitcases. Umbrella and personal weight scales in wardrobe. 2 towelling bathrobes also provided. Free wifi. Air conditioner worked very well. Minimal street noise. Room was very clean.

Breakfast was served in a small dining room on our floor. Dishes replenished quickly as they depleted. Very good choices. Something for everyone. You could go in there at any time during the day and help yourself to biscuits, cake etc and great coffee (Made from pods with a very fancy machine) or several choices of tea varieties. Free newspapers.

Fair Price Supermarket in basement of hotel.

Close to shopping centres, stacks of restaurants, markets and hawker centres.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LRMcK
Dear LRMcK

Thank you for taking time to provide your valued feedback from your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong. I notice you are a top contributor for Trip Advisor and a seasoned traveller, so to be able to receive a 5 star review from you is very rewarding, thank you.

I am very pleased you had the opportunity to experience our great service standards, and enjoy the recently fully refurbished hotel and all the luxury it has to offer at an affordable price. The convenience of the supermarket and other connected facilites such as restaurants and pharmacy is of real value to our guests.

I have passed on your positive comments about your experience to the team at this mornings briefing, which they were grateful of the recognition.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back to Village Hotel Katong again soon.

Kirkkonummi, Finland
Reviewed February 6, 2014

It was our first time in Singapore and that was indeed a wonderful experience. The hotel was clean, staff really friendly and helpful - they really were there for you!!
The room was excellent, big with balcony.
The location was a bit outside city center, but it was easily accessable by local buses which went close to hotel. There is also shopping malls nearby hotel.

1 Thank Paivi M
Dear Paivi M

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us from your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.

The team are very much here to make all our guest experiences memorable, and I am glad we were able to do this for you.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back again soon when next in Singapore.