“Great choice for a local experience”

Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality
Ranked #24 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
“Great choice for a local experience”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I got a pretty good deal as part of the hotel's opening special. Decided to use it for a staycation with friends who aren't familiar with the Katong area, and they loved it. Highly recommended for tourists who want to experience something less touristy and more authentic. Many excellent eateries within walking distance.

The room was generally good, with interesting Peranakan elements yet staying contemporary. I liked the bathroom, especially the shower. The pool and gym were a little smaller than what I would have liked.

Service was excellent. Sam, who was on duty at the front desk on the night of 21 December, went out of his way to help me with something that he totally didn't have to, and he did it with such sincerity. The manager on duty at Katong Kitchen on the morning of 22 December, whose name I didn't get, was also very accommodating with our requests. Even the chef at the egg station (James?) was so friendly that I almost felt like he was my private chef!

For a hotel that just opened, Village Hotel Katong has gotten much of its operations in place, which is not easy even for the well known luxury chains.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ChesterChua
Brett W, General Manager at Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Dear ChesterChua

Thank you for taking time to provide such great feedback about your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.

The hotels decor of peranakan styling amidst the local Katong precinct allows our guest to truely "live like a local".

It was pleasing to hear the team, in particular Sam and James, were able to deliver exceptational service to you, and I will be sure to pass on your comments.

We look forward to being able to welcome you back to Village Hotel Katong soon.

Village Hotel Katong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I booked this hotel via Agoda.com. The rate for Superior room is USD 171.225(around IDR 2,084,664 with USD 1 = IDR 12,175) per night per room. I booked 2 rooms. One for my parents and the other one for my family.

Village Katong hotel has a shuttle bus to Changi airport. That is really handy so we don't have to drag our luggage to MRT and it is free. It's far from downtown but it's fine for us because we don't need to go to downtown at the time we were staying there. We arrived at the evening and after having dinner just go to bed directly to sleep.

What makes me feel discomfort is when the check-in staff tried to sell upgraded rooms to us which costs "only" SGD 600 more per room. She tried it hard and she did it again and again, like 3 or 4 times before she finally gave-up trying to persuade me to upgrade.

I didn't want to upgrade. I think the room size is more than enough for us (2 adults and 2 children). We rarely used 2 rooms that makes us stayed separately with the children. From our experiences, it was hard not to go back and forth from one room to another and not every hotel has available rooms with connecting doors.

Besides the check-in process that gave me hard times, rooms are very clean with modern design, new furnitures and it is huge. Space is one luxury thing that hardly find when you are staying in Singapore. This hotel doesn't have problems with the size of the rooms or the lobby. The bellboy and the shuttle bus driver are very friendly and tried to help a lot with information about direction to the harbour.

Overall, it is a nice stay at Village Katong Hotel except the check-in lady "incident".

1 Thank awe2011
Brett W, General Manager at Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear awe2011

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.

Allow me to apologise for the way the staff went about trying to upsell you to our Club rooms and the club experience. The option should also be that of the guest, and I assure you it would of been only from good intent as the staff wanted you to experience it for yourself.

The upgrade to the Club rooms and the club benefits are currently only SDG$50.00++ per night, and well worth it.

You noted the pleasant experience you had with the Bell team and the Shuttle Driver, and I will be sure to share your comments with them. The Free Airport Shuttle Service is a great way to get to and from the Airport, and we welcome all our guests to use this free service.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback about your stay, and I look forward to having you stay with us again when next in Singapore.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Checked in for the weekends. The building seemed a bit run down initially. However, upon entering the lobby area, my impression totally changed. It was nice and cosy and we were greeted by friendly staff and check in was prompt.

The room was well furnished (impressive) and very clean. Had cocktail and finger food at the lounge in the evening and the food provided was good. We were served by Marlene, who was very helpful and went out of her way to ensure that everyone's needs were well attended to. Guests were very happy to be served by her and we could also see that she was genuinely keen on interacting with and serving the guests.

All in all, the hotel's facilities and location was good, the food was pleasant, and most importantly, the room and staff were exemplary, which I feel is paramount. I would definitely revisit!

An awesome experience!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank GZGZGZGZGZ
Dear GZGZGZGZGZ

Thank you for taking time to provide such a wonderful review of your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.

Your comment in particular about "the room and staff were exemplary" is very pleasing to hear, and I thank you for sharing this with me.

I will also be passing on your personal comment to Marlene who was of service to you. The Peranakan Lounge is a great experience for our guests, and for it to be supported by an engaging staff member is very rewarding.

I look forward to being able to host you again in the near future.

Miri, Malaysia
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Travelled to Singapore for annual family vacation in late December '13.
1. Location : Suburb area. Not too far from city centre. Approximately 15-20 minute by road.
2. Hotel staff: Friendly, helpful. Especially the bell captain Mr Ismail and also Mr Ayob.
3. Taxi: I only waited for 5 minutes at the lobby after asked the concierge to call. Every time. Never had to queue since not that many guest around.
4. Room: Stayed in kingsize superior. Spacious even with 2 adults and 2 kids. Clean, new and modern interiors with tea making facility. Minbar is chargeable. With balcony so that you can hang wet clothes under the sun. Glass wall bathroom with rain shower. Quite soundproof. Compared to the other 4 or 5 stars Singapore city hotel I stayed before, this one is a class above.
5. Facilty: Huge lobby, free wifi in room, decent look cafe, gym and pool.
6. Overall: Satisfied with my choice. This is quite a new hotel. Taxi drivers used to know the location as Paramount hotel (formely known as). I have to mention Paramount to tell the taxi drivers where is the hotel. Just be prepared with enough cash and small change to pay for the taxi. Depending on location you want to go, taxi fares is around SGD 12-25 per trip. One day you may spend around SGD 40 for one round trip. Attached to the hotel is a new mall with lot of choices from the grocery store, a laundry and a pharmacy. Parkway parade and 112 Katong is just 15 minutes walk to find for restaurants. The area also surrounded by local shophouses where you can find places for meals. Will definitely stay here again.

1 Thank romy1717
Dear romy1717

Thank you for taking time to post such a detailed review of your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.

It was pleasing to hear you enjoyed your stay and the service rendered. I have since personally passed on your positive comments to team member Ismail and Ayob, who were very pleased to be recognised in this way.

The hotel has been recently renovated and with being in such a great location, has so much to offer every type of travelling guest. I thank you for listing just some of the great things about the hotel in your review.

I look forward to being able to accommodate you again when next in town, and be sure you pass on your great experience to your family and friends

Singapore
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Very reluctant bout the hotel at first becos i dun like the perankan settings...
But the service provided from the staff were excellent even though she wasnt even smiling.
The premier room upgraded for us was really huge.
I really like the long table that we bought food back for dinner from the market opposite Parkway Parade.
The swimming pool is very small and crowded so we didnt swim.
I like it that theres NTUC Finest (supermarket) on 1st floor and alot of local cuisine and even thai / jap / korean / italian food just across the road.

This is definitely currently my fav SG hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Brett W, General Manager at Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear KaseyTan

Thank you for your great feedback about your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.

The Peranakan Rooms are very spacious and are quickly becoming a room of choice for our guests. It was pleasing to hear you too enjoyed it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel now that we are your favourite in Singapore!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We had a 1-night staycation the weekend before Christmas. The check-in process was relatively smooth and fast-free. We were told that the baby cot we had requested for earlier is already in the room, but later discovered that it wasn't. It wasn't a big issue. They just needed one reminder and the cot was in. The check-in staff and lobby staff were helpful, and had provided us with essential information about the hotel, and had highlighted the lift and keycard issue. I think you need to hold the card there for a few more seconds to activate it.

We booked a normal room, and it was more spacious than expected. The hubby opined that probably they used small standalone side tables which looked less bulky. Even with the cot on side of the bed, we had space to walk around and sit by the other side to chill.

The green Peranankan theme room was a refreshing change from the usual white hotel rooms we usually encounter. The bathroom was rather spacious as well. No issue with cleanliness as well. The only thing we noticed that was rather old is the railings at the balcony outside. We guessed that they probably did not renovate this portion. Not a big issue as well, as the weather was wet and we didn't access the balcony much.

The hotel is connected to the mall, Katong Village. It was very quiet when we were there for dinner that Sat night. There are about 7 eateries in total, a couple of children-related services, and a supermarket. We went back after our check-out on Sun afternoon and it was still relatively quiet.

The hotel's buffet breakfast was average. The spread had the usual ham and toast, cereals, eggs and harsh brown. There was also a nasi lemak corner. Service staff were friendly though.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Brett W, General Manager at Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear yun3101

Thank you for sharing your experience you had at Village Hotel Katong.

The hotel has recently been refurbished and has used the local Peranakan culture through its decor, which brings the local vibe into the hotel and allows our guest to live like a local.

The size of the hotel rooms are very large to today's standard and I receive many positive comments on this. The hotels location to many restaurants and the shopping malls makes us an obvious choice when wanting to stay on the East Coast.

Thank you for supporting the hotel with your comments, and the team look forward to being able to welcome you back again soon.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We checked in about 5pm on a weekday, for a 7-night stay in late December. We were greeted warmly and offered an upgraded room for an additional $20 per night. I readily agreed (I'm a sucker for that kind of thing), and we were delighted when we saw our room, #524. It was quite large, had a deep free-standing bathtub near the bed, and was spotlessly clean to the backs of the drawers. The cleanliness was all the more impressive because the bathroom was partitioned off not with walls, but with floor-to-ceiling smoked glass panels. It's tough to keep those things spotless!

Some of the highlights which spring most readily to mind: We never heard our neighbors, the Grohe rain shower which pumps out at least 10 gallons per minute, the excellent buffet breakfast at Katong Kitchen, the fast wireless and wired internet, and the most comfortable bed we've found. Not too hard or too soft, but perfect for us and with pillows to match. The hotel is also located in one of my favorite areas of Singapore, near East Coast park, and across the street from Parkway Parade mall as well as a great hawker center, wet market, and a mid-sized inexpensive shopping plaza. There are even a couple organic food shops. As we hadn't stayed at this hotel before, the mall and grocery it sits atop of were a very nice surprise. We also enjoyed the pool, though it was a bit chilly outside for half of our stay. The pool is round, about 11 meters in diameter, with depths ranging from about 1.3m to perhaps just over 2m.

Also excellent are the friendly staff. It is nice to stay at one place for a week or more because you begin to recognize people. We had no trouble recognizing Ismael, who brought up our bags upon our arrival, and always greeted us warmly thereafter. He spent at least 10 or 15 minutes of his time telling us about the community, the culture, the best places for food (and what to order), the history of this (new) hotel and the designated historical building which houses it. That kind of personal attention really makes me feel good about a place, and all the employees we met were like that. The restaurant staff deserves special mention as well. The staff give the impression that they are happy to be working there, and proud of their hotel.

Well, so are we! This is our new favorite place to stay in Singapore.

Room Tip: 524 was very quiet, bright, and had lots of lighting options.