“Traditional nasi lemak”

Cuisines: Malaysian, Singaporean
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The nasi lemak is really good here, especially some of the traditional items. The chicken wings are crispy and juicy coated with just the right amount of batter. One wing wasn't enough. My favorite item is the very tasty sweet sambal which tastes a little like the Indonesian sambal bajak. They also offer spicy sambal, emphasis on "spicy," so buyer beware! They also serve lots of other dishes, but I recommend sticking to the traditional nasi lemak items which are the best (rice, chicken wing, ikan bilis, egg, and lots of sweet sambal). My biggest complaint is it's a bit out of the way, in Upper Thomson.

Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

the rice was too salty. the fried chicken wing was a disappointment. After eating the fried batter, what remains is the tasteless meat . It is very obvious that they restaurant uses poor quality frozen meat

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Me and my husband went to this Nasi Lemak place in Upper Thomson. Very generous on the rice serving ( take as much rice, as you like for just 1.00 SIND) It's a buffet style, so you take what ever you like and pay at the cashier. Most of the dishes I've tried all very tasty. So far I never paid more than 10.00 SIND p.person including drinks. Some may say... it's too much but personally I think the pricing is reasonable if your are happy with the food. I went to this place 5 times in 2 weeks while I was in Singapore and even took some friends and they really enjoying the food. If you are around there, do drop by and give it a try. If you cannot take spicy, plenty other dishes you can eat. Just ask the staff, they be more than happy to help you. Opening hours from 6pm till 3am.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

They had a free flow of nasi (rice) and it was more of a "self-service-choose-your-own-side-dish" theme which was something new and nice. But, It was a very overpriced nasi lemak for me and my family given that I had tasted better with a cheaper price. (like those in changi)

What really disappoint me at this place is their poor service. The aunty (cashier) raised her voiced with my father and brother repeatedly. Basically my bro and my dad was already paying their nasi lemak and wanted to order drinks, this aunty kept talking to them in malay and my dad was already saying, "sorry I dont understand you" and she still kept on talking on malay repeatedly and my dad was as well repeatedly saying "sorry" (singlish term for I beg your pardon) until I think the aunty got irritated that she raised her voice. Luckily my husband who can speak malay was there and told her off that my dad and bro do not speak malay language. She didnt even apologize and was like banging the cashier.

Oh well, we ate without finishing the food and left.

I will never go back to this horrible eatery again.

1  Thank Nizzie09
Reviewed April 24, 2012

You think you have to go to Malaysia to enjoy Nasi Lemak. Just stop short before the Causeway at Upper Thomson and find the Nasi Lemak Kukus restaurant. It's stylishly modern and still modest outfit hosts probably the best Nasi Lemak restaurant in Singapore. The rice is steamed, not boiled and gives a great taste. Meals start at four Singapore Dollars, a real good deal. You can choose from the basic dish that includes chicken wings that are always freshly cooked, one fish and steamed rice. Add plenty of additional treats. A secret delicacy is their dory fish. Together with rice and egg, a savory treat.
The team in the kitchen is from Indonesia. If you are lucky you can also meet the owner. He is not always there, because.... he is flying one of those giant Airbuses 380 in the cockpit.
We stopped several times at this place and found the quality of Nasi Lemak Kukus superb. If you are lucky, you can park right in front of the restaurant. For free.

2  Thank pemburu47