“Backpacker's choice”

Mercury Backpackers' Hostel
Ranked #187 of 241 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Clean room, a stone's throw away from the MRT and hawker places, electronic locker, linen comforter and towel provided, hot and cold shower, and best of all... really cheap!! Didn't really care about customer service because for the price, my expectations were very basic and pretty much DIY. Staff are friendly and helpful by the way. Didn't have issues because again, my expectations were very basic.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Pampaganda

Reviewed July 12, 2013

The Downside:
- No elevator (and it's quite bad cos I travelled with children and was assiged to 4th floor).
- Common room was dark and TV stations are limited.
- Room was small. I booked for 2 family rooms and was assignend to a 6-bed dorm instead, stating the rooms aren't available (which I wasn't sure if they're telling the truth. Well, I was able to book the room, so why aren't they available in the first place?). I asked for rooms on lower levels and they simply said it's not open. I guess people on 2nd and 3rd floors are more of a longer stay while guests on 4th floor tend to be overnighters.
- It can be noisy in the room... be it from the traffic or from the rooms adjacent to yours

But... I still enjoyed my stay because
- Staffs are friendly. They helped a lot on directions, finding food courts, etc
- It's close from the Lavender MRT Station, bus stops and cheap food courts, 24-hour convinient store, etc
- AC is good. The kids in my group slept well and they loved the bunk bed
- Bedrooms and bathrooms are clean. Hot water is available too.
- Free internet is available downstairs
-It's cheap... A couple Singaporean friends had asked me about where I stayed and whenever I stated the price, they said it's cheap... even for a hostel they say it's still a great deal.

So, if you do stay in this hostel, I suggested:
- Don't bring heavy bags and TRY to ask for rooms on the lower level. Especially when you're travelling in a group of 4. I think they have 4-bed dorms the most.
- Go shower early (or late). I stayed for a week and observed that most people on my floor shower around 8 or 9. They have 3 bathrooms on each floor but they have 6 or 7 rooms. So there'll be waiting time on peak hours.

Other than that, enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on lower level. 4th floor can be a challenge for some, especially if you're travel...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The location of the hostel is brilliant right by the MRT and a few stops away from main attractions. We stayed in a four bed dorm, they are quite a tight squeeze but didnt seem to be too much of a problem. The shower and toilet area is very clean! the staff on main reception are very helpful and friendly which just adds to a more enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: The dorms are quite a tight squeeze but are bearable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Went there with my business friend, he loved to go backpackers. Actually this is my first time stayed at backpakers hostel. Overall the room is neat and clean, the bathroom also has decent hot shower. The very downside is the wall is very thin, so just pray other guests doesn't make too much noise. Location very near to Lavender MRT, close to kopitiam at MRT and walkable to Lavender Food Center, also easy to get taxi just in front of the hotel, very convenient.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I should warn you first that they don't have elevator. So you better bring anything you can just carry and request for a room that's is not located at the fourth floor!

My experience was horrible. I have a trolley that's quite heavy but even with any polite request for assistance, nobody helped me. I just dragged my trolley all the way up. Very frustrating.

It's just an overnight stay but felt like forever! Flight was delayed and wanted a place to stay and rest for awhile. I thought of this place since my cousin recommended it. But unfortunately because of the noise, I was not able to sleep.

But what I like about this hostel is they have like electronic locker. Some are located along the lobby of the floor and I am lucky coz mine was inside the room. The receptionist just provided me bracelet-like key which is the key to my locker.

This hostel is just few minutes walk going to the MRT (lavender station). Accessible.

I stayed at the 4 bed all female room. The room is very cold since I noticed the aircon is new. They also have t.v at the lobby of our floor. It is quite noisy along the lobby coz people has to go out to bathe since the wash room is also common. There is also 7/11 available a block away from the hostel. And Food court before MRT that costs only S$ 2.80-4 but water is quite expensive S$ 1.50. I suggest to buy it from 7/11 instead.

Overall, accessible and has food stalls around the area but I don't still recommend it because of bad customer service. I know this is very cheap place to stay but I think they should also prioritize excellent customer service.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Shan_the_explorer
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We were 4 nights staying at Mercury Backpackers in a small room on the ground floor. Pour experience: The walls were as thin as a sheet of paper. You could here everything, even whispering. There was a very moldy smell in the room. We were there only for the night and happy not to be there one day longer. The fifth ground was quite nice - on the pictures. We were on time up there and as my girlfriend stepped on the wooden floor in front of the jaccuzi, she realized, that it was broken. Then we went down again.
The staff at the reception was quite confused: it took us 30 minutes to checkin. First the guy didn't manage to process the payment with credit card because he entered the number wrong three times. Then the confirmation was printed - but three times with wrong names.
Room service doesn't exist. If you ask, it will be done.
The location is great, close to Lavender MRT, but that's all. For us: Not again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stefan R
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed three nights in Mercury (still inside for the last morning). At first we thought the place is okay, in some ways even good. Room was very small but clean and clean were the common areas, toilets and showers aswell. Girl in the front desk was very friendly. After a day out and coming back for a good night sleep things changed. To make it clear right away, it is not hostels fault if some of their guests are too loud BUT it indeed is their fault if they failure to guarantee the comfort and peace they promise.

So here we go. I don't know about the rooms or the conditions on the other floors but so far 2nd floor has been more or less a circus. The walls between the rooms are too weak to keep even normal speaking voice from room to room. Tucked between two rooms you have constant voices from both sides. Well, that's a thing you cannot complain to other guests as it is not their fault. And then again people are ought to be able to be somewhat normal in hostels too, right? But when you have loud people on both sides and still further on the hallway it makes your stay very unpleasant as you can only dream about a good night sleep. The problem with this is that to make it stop you need to make it down to the front desk again and again and it still goes on after the front desk leaves the floor. It is pretty much worth of nothing to complain as these people are so loud and don't seem to understand there are people who actually want to sleep during the night.

Other guests may aso fail using the facilities correctly. First night there was a man seeping on the sofa in the common area. The same man also smoked inside, trying to get the smoke out of the open window, and of course failed in this. In the morning I opened the TV to see the morning news and the man just looked at me and turned around continueing sleeping and occupying the sofa. He woke up only after I placed my foot on the sofa and he kicked it. For the night shift in front desk the man sleeping on the sofa was "okay" as he said himself after I mentioned this. What it comes to toilets and showers it can get pretty dirty. It may be impossible for some guests to make it all the way to the bowl and so the floor might have some nasty smelling (and looking) stains... And the smell may hit you far of the toilet already. One of the showers is leaking water to the outside floor and it may cause a small flood. Don't expect the night shift to anything about these things either. Only the second night was more peacefull and clean as the manager for whom we had complained already was on shift and was looking after the guests carefully. Some guests also seem to think it is okay to shower and use the loud hairdryer any time of the night they want to. By some front desk people this is "okay" too as this a hostel and not a hotel and people must have a right to do the way they want to. But as I asked if it is okay for us to shout too and keep noices, it suddenly was not okay. Excuse me? The manager also took these things well and thank us many times for speaking out and he'll take it further to his boss with face to face conversation.

If you want to seep well you may want to consider other options as Mercury may fail in that. The premises are just not suitable for that with the too thin wals and noicy room doors and loud locker doors. This is by all means no guests fault but it may cause some problems between them. The rooms also have no privacy. Rooms are small allowing only one person at a time to move, lockers are tucked behind the beds so that it is impossible to use more than one conviniently. One of the four lockers is in the hallway because there simply is no place for it inside the room. Two beds are sharing a reading light instead of promised individual light. If you are occupying the whole room you may do it but I would not get tucked in with a bunch of strangers myself. Also I suggest you to ask for a room on the first floor where the front desk may keep it more peaceful.

And as some of the reviews already tell you, it is not all like in the pictures you see online.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family