“The killing wait, and wow food !!”

Sin Huat Eating House
Ranked #8,369 of 11,481 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Geylang
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We went to Sinhuat last week (Saturday night). We thought this place would be full house, since it's sat night & is quite well known after Anthony Bourdain's visit. But fortunately, not bad. We got the table easily.
Chef personally took order. We didn't see the menu. We just had to choose the main ingredient. Crab, fish, shrimp, snail, vegetables, or frog (Apparently, they only cooked main ingredient in one style. Eg: For crab, only served crab beehon, not available chili crab, etc).
We ordered 3 dishes. First dish came after about 30 mins waiting. We had scallops with black sauce (black bean?) & lots garlic. Love it !! Scallops were fresh & yummy...
Second dish was not came quickly. We waited for another 20 mins after first dish was finished. We had snails (singaporean called it gong gong) served with chili & garlic sauce. Love it more !! We could tell that snails were fresh & not fishy at all. Plus the sauce made it one impressed dish.
Third dish, we had crab beehon. Another longgg wait. This time we waited for 30 mins after finished the 2nd dish ! (Oh my...). After long smoking break, food still hadn't come yet. Why they keep their guests waiting like this, as the place was not too full (about 5 tables occupied).
Finally, the great crab beehon came. It's not disappointed at all. Crab was (again) fresh & the taste was WOW !! Even the beehon itself (which usually came rather), was tasted delicious together with the crab. Awesome food !!
We still remember the greatness of the food. But also remember the killing long wait. Maybe you can ask the chef to make your dish come together to avoid the killing wait. One more thing, price was not cheap.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We had frogs' legs in chicken essence, garlic prawns, fresh out of tank steamed fish (expensive but chef warned us prior to order), snails. Garlic and chilli galore. This place very rustic coffee shop (no frills) but frequented by Anthony Bourdain. Service is a hit-and-miss. Chef is a legendary grump but was alright today. Freshness of the food was our focus and proven delightful.

Check it out when you are in S'pore.

1  Thank cottgirl
Reviewed January 6, 2013

After reading up on all the reviews of how good the crab bee hoon was and how rude the owner was, we were prepared and tried it out on December 16th. We, family of 3, took a taxi from our hotel and arrived at Sin Huat around 5:40pm. We knew it didn't open till 6pm but wanted to make sure we had a table upon arrival. The owner saw us and motion to confirm if we were here for a meal and I nodded. I proceed to go to meet him. The owner said that they'll open in about 30 minutes and asked if we wanted coconut drinks which we pretty much obliged. We didn't get our order till 6:20pm. The owner says "sorry for the wait" and proceeded with asking if we wanted snails, scallop,s prawns, vegetable, and crab bee hoon. We nodded in agreement. The best dish that we ate was actually the snails. They were the best snail dish we've ever eaten. Even our 8 years old daughter was gobbling them up. The snails were indeed excellent. The other dishes were good. Our last dish was the crab bee hoon. The crab was just average but the bee hoon was excellent. The crab bee hoon didn't live up to our expectation but overall, the meal was very good. The service to our surprise was pleasant. We even saw the next table ordered from the duck station and still got served by the infamous food nazi. Perhaps he had a change of heart?

1  Thank MJ L
Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Was there after watching the show
Find the chef really rude toward taking order
Place so dirty.. Disappointed
Food too sweet .... Felt really thirsty after the meal.
Never come back!

3  Thank Ghuhcvhinne
Reviewed December 3, 2012

So...yeah.

My boyfriend and I were taken here for dinner by our local friends in Singapore. We pulled up outside and I swear I would have stayed in the car and kept going if it wouldn't have massively offended our friends.

We were told this was the place to get some of the best food in town. Anthony Bourdain has been here, yadda, yadda. I think his shows are great, but I don't like to risk getting sick when I eat out, as I am not currently being paid millions to do so.

First and foremost: Bring hand sanitizer and toilet paper. You'll need it. There is one bathroom located off of the kitchen, which does NOT have soap or toilet paper. According to our friends (who, thank GOD had brought supplies in their bags), this is always the case. This shocks me as there are "chefs" handling the food after using the toilet. As a person in the food industry, I was appalled. Pretty sure hand-washing is FoodSafe 101!

Outdoor seating only, which made for a very hot evening.

The head chef/owner has an extremely large ego ever since Bourdain visited. He spoke only in Malay or Mandarin and pretty much told us what we were ordering. I had no idea that a bill for 6 people would be about $700 CDN. Aren't Singapore's local joints known for their inexpensive cuisine, seeing as the cost of living and owning a vehicle is insane? Um, not here. Don't get me wrong, this isn't about the money, but instead about the fact that we were told what we were being served, without much choice, and then get treated to a big bill.

Food is served family style on soft-pink plastic plates with plastic cutlery. Dirty wine glasses (actual dirt on the rims).

Floors and surfaces in both the kitchen and the restaurant seating area were filthy. Tanks of seafood had probably never been cleaned in their entire existence.

The only good thing I have to say about this place is that the food really is amazing. Served family-style. Great sauces and the food was cooked perfectly.

If you can forget about the fact that there is no soap or TP in the entire place, everything is dirty and that a health inspector should burn this place to the ground for it's massive health violations, you'll be fine. Again, food was impressive.

1  Thank TravelEatPrayLove