“A reasonable price for a good experience”

Fragrance Hotel - Riverside
Ranked #140 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“A reasonable price for a good experience”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

For a reasonably priced hotel in Singapore, I had a good experience at this hotel. Small rooms, but you have to pay a lot more for a large room in Singapore. Clean, nice quality sheets, very friendly staff, and the wifi was good. They even upgraded me to a 3 person room as they had the space which I thought was very nice. The location is excellent - great for the MRT (subway) and Clarke Quay, which is a big tourist area. Also close enough to the business district if like me you are there on business as well as pleasure.

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have windows, I booked online and asked specifically for a room with a window...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Good location for sightseeing, food, MRT, etc. Rooms are basically the same size, i.e. small and good for people travel light. Even for windowless room, it is not that bad considered the price. The only problem is the air conditioning. My windowless room has a lot of water condensation on the wall. It is good that the hotel provides a dehumidifer to solve the problem. But it is only good for 5-6 hours and the alarm will sound in the middle of the night. Got a free upgrade to a window room. The wall is okay but the floor is still wet. Guess it is design problem but staff is very helpful. Another problem is that the telephone no. shown on the hotel key card is wrong. Just be careful if you expect calls to your hotel.

Also try to avoid StarHub for pre-paid 3G SIM card. They said I used up more 1 GB data in 10 hours while my phone measured only 80 MB,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GlobalPremiumHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Fragrance Hotel - Riverside, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
I apologise for the less than satisfactory hotel stay experience in the hotel, but was glad to know that you had found our staff helpful in their services.

The contact numbers shown on the hotel key card in fact belonged to the Hotel Room Reservation Department. As we are operating as a chain and for the guest's convenience, it would be easier for the guest to reach us with just one main contact number.
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Yes rooms are tiny....No argument on that.
I think you cant expect anything much better @ ~100 S$ in Clarke Quay Location.
If you are a independent budget traveler looking for a basic clean hotel in a convenient location Fragrance River Side is a decent choice. I read lot of reviews abt this hotel and made up my mind for a very tiny room but room was better than I expected.

Pros.
1. Very neat clean hotel
2. Hotel is comparatively new
3. It is almost opposite to Clarke Quay MRT (5 mins walk from MRT)
4. Very clean pool in case you want relax after a tiring a day
5. Friendly staff
6. Eating places and 7eleven stores around ( Subway near to MRT is a good option)
7. Clarke Quay is a happening place.

Let me share my experience.
I landed Singapore around 9.30 AM and called the hotel (my reservation was from 3 PM). They promised me a room by 2 PM. I just roamed around china town and reached hotel by 1.30 and my room was ready. I got complementary wifi as I book through fragrance website. This is what i suggest everyone instead of going through third party sites book directly from fragrance website, it is kind of more profitable. I dont spend much time in room as I was busy in exploring Singapore. I used to get sandwich from 7eleven store for my break fast before leaving hotel and night I came back to hotel after dinner directly go to pool to relax. Forgot to mention they used to charge 100S$ refundable deposit during check-in. I checked out 12 noon after 2 days. They provide break fast also for an additional 4.25S$ per person while booing through website but I havnt opted for that. Considering the expenses in Singapore that is also not a bad option.

Verdict:
So my thought is for a independent budget traveler this is a decent option cos of price location and cleanliness of hotel. You get what you pay so that makes the equation simple. :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Emet123
GlobalPremiumHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Fragrance Hotel - Riverside, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and I am glad that the hotel had met your expectations!

You are right spot-on for everything that was mentioned in your hotel stay review.

For the guest's information, I wished to clarify that the complimentary Wi-Fi service is provided to all our guests who booked the rooms via the hotel website only. This promotion will run indefinitely, subject to end without notice. Guests will also enjoy a discounted rate if they purchase their breakfast voucher together with the hotel room booking online.

I look forward to your return for your next trip to Singapore!
Edinburgh
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Just fab. If only all hotels were like this.

Small rooms but perfectly formed. Small wet room bathroom but we didn't mind becausenitbmeant the room was affordable and a great location.

Great rooftop pool. Small gym with treadmill which you just need to ask reception for the key for.

Room Tip: It pays to upgrade here. Upgrade was $20 from memory which included free wifi and breakfast and a be...
1 Thank Faybear
South Coast, Australia
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Actually I don't know what the fragrance is but there actually is one as soon as you enter this charming little hotel. Nice touch.

Location excellent. Less than 5 minutes to the Clarke Quay MRT station. One block behind boat quay. Not actually Riverside so no views.

Reception staff (and all other staff encountered) were friendly and helpful. The rooms on the smaller side, but this is a budget hotel in a very sought after Singapore location so don't get too picky. Actually the rooms were pretty well spotless. All facilities modern and well maintained. Excellent value.

The primary difference in room standards is whether or not you have a window. Ours did but nothing to look at so don't fret if your room is windowless.

And did I mention the outdoor pool on the 6th floor! Not terribly wide but long enough to do a few laps. Also a small gymnasium. Very small. One treadmill and one other thing I can't recall.

Stayed in 4 levels of accommodation on this week long trip to Singapore. From a backpacker hostel to a 4.5 star glitzy hotel. If I had to go back to Singapore, Fragrance Riverside Hotel would be my first pick. It ticked all my boxes of location, staff, value and facilities.

Room Tip: No need to select a room with a window as no views to be had.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GlobalPremiumHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Fragrance Hotel - Riverside, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
I would like to thank you for your posting a review of your hotel stay. I am delighted to learn that the hotel had met the expectations of your stay.

For the guest information, I wished to clarify that all the Superior Rooms do not come with windows, so travellers are advised to book the Deluxe Room instead.

I look forward to your return again! Thank you.
Wallington, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We had the experience of spending 2 nights at this hotel, Having a previously spent 'Big' a night before at Marina Bay Sands, We opted for the less expensive and basic option the day after, and you get what you pay for, a basic room with a double bed, TV, shower (shared with toilet). Nothing special but it does the job. One main problem that stands out is that the room had no window and this proved a little claustrophobic and a problem when using the shower as there was no ventilation.

Hotel entrance had a 'Fragrant' smell, and facilities were clean and tidy. The staff were also friendly and welcoming. The pool on the rooftop was not bad and was very quiet each time i went there, with a view looking up at the Raffles Place office blocks.

The main reason opting to go here was because it was so central to everything and made it very easy to get around central Singapore for Bars, Nightlife, Shopping and Sightseeing.

Most definitely recommend it for people who are easily pleased and/or looking for a central location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Paradise Point, Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great little rooms, stayed for 4 days. So close to MRT, china town, bus routes etc. Yes the rooms are small and the bathroom room takes a bit to get used to. Value for money cant fault it. Great for a couple. Wish we had found the pool on the top of the building earlier we would have used it. We will stay again. Very safe walking in the area at night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple