“Thumbs up. Excellent russian food”
Review of Buyan

Buyan
Ranked #2,304 of 11,275 Restaurants in Singapore
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Description: Buyan invites you to enjoy dishes from Russia and the former Soviet Union, from homely stews to caviar indulgence. This is the very place to try the real taste of the world-known Russian borscht, pirozhki (small pies) or pelmeni (dough pockets filled with mixed meat).
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Our first try of russian cuisine, and my husband & I both agreed that the food there is beyond our expectation. Thumbs up!!! Excellent food!!! We had meat khachapuri, which smell & taste equally awesome. The fragrance alone makes my husband & I craved for it. We also had shashlyk. The chicken, lamb & salmon were marinated & charcoal grilled perfectly, the meat was tender & juicy. Love it, one of the best I ever had!!! Their Borscht soup & Napoleon cake is also yummy. Buyan had an extensive menu of wine & beer too. The service is not too bad :) We head down on a saturday night and they had live band (good) after 9pm. Overall, we had a great dinner & aim to return to Buyan for dinner again. Would definitely recommend anyone to try russian cuisine at Buyan :)

Reviewed May 24, 2014

I am yet to meet anyone who is a FAN of Russian food, but there really should be some. A good place to start is Buyan, a great Russian restaurant in Singapore, with an incomparable wine list. The food is authentic (a Russian friend confirmed this). We tried two salads - The Olivier (also known as "Russian salad" and Mimosa - and both were superb, as was another starter - Herring under the fur coat (herring covered with vegetables). Pelmeni - a kind of Russian dim sum - also went down well. Finally we finished off with Kulebyaka, a hearty Russian pie filled with salmon. On previous visits I have tried staples like Chicken Kiev (one of my favorites) and Shashlyk kebab - both very good. Buyan also has a reasonably-priced wine list and good set lunches.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Nice interior, very good menu of food and drinks. Good atmosphere with nice music...
Price level is very good considering the quality of food and drinks.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Buyan has both a bar and dining section. The bar is stocked with extensive range of close to 50 different types of vodka. The range of whiskeys offered is almost as impressive. I thought the masculine setting attracted a more serious and business like crowd. This is good for drinkers that prefers a quieter setting and to have a good conversation. Nevertheless the atmosphere was relaxing and comfortable. We were there during the $3/g caviar promotion which complimented our vodka tasting perfectly. Food was well prepared and done with good quality produce. However, we don't find all the dishes appealing to our taste orientation. Service was prompt and friendly. Overall it was an enjoyable evening with a masculine appeal.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I was twice there. Musical band there is excellent. Pleasant atmosphere and arrangement. Restaurant has 2 floors: bar area+dinning area - ground floor, dinning zone plus open air bar located on second floor. Restaurant' furnishing - seems came from French or Dutch motif. My impression - Catherine Great style, very positive and romantic. Menu - designed with love, main intention, as I understood - create opportunity for people to try Russian dishes, rare abroad usually. BUT. Chef seems Singaporian because every dish has slight Singaporian "footprint". Meal quality is absolutely fine, but the taste is not 100% authentic. In general there are no critical findings, but calibration of the current chef by Russian specialist is necessary.