“Place to Stay”
Review of Mitraa Inn

Mitraa Inn
Ranked #41 of 240 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Reviewed June 14, 2013

best place to stay - would recommended to my friends as well. Place is clean and nearby to all public transport facilities. I enjoy my stay at hotel. I would prefer to come back again and stay at the same place.
Indoor entertainment could have been better as improvement opportunities to make it more enjoyable to all the visitors and tourists

Thanks

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have been to Singapore for many times and I would say Mitraa Inn is one of the better valued accommodations I have stayed in.

This hostel is located closer to the train station and by some of the malls. There is also a bus stop right in front of the hostel. So navigation is not a problem.

The rooms & toilets are clean always. I would say their bathrooms are bigger than some of the hotels I stayed in Singapore.
There are 4 levels at Mitraa Inn and since there is Lift, no problem about carrying big luggages around.

Breakfast was free and really nice. The staffs were so nice and friendly and the reception is manned 24 hours a day.
There are also a good range of DVDs for your viewing comfort & books for reading.

The first night I was there, some guests came back late and the sound of the showers and doors closing nearby were mildly disturbing . However, it was fine the next 2 nights.
If you check-out at 12pm, but wish to take a shower before your flight, you can still do so for Free !

I will return to Mitraa Inn the next time I go to Singapore. Thanks to all @ Mitraa !

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here during our 6-day-long grad trip, and it was fantastic! There were five of us, and we stayed in a 6-bed, all female private room with an ensuite. Everything was very clean, and our roommates were all lovely (though one of them had a night job, which maybe could be taken into account with communal living, I dunno). The staff were fantastic, very helpful, and friendly, and it was a pleasure to chat with them while eating breakfast or just coming and going. For us, on a budget, this was much better than a hotel, as it had everything we needed. The rooms are small, so it was difficult maneuvering in and out, but you get what you pay for and we made do just fine. The location is great too - the staff pointed out some great restaurants nearby for us, and the MRT is a five minute walk down the road. We didn't use the bus, but that's right at the hostel's door. Overall, it was perfect for our purposes, and a great experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed in a 4 bedded room with private bathroom for 2 nights. This is better than a hotel. Both the room & the toilet was spacious. The beds were really big for a hostel. Toilets were clean. Underbed locker storage. Overall the room was comfortable. You also get breakfast included & free wi-fi inside rooms too. Staffs were so friendly & helpful. Honestly I believe that you get what you pay for, but in this hostel you get more than what you paid for. Only those who had stayed in Singapore hotels & this hostel will understand what I mean.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Its essentially a backpacker hotel but what sets it apart is the excellent staff. From the moment we arrived we were treated as honoured guests and absolutely nothing was too much trouble. Friendly, smiling and helpful. Five stars! The rooms are typically small as you would expect. The cleanliness of the place was extremely good. Breakfast included but we passed it up as we preferred to walk 15 minutes or so to the Hawkers Centre above the Little India MRT.

Location is great. Right on the edge of Little India - a tip - use the Farrer Park MRT rather than the Little India station like we did. When we first arrived, a little off putting as the hotel is in small strip of "night clubs". Absolutely no concern there however but you might like to know beforehand.

We originally booked for two nights but extended our stay after a quick survey of other hotels and backpackers in a 20 minute radius. None came close to the standards of the Mitraa Inn.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed at Mitraa Inn for 10 days with my family. We had a 6-bed mixed dorm with en-suite toilet. I decided to stay at Mitraa after reading Tripadvisor reviews, and was definitely not disappointed. :)

Pros:
1. Excellent location: the bus stop is right in front of this hostel and Farrer Park metro station is just a 5-minute walk away. Sight-seeing was a breeze because of this location. As a family of vegetarians, the biggest blessing for us was that a number of Indian veg restaurants are just 10 minutes away from Mitraa.
2. Decent breakfast: unlimited toast with spreads, coffee/tea, fruit and eggs. Very satisfactory!
3. Helpful staff: especially the manager Shriram, and the attendants Jonas and Arun. They were always willing to help us plan our day and advise us on the best ways to get around the city.
4. The beds are very comfortable - good head room for the bunk beds and each bed wide enough to accommodate 2 people. Blankets were provided free of cost.

Cons:
1. The housekeeping can be better. Every 2 days, we had to ask the staff to clean the room. And even then, they did not make the beds the first couple of times, until we specifically requested that they do this. They also make no attempt to dry the bathroom floor - the wet and dry areas are not separate, and the bathroom floor was almost always damp. This may not be a problem for those who stay for 2-3 days, but ours was an extended stay, and we were miffed about this. :)
2. One of the attendants - Lou - is a little clueless and non-communicative, possibly because of his limited proficiency in English. Once or twice, he barged into our room without knocking to collect the garbage. And on the last day, we asked him to call a cab to take us to the airport. 5 minutes later, he told us he had called a cab, grabbed one of our suitcases and just started lugging it down the road. Bewildered and harassed, my husband and I struggled with the other 3 pieces of luggage and walked all the way to the next junction with him, under the impression that the cab was waiting there. Despite our repeated questions, he did not give us a straightforward answer and started trying to flag down cabs. We were really pissed at this because we could have flagged down a cab ourselves from right outside the hostel without walking half a kilometer with heavy luggage! Finally, we had to call Shriram at the hostel and he sent us a cab. So if you are dealing with Lou, make sure he understands what you are saying before agreeing to anything! :D
3. My biggest gripe is that the door of our ensuite toilet/bathroom was made of flimsy plastic and not solid. So you can hear every water drop that spills inside as though it is happening in the room! This was really awkward for us. :(

Room Tip: The rooms away from the road are quieter, but are windowless. The ones facing the road allow light i...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed at Mitraa Inn again this week for two nights, having stayed there again back in January 2013 for one night. In all, I have stayed there at least five times since it opened. It is still well kept, clean, friendly and affordable. Wifi remains good, beds have very comfortable thick sprung mattresses and the bathrooms are kept in good condition. Staff are very helpful. As a hostel, it is not as comfortable as a hotel, but it works well. If you are only going to shower and sleep there, it is very good and very good value. Patrons are all sorts, with many of middle age to older, and some young travellers. Good restaurants/eating houses within easy walking distance. I have developed my favourites, including the chicken rice restaurant about 150 metres away on other side of road.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a window if available.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business