“Very Impressed!”
Review of The Sultan

The Sultan
Ranked #175 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed with my partner at The Sultan for 3 nights, and we an awesome and a very comforting stay with friendly and accommodating staff and excellent customer service. The hotel is ideally located at a walking distance from MRT (train station) which connects you to the city in 5 minutes.

The rooms are not less than of any 5 star hotel. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone for a budget short stay. The staff is very friendly and can tell you about all the places to visit and see. They also have live music almost every night at the bar - which is an added attraction after a long day of running around in the city!

The hotel is also a short stroll to Singapore's best night food street :)

Highly recommended!

3  Thank Holidayfying
There are newer reviews for The Sultan

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Exactly what we always look for a Clean room, and excellent Customer Service and such a Comfortable place to stay! Yes, we were grateful that we found one which worth it all... My husband joint me on a last minute decision and was worried about the room upgrade availability. Upon arrival, without any hussels, the assertive receptionists did a great job, allowed my room was upgraded from a single to the Attic room type.
Upon reaching the room, the smart and beautiful room design made it a comfortable place to lay down and Zzzzzz.... regardless the size.
The staffs do practice Honesty, one incident is when some of my belongings left in the room, all were safely returned. Another one is when my husband left his mobile phone while we were already on our way to the airport, the hotel called to collect it. Keep up the honesty Guys!!!
The WIFI was excellent and so as other facilities such as the left luggages. Seriously, it is located in a centre of a super active areas, days and nights.
With all these good memories, we surely keep this in our must stay hotel in the future... A couple from Brunei Darussalam:)

2  Thank Imas-HAK
Reviewed December 17, 2012

An excellent place for short stays.

A new hotel from a shop house conversion (do not look at google street view, it looks nothing like that any more)

The Sultan is convenient for the airport (via Lavender MRT) and the Central City. It is 5 mins walk to/from Lavender MRT. However to base yourself at the Sultan you need to be willing to use public transport to get around the city - which is easy.

Good pricing for Singapore too.

Modern, clean and well appointed with very helpful staff. The roof bar and (Italian) restauarnt are not well populated - why would you when there are street restauarants all around serving excellent local food and cheap drink? The Indian (although not as Westerners would consider Indian food) next door is halal making this area a good place for Mulim guests (as one may expect from the name and area). 20m up the road is a steam boat hawker area - the food looked good.

The reason I say "short stay" is the size on the rooms. SMALL. But this is pointed out in the booking engines, so don't be surprised. Not a room I would like to spend a lot of waking time in. Free wifi works. TV and all amenites.

The other thing to note is that the usually super efficent Singapore MRT is considerably less so early on a Sunday am. Allow over 1 hour for 9 stops to the airport!

Yes, I would stop over here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank suriChristchurch
Reviewed December 14, 2012

The hotel is located within walking distance of Lavender or Bugis MRTs. Lavender is on the direct route from Changi airport and it's a 5 to 10 minute walk to the hotel if you choose to travel to the hotel by train. Bugis is about a 15 minute walk. I had a single room which was small but clean and well appointed and certainly fine for a 3 night stay. The bed was comfortable and the room was well insulated from outside noise. The only issue I had was that the Wifi did not work in my room although the hotel staff, who were generally friendly and helpful, tried their best to resolve the problem but were not successful. I used the lobby Wifi instead. I recommend this hotel for short stays for those who want some security and comfort but do not want to pay the very high prices of Singapore hotels.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Tranverse
Reviewed December 14, 2012

A really nice boutique style hotel. First class service. We only stayed 1 night and arrived very late but the front desk had the most helpful staff I've ever come across. Nothing was too much trouble. The following morning the same staff were on hand to assist us with sorting out our onward flights.

Rooms were on the small side, but clean and comfortable. Breakfast was reasonable and available to 10 am - would have been better had they used fresh milk rather than UHT.

A 10 minute walk to the nearest MRT, for a short journey to Orchard Road and all the usual shopping.

1  Thank SteveJB
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The hotel has character and the area is interesting, much more fun than staying in a high rise glass monstrosity. The young staff (and there are a lot of staff) are eager to please. But it is very noisy, not only from the street but also from upstairs, you can hear every footstep, and why do people need to move the furniture in the early hours of the morning??
Didn't like the bar, unless you get a free drinks voucher I would avoid it, there seem to be different prices depending who serves you! Again unless you have a voucher I would avoid the breakfast, or at least be careful what you eat, the bread was literally mouldy! When I pointed out the mould it was taken off me and replaced with fresh but it with no apology. Most of the food seemed to have been cooked hours ago and left in the warmer. The coffee was undrinkable, but the tea was ok. There are better places locally to buy breakfast.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms at the front/near bar/underneath attic rooms. Not sure if that leaves any!
Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and I work together, and we stayed 6 nights in one of the ground floor platform rooms on a recent business trip. The room was small, but very tidy. Down to the details, you could see that the people running things here are thoughtful and have good taste. The location of the hotel was excellent for our purposes, central and nice to walk around at night with many options for shopping, food and drinks nearby, and two metro stations in walking distance. At check-in we were presented with a voucher for drinks at the bar upstairs, and I would recommend taking advantage of this - the bar is very pleasant, with a spacious open-air area. The reason why I'm giving 5 stars is the hotel manager Zarah Abdullah and her staff, who really went out of their way to help us when we had an emergency situation right before our departure that very nearly caused us to miss our flight. In the end, everything turned out fine. We appreciated the meticulous service during our whole stay, but after this we were deeply touched by the heartfelt help and compassion we received. They really care!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business