The Sultan
Average 3/5
Hotel Boss(Singapore)
  • Pool
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsattic roomarab quarterboutique hotelkampong glamhaji lanenorth bridge roadlovely little hotelthe ground floorshop housesgreat boutiquelavender mrtbreakfast was includedstreet noiselittle indiacoffee machinecheck in was quicktaxi stand
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 22, 2012

The hotel is recently renovated, very nice rooms, though you are in Singapore and you do not get many square meters for your Singapore dollars, that is for sure. Clean, staff helped with every thing we asked for, even went out of their ways to make sure we were satisfied. It is about a 15 minute walk to the nearest MRT station, which is not so good. Great textiles shops around the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Unlike other similar hotels in Singapore converted from shophouses, The Sultan does not appear dark and crammed. On the contrary, the corridors and pathways linking different sections of the small hotel are airy and bright from well designed skylights. Though the standard room is small as expected in a shophouse set-up, it is well equipped and cozy. Complimentary breakfast and wifi is a steal. 10-min walk to Lavender MRT station. Great value for money compared to most popular hotels.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed November 12, 2012

If you want to spend an evening at the Bar:

Be careful which company(?) you are buying drinks from at the Bar because you can order a drink off the menu provided and find that a different company in a side room next to the bar (also, weirdly on a different Tax system 17% not 10%?!!) actually supplies it and has increased the price without telling the Hotel - yet both parties insist on payment of the new price regardless. A reasonable objection about this should have been a simple thing to deal with, only a few dollars were involved but it took 40 minutes and, at one time, 4 members of staff to sort the problem; one of principle - which they never did grasp!

Don't be surprised if you are well entrenched in the comfy chairs and one of the staff turns up carrying a "Reserved" sign telling you to move because someone else has reserved your chairs(?!) - this happened a lot!

Customer service not a forte here then!

The breakfast is "also ran" and not cheap ($18), pop across the road for a pile of fresh fruit, shakes etc for a fraction of the price.

Also, drink the amazing Pod coffee in the room - don't even think about the bland coffee provided at breakfast.

Wifi is free but glacial!

During the day, a number of the sofas in the downstairs area are filled with sleeping staff.

The position of the Hotel is good (opposite the Textile Centre - if the Taxi has never heard of it) - they just need to get a better customer service ethic and look around them to see what is reasonable to charge for some dehydrating fruit, awful coffee and stewed cooked breakfast - when you can get fresh stuff cooked/blended/chopped in front of you to order for peanuts 50m away! It could be a good place - but it isn't yet!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top (3rd) floor have skylights only - to be fair the view wouldn't have been brilliant if there were windows in the walls - but the skylights are positioned so you can't actually see directly out and it can be a little claustrophobic.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Doorsoff
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The hotel location was quite interesting as it is in the Arab quarter and there are many Malay Muslim influences and restaurants which is different from the more mainstream Singapore. There is also Haji Lane which houses a lot of little quirky arty boutiques and small retail outlets.
Our room was very small but clean. The double bed was positioned with one side against the wall as there was no space to position it any other way I suppose and made it difficult for the person sleeping by the wall to get in and out of bed. We had requested for a quiet room but we were woken up constantly by street noise and the hotel bar guests all four nights of our stay.
Our other concern was that we booked a wake up call to catch our early morning flight and also a taxi. The call never came through and a taxi was hailed for us when we got to the lobby to check out. I presume that it was never ordered either.
The hotel looks nice and I can see what they owners are trying to achieve but the general areas look unkept and need cleaning. There doesn't seem like a lot of care and detail taken.Breakfast was also very dissapointing. We ate there once and decided we would not bother eventhough it was included.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

First of all let me just say how beautiful this hotel is. If you are looking for something completely different in Singapore then this is the place for you. There are however a couple of negatives which I must admit had I known about them before I had booked I would have thought twice. However I am going to start with the positive. We booked a junior suite and were given room 222. The room was beautiful. Very spacious and well planned. There was plenty of storage, seating and the coffee machine was a nice touch. There was a mini bar with a few drinks and snacks which are not too over priced considering they are in a hotel in Singapore! The bathroom was a little small but beautifully finished and spotless. We were shown to our room by the receptionist which was a pleasant surprise. When she turned on our air conditioner it spat water out which was embarrassing for her; although we said it was not a problem, within minutes she had housekeeping come and wipe up the water. The bed was very comfortable and all in all I was thrilled with the room especially for the money we had paid. We were also given two vouchers for a drink on the rooftop bar which was a nice surprise. The bar is lovely with mood lighting and a view of the sky and not a skyscraper in sight.
If all this sounds heavenly to you then I must just make these two important points that were to the detriment of our stay. The room at night was very noisy. The windows are not soundproofed I'm guessing to keep up with the decor and it is just ridiculous how loud the room gets at night. We had doors slamming, cars beeping and motorbikes until the early hours. To top it off the rubbish lorry decided to come and do its rounds at 9pm. I know it was early but we were very tired as we had traveled early to get there. I know that this is not the hotels fault but I think with soundproofed windows and doors the noise would have been at a level where they would not have disturbed us. One sore point with me was that they advertised the hotel as a haven away from the hustle and bustle of the city! The other minor problem was that the hot water supply didn't last very long so the water went tepid very quickly but not cold. So unless you need a scalding hot shower this may not bother you.
In conclusion I would say to people wanting to stay here, if you are looking for something a bit different in Singapore and can sleep through a hurricane than this is the place for you. If you like me need a quiet atmosphere to sleep then please don't stay here. You will have one of the worst nights sleeps of your life. I have also since learned that they have live music sometimes I would imagine at the weekend. I was staying there on a Wednesday and there was none so I dread to think what the noise levels like at the weekend!

• Stayed: November 2012