Ultimate Food Journey

Book in advance
from
$99.74
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Joo Chiat/Katong
from $99.74
from $81.82
from $498.70
More Info
All reviews pre war peranakan culture seng shophouse beads mrt shoes
Selected filters
Reviewed August 23, 2016

Highly recommend to those who loves history and architecture. The area has well preserved rows of peranakan shophouses to entertain the eyes. Just wandering around the area require about 1 or 2 hours at least.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed August 16, 2016

Lots of good local delights here. You can check out the good food such as wanton noodles (dumpling with char siew meat noodles) and glutinous rice dumpling.

There is also interesting conservation shophouse architecture to admire. Some have been restored as residential places.

There is also famous black pepper crabs at eng seng coffeeshop.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed April 10, 2016

We caught the MRT to Paya Lebar with the idea to walk from there to Marine Parade. Upon alighting we noticed that there were a number of coffee shops around the station where people were having breakfast and we wished that we hadn't already eaten.

There is a big construction site right next to the station and this caused us some confusion with regard to the route we should take to get to Joo Chiat Road. After a couple of false starts, we found that we had to walk around the site and down Paya Lebar Road.

We then turned left into Geylang Road passing local shops and stalls selling household goods and clothing, and then turned right into Joo Chiat Road.

About half the way down Joo Chiat Road, on the right hand side on a corner, we came across a local eatery called "Tin Yeang Restaurant". This was a very basic, local place filled with local people having breakfast and without a westerner in sight. We ordered Kaya Toast and Kopi which only cost us a few dollars and it was delicious. Although the person who served us didn't speak English, we were able to make ourselves understood.

Refreshed, we continued our walk down Joo Chiat Road, making little forays into side streets to take some photos of the restored Peranakan shop houses.

It was very hot and we were glad when we finally came to Marine Parade. Before we set out we had thought that we'd like to walk to East Coast Park from here, however we were far too hot and tired so we caught the No. 36 bus back to the city centre from the bus stop across the road from the Mercure Roxy Hotel.

The bus was very crowded and although I was lucky enough to get the last seat, my daughter had to stand for most of the way back to Orchard Road. The journey took about 30 minutes and wasn't at all pleasant.

I had thought about staying in this area on my next visit to Singapore, however the thought of having to put up with the uncomfortable bus journey every time I wanted to go into the centre of the city has made me think that I'll wait until the new MRT line comes into operation.

There's so much to see in this area that I think I could return time and again and still find plenty to interest me.

Date of experience: March 2016
3  Thank Susan D
Reviewed April 10, 2016 via mobile

This area is full of food outlets.There is a very good selection of food outlets.The service is good.The price also very good.

Date of experience: April 2016
Reviewed April 1, 2016 via mobile

A quaint quarter with a visible Peranakan enclave. The Vietnamese eateries are also edging into the lively F&B scene. The architecture is a good mix of pre-war houses and contemporary stuff. It has a laid back atmosphere and warrants a slow exploration.

Date of experience: April 2016