“Convenient, but small rooms”

Ranked #111 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Having been to Singapore at least half a dozen times, this is the first time I stayed in Bay Hotel.
It was for work and my colleague asked me to try out this hotel as it was new.

The hotel is pretty easy to find, just opposite the mall (which has a MRT station beneath it). Also as a bus stand about 200m away, so connectivity is not an issue.

THe issue however, is the size of the room. The rooms are tiny, the width of my double bed is the width of my room (against the wall of the toilet). Opening my room door would block the toilet door. And yes, when you are in the toilet, you can touch all 4 sides of the wall without even stretching.

The breakfast was forgettable, not that it is bad, but I dont remember anything outstanding about it.. Ventilation at the breakfast area wasnt very good though.

For the price that I paid, I think I could get a slightly more spacious room in Singapore. Definitely not a place to stay if you want space and comfort.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
BayHotelSingapore, Public Relations Manager at Bay Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, we sincerely value them. We are glad that that you have enjoyed the convenient accessibility afforded by our hotel’s location.

With regards to our room size, our Deluxe room, at 23 - 26 square meters, is a good size that appeals to most of our guests who have stayed in them; and is actually be good for two persons. Our Suite of 35 square meters is also now ready and we are working towards getting a 4th room type which is slightly more spacious than the Deluxe room.

Thank you for highlighting to us about the ventilation at the breakfast area. We will look into this matter in order to give our future guests a more comfortable dining experience. We offer a very good buffet breakfast – ranging from a selection of cheeses and bread to nasi lemak – proving to be very well-loved by most of our guests.

We hope you will stay with us at Bay Hotel Singapore to experience what makes it so popular with our regular guests.

There are newer reviews for Bay Hotel Singapore

Reviewed September 28, 2013

This Hotel rooms are as big as you are. If you plan to bring your baggage, you will not find place after to keep it to stand. Shower and Loo have glass partition and glass sliding door inside a very small space and once glass get wet it become transparent. Food is also nothing G8 there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank silverstyle1

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your feedback greatly.

Our Deluxe room, at 23 - 26 square meters, is a good size that appeals to most of our guests who have stayed in them; and is actually be good for two persons. Our Suite of 35 square meters is also now ready and we are working towards getting a 4th room type which is slightly more spacious than the Deluxe room.

Our STREET 50 Restaurant & Bar is a global flavours restaurant that serves wide-ranging dishes from around the world. It has received great reviews for dishes such as the Tom Yum Flair and Lamb Rendang.

We welcome you back to both Bay Hotel Singapore and STREET 50 Restaurant & Bar for a better experience with us.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

A prefectly adequate and comfortable hotel in a great location on the edge of the city, perfectly situated for access to shopping and public transport. You don't notice the main road once you're inside the hotel building.

The room is clean and serviceable but TINY! The twin room is not big enough for two, with not even 12" of floor space between two beds pushed up against the side walls. Great power shower, and Elemis toiletries. The free mini-bar, whilst not exactly chocca, is a nice touch. Wi-fi connection is a little slow at times, which is probably down to capacity.

Facilities - the "gym" is a solitary weights bench and exercise bike in a just-as-small decommissioned hotel room, but the roof top pool is a great length to get some exercise. I didn't use the restaurant, which looks clean, but smells a bit whiffy. Thankfully it's on the ground floor.

We were in Singapore for the Formula 1 Grand Prix weekend, so didn't spend much time in the actua hotel, but I'd give it an extra 1/2 a mark if I could. A perfect choice for the business traveller; but if you're on holiday, I'd probably look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Travel alone, or atleast book separate rooms!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that that you have enjoyed the convenient accessibility afforded by our hotel’s location, the shower amenities, the roof top pool and the complimentary mini bar service provided for our guests.

We are in the midst of expanding our gym along with our set of gym equipment and with regards to the smell at our restaurant, we will look into ways on how to improve our ventilation.

We welcome you to stay with us again.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Went to a staycation with my boyfriend using Groupon voucher.

The room is smaller than I expected, but it was cosy enough. Love the blanket and the shower head the most! Swimming pool wasn't as what is shown in the website though. Breakfast variety was good as it has a lot of different food to eat, probably more than 10 different variety. Service and check-in was very prompt.

There was one incident where my room key was with my boyfriend, and I had to rush back to the hotel first. The hotel staffs promptly provided me with an extra key. However, there is a bit of worrying as the hotel staffs don't bother to check my identity to confirm I'm the guest staying in that room, and just gave me a card access. Not sure if they can remember me as the guest, but still a little worrying.

Would probably try other hotels for a staycation instead of Bay Hotel though as I really want to have a nice pool to rest and relax.

Room Tip: Request for rooms that are not facing the cemetery.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JovineT
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Cleaness of the room is terrible.Dental kits already been opened and used.Ants are all over the mini bar.I could only used one word to describe the experience=>TERRIBLE.I had spent $300+ for this kind of room.It's not value for money.I would suggest tourists not to consider this hotel to avoid any dissapoiment that would spoil your holiday.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Eleciaeng
BayHotelSingapore, Public Relations Manager at Bay Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay with us and we appreciate your feedback greatly.

We apologise and truly regret that you did not enjoy your stay at Bay Hotel overall and that the cleanliness of the hotel room did not meet your standards. We have to, however, state that we upkeep very high standards of housekeeping – we regret that the case of the open dental kit is an isolated incident. It has never happened in the past and we will take care not to let it happen again. As for ants, we found no ants when we spot-checked the room; however, we will continue to reinforce our pest control program. We will ensure more stringent checks on our cleanliness moving forward.

We have to emphasize that our many guests who have stayed with us enjoyed their stay and hold our professional standards in high regard. While we regret that your experience was less than satisfactory, we welcome you to return to Bay Hotel Singapore to experience an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed first time at the Bay Hotel (BH) for two nights on 12/09/13 and 13/09/13 after checking out from another 3half star hotel on Bencoolen Street which I normally stay at when in Singapore.

The BH is also a 3half star hotel.
Rate wise it's for traveller with a budget of S$180-S$200 a night on accommodation.

It's located along the very heavy trafficed Telok Blangah Road, but very conveniently across the
road from Vivo City shopping mall. The Vivo City is Singapore largest shopping mall. From
inside Vivo City there is direct access to the Harbour Front metro train station hence making it
easy for transportation to other parts of Sinagpore (eg Chinatown, Marina Bay and Orchard
Road). Singapore's metro train system is a safe, cheap, efficient and clean mode of transportation.

BH is also in close proximity to the Sentosa resort, Singapore's integrated resort island which
offers attractions such theme parks (including Universal Studio), hotels, spa, aquarium,
restuarants, casino, meeting venues and beaches.

There is a food centre (Seah Im food centre) about 5 minutes walk away. It offers a wide array of
local foods at local prices. Prices of food here is about 20% less than foodcourt prices in a
shopping mall. Although covered it's not an air-conditioned enviroment.

For the nature lover there is a nature reserve walk not far from the BH. The start of this nature
walk is just before reaching the Seah Im food centre. Although with Singapore's hot and humid
weather any nature walk is best be done early morning or late afternoon. I did not do the nature reserve walk. Hence no comment to offer about it.

The BH front desk staffs are a very welcoming team. They are always helpful and full smiles when I spoke with them. They behave like real people instead of just check-in machines. A rare quality compared with some of the other Singapore hotels I had stayed in (even the 4&5star ones).

Previous reviews by other travellers lamented about the BH room being "very" small. I don't
share that sentiment though having stayed at another 3half star hotel on Bencoolen Street which
room is also the same size. Yes the rooms in these 3half star hotels are small in comparision to
the standard 4star hotel room but they are certainly not uncomfortable. It's simply a case of you
get what you pay. And the demand for hotels outstrips the supply in Singapore. Thanks to their
very successful global marketing of themselves as a fun tourist destination.

Aside from the usual free coffee and tea making facility, consumption of all beverage and snack
items in the BH room mini bar is also "free". More like they are inclusive in the room rate whether
you want them or not. Stock of items in the mini bar are replenished each day during
housekeeping. There is also free wifi access in the room although I was given the wrong guest
access password on my first enquiry to a staff over the phone.

My room (730) is directly facing the very heavily trafficed main road (see photo). However the
traffic noise is quite effectively screened by the double glazed glass window with only a very
small amount of background traffic noise. I had no trouble sleeping at night at all. But if you are
very sensitive to noise and cannot sleep with the slightest of sound then I would suggest you
specifically ask for a room that is not facing the main road.

The problem I had was with the very weak water pressure set for the shower. The shower has
both wall mount/hand-held and rain shower nozzles. The water pressure is delibrately set to very
low for water/cost saving reason to BH but at the expense of its guest comfort of having an good
shower.

Overall I had quite a pleasant stay at the BH. I would certainly consider staying there again if it
suit my travel needs. But then maybe not because of the shower.

Note:
Trip Advisor scoring only allows for increment of 1s. Although the BH should be scored between
3 & 4, I could only score it as a 3.

Kewlmeister
Sydney Australia

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper make sure to ask for a room NOT facing the main road. It is very heavy tr...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Probably one of the most affordable and nice hotels in Singapore. The rooms are quite small but very clean and have all the facilities your expect. Free wifi and free stocked mini bar plus a very good breakfast buffet down in the restaurant.
Only 200 meters from the Harbour Front MRT and with plenty of shopping and restaurant in the nearby vicinity.
We where very pleasantly reminded that there are good affordable hotels in Singapore.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with windows as not all do have one!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple