“Tiny rooms” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #104 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“Tiny rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

We landed here because of non availability of rooms within Sentosa. Rooms are really small for two peoples but hotel's location compensate everything.You can actually walk to train station and Sentosa gate.

Room Tip: Not good for family or couple stay.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BayHotelSingapore, Public Relations Manager at Bay Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback.

Our Deluxe Queen room, at 23 - 26 square metres, is a good size and appeals to most of our guests who have stayed in them; good, also, for two persons. We are in the final phase of rolling out bigger rooms and they are expected to be ready soon.

We hope to welcome you back at our hotel soon.

Bay Hotel Singapore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

Was made to stay here by my company due to a new corporate agreement, so it was goodbye to the perfectly located M Hotel and affordable yet comfortable Orchid Hotel.

I do not like this hotel. It's not within the area of Anson road where all the offices are so I have to take a cab everywhere, and to get back there are still some taxis who aren't sure where this hotel is. But that's the least of my concerns. Even the Deluxe room is way way way too small. You enter and you'll see the sink in the middle of your room with 2 cubicles for a toilet bowl and shower on your left. They have a rack in front of the bed where you put your luggage and I have to climb over that to get to my bed. There's barely any space in the tiny closet to hang your shirts either.

The room comes with a daily mini bar refresh, but I find this close to useless since I don't snack or want to drink beer in my room, though I have to admit I like the florida natural juice cans. Internet is pretty slow as well. And there is usually a lot of noise from people moving around outside in the cramped corridor, even during late hours when I'm trying to sleep. The first time I stayed here, one pillowcase and one towel had stains as well, which was definitely worrying. If you order room service, they'll have to leave the food tray on your bed because there is simply no space for anything.

The breakfast was simply average. Better than what you get at Orchid hotel, but certainly nothing to shout about.

There were a few nice things though, it wasn't all bad. The young staff are presentable and well-trained, and I've found getting a taxi in the morning is fairly quick since taxis queue up outside the hotel to wait for customers. If you like to go to Vivo City you can walk there from the hotel, but I don't shop or care for any of the food outlets there.

I don't think this hotel presents much value for money since Orchid Hotel is cheaper and has much nicer rooms. Bay Hotel would've gotten 1 star from me but for the efficient and pleasant service from the staff, so I'm bumping them up to 2... barely.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Daniel P
BayHotelSingapore, Public Relations Manager at Bay Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and we regret to hear that you didn’t have the best experience with us.

We are a very short taxi ride from the CBD; the Harbourfront MRT station (just 5 minutes’ walk away) can also take you to a number of places.

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to let us know via enquiries@bayhotelsingapore.com

Please do check back with us for new developments and we endeavour to provide a better experience when you next stay with us.

Bay Hotel Singapore

Travelers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed there one night on business in December. It's located righ accross the Sentosa gate so getting there with a taxi is convenient. On the other hand, there is nothing around so you're a bit stuck there. Checked in. That was friendly and quick. Got to the room. Incredibly small. It's a functional design. Basically a cubicle with glass walls separating bathroom and shower. I am 1.85ms tall. I could probably reach from one corner of the room to the other one fully stretching out my arms. They have one restaurant in the cellar. Food selection is average, quality as well, prices moderate so that works out ok. Sleeping tight is a bit a problem because the place is noisy and the noise isolation between the rooms very minimal. My neighbour watched TV and I heared everything so I tuned my TV in the same channel and tried to sleep. In the morning, early, the noise starts again. Groups of people checking out, banging against walls and doors which I understand given everything is so small. Then, some engineer starts to repais rooms. It sounded like he was mouting a wall plate for a flat screen TV. Not very nice given I was travelling from Europe throughout all of South East Asia, having one night per city with meetings around lunchtime. I was sleep deprived and then, if I could sleep a bit longer, somebody rocks the building. All in all, as I say in the title, very average. For the SGD 280 I paid, one can get - on a prepaid basis - better deals in Singapore. I would not go back to this hotel at that stage.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valuable feedback. While size (or the lack of) is a harsh reality in Singapore, we are certainly concerned with the disturbance you experienced during your stay. We will ensure that repair works are done at more sane hours of the day. From a long term perspective, we will also look into the soundproofing of rooms and doors to see how we can better insulate the rooms and provide a restful stay for guests.

Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

I just completed my stay with the hotel for a 2D1N stay. It was a pleasant experience. Let me share what is good and what can be improved.

Good points:

1) Service staff at the counter while young are pleasant and friendly.

2) The F&B outlet located at the ground staff where I had my breakfast was good with a decent variety of food and the chef was very accomodating when I requested for a banana for my daughter when it was not on display and he went to the kitchen to look for one and passed it to me and even asked if I mind that the banana is not very ripe, this is excellent service!

3) Mini-bar items in the room was entirely complimentary of the hotel and there are snacks, beer, choice drinks and mineral water, on top of the tea and coffee satchets in the room, this is the 1st time I have came across an entirely complimentary mini-bar which was gd! Thumbs up.

4) TV was big enough with a lot of channels such as super sports, HBO, the usual free to air channels and more. Good variety!

5) Request to have a room with a view of Sentosa and Vivo city was accomodated and the view was great!

What can be improved:

1) The toilet is really too small, can barely fit a person of an average height at 1.7m for me with little room to move and the frosted glass is not ideal for non-couples, also the water flow is too tiny and bathing is a little challenging.

2) The manager's attitude at the front counter can be improved. He can be seen displaying discriminatory behavior towards locals as compared to foreigners and this should not be the case as I guess Bay Hotel can be positioned as a good place for locals to have their staycation as the location is simply ideal.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Thks!

Room Tip: Choose a room facing sentosa if you want the scenery but choose a room facing the forested area if y...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lio1704
Dear Guest

We are thrilled to hear that you had a very good stay with us and have proceeded to recommend our hotel to other guests on Tripadvisor.

As we value our guest experience, we will look into the issue of the water flow issues to ensure that our guests enjoy good showers. With regards to the manager’s behavior, could you write to us at enquiries@bayhotelsingapore.com with your name/room number as well as details of the discriminatory incident so we can investigate the matter?

We look forward to having you stay with us again on your next staycation.

kuala lumpur
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed at Bay Hotel from Dec 11 - 13. I had chosen their 3D2N Universal Studios package whereby I was provided with 2 passes and a 1 way transfer to the resort. Check-in was a breeze and I appreciate that Bay hotel had looked into my request for a high floor ( we were given 6th floor) and a non-cemetery view :p. The 2 Universal Studios passes were given upon check-in (which is great as I do not have to line up to purchase tickets at the resort) and I was very surprised when informed that the 1 way transfer was a credit of $SGD 8 given to you in cash. I was informed that I could take a taxi or monorail to Sentosa Island with the cash provided. I had expected the hotel to provide a shuttle transfer and I all got was $8 in cash???
The lobby is small when compared to other hotels I've stayed in and it doesn't look very comfy or inviting. No Christmas tree in sight? Where is the spirit of Christmas? I think they need to hire an interior designer to make the lobby look more exciting and posh!

I got a room with main window facing Mount Faber and desk window facing a concrete block of building! Space-wise, the room was smaller than expected, it was cramped but still maneuverable. The toilet has got to be smallest I've seen, 2 cubicles separated by frosted glass and it wasn't very user-friendly. It was not very convenient having to move to the bathroom cubicle after using the toilet. If you are staying with a non-partner, you risk showing your body to him/her as the frosted glass did not provide much of a shade! Also I find it odd that the wash basin is right in front of the bed! Imagine washing your face and brushing your teeth just centimetres away from your bed!

Otherwise, bed and pillows was comfortable but the tv channels were a disappointment. There was practically no movie channels to watch and mostly local channels (5&8) and not cable were offered. I really like the minibar and 3 cheers to the hotel for making it complimentary! There was only 1 bathrobe provided when we checked into the room and this was promptly resolved by the housekeeping services. Housekeeping services were excellent. Rooms were cleaned promptly after we were back from shopping and various requests for ironing board and additional shower gels were met swiftly. In addition, the rooms are clean and the bed and pillows were spotless. Amenities such as personal safe, hair-dryer, toiletries, laundry bags, slippers are all provided. There is also an alarm clock which doubles up as an iphone/ipod charger. One big problem is the space provided to hang your clothes is just too small and it's not even a proper wardrobe/cupboard! Just a steel bar with hangers! And no iron/board provided!

Sleep quality was good. Some reviews on Tripadvisor had criticised the noise level due to the lack of soundproofing of the walls and busy highway opposite the hotel. Truthfully, I slept like a log! It was calm and certainly not noisy and unbearable.

The swimming pool was tiny and it certainly doesn't look very inviting. The pool waters was just not clear and it looks as if the hotel has not cleaned it for quite sometime. Also the gym was pathetic! I wonder how they can built a gym room that could only accommodate 1 person at any time and there was not even a running treadmill machine. As a Celebrity Fitness gym member, this gym certainly pales in comparison!

Location of hotel is a bonus! It is within walking distance to Vivo City which is just across the road and also within vicinity is Harbour Front Shopping Centre and St. James Power station :)
Access to Sentosa is a breeze via monorail which cost about $3.50 per single trip for a 1 way entry only.

Breakfast spread was superb! Good selection of foods were displayed and I really enjoyed it! Though the kitchen staff could really speed up making my omelette when I ordered it. It takes ages and when I'm nearly finished with breakfast, then only it arrives. Anyhow the staff were attentive and it was not really crowded as some of the Tripadvisor reviews had noted.

In conclusion, the Bay hotel is a good place to stay for short trips and the budget-conscious (hotels in Singapore are pricey! For the same price, I could get a 5-star one in KL) as I find it value-for-money and the location is convenient for travel to Sentosa. But if you prefer a more posh and luxuriously-equipped hotels, my recommendation would be the Marina Bay Sands or all those posh hotels at Resort World Sentosa! I did enjoy my stay at the Bay hotel except for the cramped space and the occasional shortcomings but overall it was an good hotel.

Room Tip: Always choose a non-cemetery view (well maybe I am a bit pantang (conservative views) hahaha!) and a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive comments about your stay with us. We are glad it was a good experience for you.

We have opted for the provision of S$8 stipend option as it provides guests on the Universal Studios package the flexibility to take the kind of transport arrangement they prefer without being bound by hotel bus schedules.

Given the space constraints of our lobby, we have decided to forgo Christmas decorations so the space leans towards the spacious end of the size spectrum and we are able to let our guests check in and out comfortably. We ensure that rooms provide an esteemed experience, as you have experienced yourself. The two cubicle arrangement came from the interests of wanting to allow guests to use the bathroom more efficiently when there are two guests in the room. Rooms tend to be on the small side in Singapore so we do our best to ensure we deliver on the soft elements of the room.

We have noted your feedback re. the size of the gym and the pool and will look into both matters – particularly the upkeep of the pool as it is an important feature in our hotel and a great place for guests to chill.

We definitely look forward to having you stay with us again!

Kind Regards
Bhubaneswar, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Clean hotel...good food....tight rooms...away from the down town area...wash basin inside the room....no cupboard in the room...no smoking rooms...ideal for single budget traveler, wonder how two people in twin sharing manage in such tiny rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us.

We hope to welcome you back at our hotel soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I chose to stay at this hotel because it was conveniently located near Sentosa and shopping mall. Check- in was smooth and served with a friendly smile by the receptionist. I booked two rooms and the rooms were very clean .The toilets were spotless. The beds were very comfortable. I slept well throughout the night. I ordered room service and the foods served were hot and delicious. My kids enjoyed the swimming pool too. .The only downside would be the limited parking space. Overall i enjoyed my 3 nights stay at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012