“An over-rated budget hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Ardennes Hotel

The Ardennes Hotel
Ranked #162 of 304 Hotels in Singapore
Gurgaon, India
“An over-rated budget hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was the second hotel that we stayed in while on our vacation in Singapore. I had high expectations from this property as its rated 4 star on Booking.com. But to sheer surprise it was a real pain to even find this hotel. We got down at Bugis station and asked the locals and taxis about the hotel and the street it was located on, but none had any idea. Took us more than an hour to finally locate this hotel and check in.

Pros: Clean room, friendly staff.

Cons: Location, expensive, not a very fancy hotel to be rated as 4 star, tiny swimming pool, very limited choice for breakfast.

At this price, one can get better hotels in Singapore.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Had a staycation at this little hotel located right in the middle of Lavender and Bugis road. Was given the black suite though I had initially booked for the floral suite. Even after I argued with the reception, the staff just simply refused to change to my original floral suite for me as they had given my room to another occupant. This really spoiled my day.

Other than the rude service given by the hotel staff, this hotel is pretty worth staying if you love privacy and do not mind the service provided, since they do not have much occupancy units here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The Ardennes is a well located 15 room boutique hotel. The interior is quite stylish and even though the room is small, it is neat and adequate. Given that Singapore hotels are expensive, this one is at the lower end of the range for those that claim to be 4 star. The property is only 5 minutes walk from Bugis Junction and there are several interesting bars and cafes on the same street, Jalan Klapa (Malay for "Coconut Street"). The hotel even has a nice looking pool on the second floor, but I cannot imagine it gets much use because it is tiny and located directly outside a couple of guest rooms.

That is the good part.

Now the problems. Firstly, the breakfast is totally inadequate. There is no choice - either you accept a plate with a weird vegetarian combination of a pancake, scrambled eggs and a hash brown or you get nothing. There is a single piece of fruit on offer. Hello? What is wrong with the "cook" buying a packet of bacon and some sausages on the way to work???? And how about some bananas, which you can buy around the corner for next to nothing??? This is sheer laziness on the part of the staff and management and lets the hotel down badly.

Secondly, it appears that the staff lie (or have been told to lie by the management). I asked for a late checkout - a very routine request in Singapore because many of us have evening flights and one which is almost invariably granted. However, the response from the front desk was "No, we are fully booked". Well boys and girls, in this age of the internet that's fairly easy to investigate and the very first site I went to - Agoda - showed that there was in fact at least one room still available.

So the correct response to my request for a late check out should have been "No - we can't be bothered" or "No, it doesn't suit us".

I can live with the substandard breakfast. What I cannot abide is being lied to. Shame on you.

Room Tip: There probably is not a great deal of difference given there are a total of 15 rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We´ve stayed in the "black" executive suite and that was gorgeus. We stayed for 3 nights so the room and bathroom was great for relaxing after expending all day visiting Singapore. The only regret was the breakfast, everyday was the same and it would have been nice to have some more variety.
It´s an small hotel, which makes it quiet and wtih many nice details that makes you feel like in a higher star.
It´s well located, and you can find many places to eat around. THe buildings of the area have all 3 floors, and that in Singapore you will appreciate, . Just one tip, if you take a taxi, just remeber to take a card so that the driver can know how to find it.

Room Tip: It´s well known that in Asia all the rooms are small, so if you can take a suite, you will hace spac...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
roma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

For the prices I payed, there is no convenience. Too small room (suite) and not cleaned sheet.
I think it would be better considered a medium 3 star hotel than a 4.
The only positive thing is that is nearest the nice Bugis zone and not so far (8 minutes walking) from the subway.

• Stayed August 2012
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

cheap hotel but very nice room, it's a low rise hotel, accessible bec it's between two MRT station. SInce it's a bit walking distance to MRT station you can ride a bus going there for 2-3mins. there's convenience store and easy for taxi to find it. The breakfast is good.

We stayed at the ground rooms, room 101, dont stay below rooms bec you can hear footsteps from the stairway made of wood, though they have elevators I am not sure why many people use it. nice frontdesk, very accomodating

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank catbearkiss
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Well, although I put 4-stars for this hotel, I must tell that there are two minor problems with this hotel; first, the taxi driver from the airport did not know that this hotel is exist!! I mean, how can a taxi driver doesn't know about it? Because of this, we got off at Bugis Junction and were forced to walk to the hotel as we didn't have any other option. That was our first trip to Singapore, we were barely blind with everything, luckily I noted the hotel adresse and remembered the route from Bugis to the hotel from google map.
So, after almost half an hour, we arrived at the Ardennes, and feel happy with what we see, the hotel is nice, clean, comfort, modern even tho it was small compare to other hotel.
However, we were quite surprise to find that the breakfast was not in buffet style. They only have omelet, sausages, some fish chips *I guess*, and coffee, milk, tea, or juice. Surely you may ask for more portion if what they gave you is not enough for you, but they don't have anything else to offer in the morning. The restaurant itself is small if it's not tiny, but the ceiling is quite unique; while having your breakfast, you can see the sky through a transparent ceiling which is actually a swimming pool. I didn't see anyone swimming during my stay there, but I think it would be quite an experience as well if you want to try it.
For the room, I found that it was so clean, comfortable, and practical. The bathroom consist of shower cabin, a toilet, a wash basin and some amenities provided for free. You also have hairdryer in the closet, you can make your own coffe and tea as well, the flat screen tv is nice, the bed is bouncy, me and my husband really enjoyed our stay. The Ardennes located adjacent to Kampong Glam, Arab and Haji Lane, you can walk to Bugis street. We walked up to Orchard, Mustafa, Clark Quay, and SIngapore Flyer, it was nice, but for those who can't bare the heat, I won't recommend to stroll down the street after 10 AM, luckily, the MRT Bugis is only 300-400 meter away from the Ardennes, so there won't be any problem.
Otherwise, you can ask the friendly hotel staff to reserve a cab which will show up right in front of the hotel door *yes, the door, because the Ardennes is located in the lane, not street*... The staff booked me a cab to the airport as well and it came on time. I also had a problem with my credit card, but the staff gave me an option and it was really heplful indeed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple