“First visit - enjoyed my meal”

The Disgruntled Chef
Ranked #567 of 10,676 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Tucked away in the lush dining paradise that is Dempsey Hill, The Disgruntled Chef has redefined Singapore’s dining scene, elevating the social dining experience with their communal eating concept.The Disgruntled Chef sidesteps the traditional relationship between good food and formality, a place where you can enjoy high quality gourmet food in a casual laid- back environment. Despite its quirky name, The Disgruntled Chef is serious about its food, innovative cocktails, great wine and warm service.
Pleasantville, NY
“First visit - enjoyed my meal”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Sat at the bar for a solo dinner during a recent visit to Singapore. This is an elegant, but not a formal restaurant in Dempsey Hill with pleasant, friendly and attentive staff.

For my small plate, I chose a shrimp/chorizo dish cooked in a crisp pastry case. This wasn't a great success. Although the combination of shrimp and chorizo was excellent, the decision to cook them in a papilotte was a mistake. The oil from the chorizo made the pastry tough and soggy. My entree was much more successful - braised short rib served with mushrooms and parsnip puree - and delicious, as was the sticky toffee pudding dessert.

Expect $90 (Singapore) per person for 3 courses + a glass of wine, no coffee. Certainly quite expensive, but well worth it in my view.

• Visited August 2013

• Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
“A great escape from the madness with very decent food”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We have been going to The Disgruntled Chef since it's opening and are recognised as repeat customers (though we don't visit very often).

The cuisine is edgy with some really interesting touches of finesse but can be at time uneven.
This Sunday saw us ordering The Steak Tartare which was absolutely delicious wish a soft quail egg. The corn beef hash was unsurprising and I have actually no recollection of eating it (despite the fact that I remember ordering it). The grilled asparagus was very solid (as in demonstrating some know how) with a wonderful soft cook egg.

As we tend to err on the side of pigginess, the two of us ordered three desserts (isn't what you are supposed to do)? The Roquefort Magnum is the most interesting and has been on the menu for a little while and is revisited with great pleasure. The Sticky Toffee pudding was very indulgent. The profiteroles seem to be lacking some inspiration... you can skip the profiteroles...

Please Disgruntled Chef, do bring back the baked camembert...

“Tucked away gem”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Came here with a friend for a late lunch / brunch on a Sunday, what a little gem. The concept of sharing all the food is right up my alley, love the idea of getting a taste of everything! The menu was extensive and supported by a black board range as well. Each dish we had was presented nicely with great individual flavors. The mozzarella was the best I have had in a long time. The wine list extensive and for those not wanting wine there were plenty of other options including fresh juices. We sat inside although there is a good undercover outside section as well. Our waitress was great, attentive and just as one expects a service professional to be, makes the whole experience of dining out even more of a pleasant experience. A place I need to bring all my friends to.

1 Thank Mytravelworldrocks
“A GEM in Dempsey..”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Great food and even better service. Didn't get the name of the staff who served us but she's a petite lady who very kindly explained the menu and recommended our choices for the night. She was also very attentive and a definite asset to the restaurant.. Moving on to the food, the lamb ribs were awesome and the misi cod was good too. Will definitely come by again soon..

“Good food”
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

The food was really good. I like the idea of lots different dishes a nice way to eat. The wine was good along with good service it's a nice place to eat. A little pricey but definitely will go back.

Visited July 2013