“Wink hostel rocked”

Ranked #12 of 230 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
London, United Kingdom
“Wink hostel rocked”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This being my 1st stay in a hostel I was nervous about the pod idea of the hostel. But I am soooo glad I stayed here. The rooms where light and airy and cool from the air con. The pods are great to have your own privacy but don't feel claustrophobic in the slightest. When you scan your card to get into the room, only your pod lights up so no other sleepers are distracted. Lockers under the pods were huge! Big enough to fit my huge rucksack, and 2 smaller bags. I always saw the cleaner cleaning the communal areas, bathrooms were spotless and my bed was always freshly made for me when I returned after a day of sightseeing. Location fantastic-can walk from Chinatown MRT in about 3 minutes and felt very safe being a single girl travelling on my own. Have recommended to all my friends who are coming to Singapore-just wish there was a concept like this in Hong Kong and Japan where I'm off too next!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Hayley T
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Hey Hayley! Thanks for taking time out to write. Appreciate your kind comments, doubly so, this being your first hostelling experience! Glad it worked out. We'd love to have your friends stay here when they pass through.... Wink has plans for expansion, but probably won't make it in time to host you when you travel through Japan and Hong Kong shortly though..... Again thanks! Safe travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Madrid
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Very good located at Chinatown and very close to the MRT stop. You can find a lot of places to have dinner in the surrondings.
The hostel is good, very clean and the pods are very confortable. There is a light breakfast avaible and you can leave your belongings under de pods in a very safe box.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Amparo L
Hi Amparo,
Thanks for staying with us, and finding time to write. Safe travels and we hope to see you again.
Brisbane
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here for several nights and found that while it outperformed traditional hostels in some way, it also falls short in another. For more than twice the price of your average hostel, you'd expect there to be air-conditioning throughout the entire floor, not just in the dormitories. As you go in and out of your room and the common areas you're constantly switching from very, very humid to cold and dry. For this alone I would not go back to Wink.
The pods themselves were great in providing privacy and eliminating the discomfort of rocking, squeaking bunks, however there was no ventilation in an essentially open ended box and it can get stuffy even with the air-con on. The air-con in our dorm also wouldn't swing so circulation was poor to begin with.
I could not fault the service or location, right at Chinatown and yet very little street noise throughout the night. The locker space was very generous and the access system modern and secure, however there was no security measure in place for baggage storage.
Overall for me it was a case of fixing one problem but introducing another. Now that I've tried wink, I would opt for a regular hostel next time around or a hotel. Especially when travelling as a pair, a hotel wouldn't have cost us much more.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bec_and_Wanch
Hi!
I did not get a chance to chat with you (if you are the guest I have in mind) but understand from the team that there was a little misunderstanding and unhappiness to begin with ... Sorry! Thanks for taking time to write.

If I can go into some detail on air-conditioning .... We do have AC in the main public areas like the Cafe and Lounge. We often switch the AC on here, but often leave it to guests' discretion (remote is accessible). Feedback has been mixed - some guests maintain they can always get cooled in their rooms; and prefer natural ventilation than have recycled air throughout the whole premise. AC is not available in the kitchenette as guests do some basic cooking. It is not available in the corridors, where we have generous 'airwells' and louvre windows to be found in older heritage buildings like ours. To be honest, we're reluctant to air-condition the corridors for this reason.

I'm a little surprised with the comment on stuffiness in the pods. The reverse is more frequent, where guests have urged us to put up curtains to cover the pods for more privacy (which would directly affect AC circulation into the pods...).

Again thanks for your stay, and sorry your experience at Wink did not quite work out.
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Our stay in Wink Hostel is great. Very accessible to places to see in Singapore. Rooms are clean even the bathroom. I would like to suggest if you can change or extend your breakfast time from 6am-1030am for the guests who woke up and start strolling early. And also if you can put up another TV in the second floor. I definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2012
Hi,
Thanks for taking time to write! We do provide early breakfasts if guests ask as we are 24/7 and pulling this together is no trouble at all. You'd have to come again to let us do this for you! Apart from the TV lounge, you're suggesting a second TV.....hmmm... not quite sure where we'd place this. This is one we'd need to think about (or you can point this out as well when you return)! Again thanks for your kind words.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hostel was very appealing online. The other reviews I read have been mostly accurate. The airconditioning is limited to the sleeping areas and other areas can be a little warm. There is far more privacy than a standard dorm room, but it isn't a private room. Generally clean, had no problem with gettting a shower, though the water was sometimes cool. This didn't bother me as it was hot in the bathroom and outside. The breakfast leaved a lot to be desired, but it was better than nothing. I would prefer to pay a few dollars and go to Ya Kun Kaya Toast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thanks for your remarks!

Feedback has been that our water is too hot (!) - as we installed a spare central heater which is almost always switched on as well. A little surprised you found the water cold... perhaps you bathed during off hours and did not turn on the heater switch?

Our breakfast comprises choice of cereals, milk, fresh fruits, fruit juices, bread with 5-6 varieties of jams and peanut butter, coffee, tea and chocolate. Given resource constraints and trade-offs of amenities/services, "hot" options like eggs, sausages, etc. are not in the menu for now. Sorry.... We are monitoring and feedback like yours help.

Again thanks. Safe travels.
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here I'm February while on vacation. I loved it! The location is great right in the heart of china town. Walking distance to Maxwell street hawker stall and the shops on Ann street. It was clean and tidy. The bed was so comfy. And provides nice privacy. The locker storage is big enough to fit a person ha ha! I ate breakfast once during my three night stay. I preferred eating the delicious an cheap street food.

On the last night I returned to my room and it was crazy hot. Apparently the air conditioner broke down. The guy on duty was so kind and did a great job handling the situation. He even gave me and the othe ladies in my room free sodas. It was fixed within 2-3 hours and it happened after 11pm at night.

I recommend this place and even blogged about it! It well worth the money an hopefully it stays that way.

• Stayed February 2012
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Hi,
Wow - thanks for your kind remarks notwithstanding you stayed more than half a year ago! We are still trying hard to keep the place fresh and the standards consistent, and learning along the way. We've tweaked our amenities/offerings a little since you stayed .... Come back and keep us on our toes! Hope to see you soon.
Newcastle
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Reasonably clean, well-organised and a good place to stay for one or two nights. I didn't like having to walk past the breakfast area to take a shower - not looking my best in the morning so didn't need an audience. Secure place to store belongings was appreciated. Some noise from corridor so not great for light sleepers. Beds definitely offer more privacy that regular hostel set up. Good location. Good value for money. Shower room regularly cleaned throughout the day. Breakfast included fresh fruit, cereal, toast and jam etc. Helpful staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank wre3
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Hi,
Many thanks! I appreciate that you took time to run through most of the different facets here at Wink. Glad it generally worked out.

Sorry to hear you experienced some corridor sounds. Sometimes guests forget/do not notice our "Quiet Period" signs, and the team here can do a better job managing guests' noises. I'd remind the team to be vigilant. Pse drop me a note (info@winkhostel.com) if you have time to let me know which dorm you stayed in that was affected. Again thanks.