“More private than your average hostel”

Wink Capsule Hostel
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hostel was very appealing online. The other reviews I read have been mostly accurate. The airconditioning is limited to the sleeping areas and other areas can be a little warm. There is far more privacy than a standard dorm room, but it isn't a private room. Generally clean, had no problem with gettting a shower, though the water was sometimes cool. This didn't bother me as it was hot in the bathroom and outside. The breakfast leaved a lot to be desired, but it was better than nothing. I would prefer to pay a few dollars and go to Ya Kun Kaya Toast.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
cb h, Owner at Wink Capsule Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thanks for your remarks!

Feedback has been that our water is too hot (!) - as we installed a spare central heater which is almost always switched on as well. A little surprised you found the water cold... perhaps you bathed during off hours and did not turn on the heater switch?

Our breakfast comprises choice of cereals, milk, fresh fruits, fruit juices, bread with 5-6 varieties of jams and peanut butter, coffee, tea and chocolate. Given resource constraints and trade-offs of amenities/services, "hot" options like eggs, sausages, etc. are not in the menu for now. Sorry.... We are monitoring and feedback like yours help.

Again thanks. Safe travels.

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here I'm February while on vacation. I loved it! The location is great right in the heart of china town. Walking distance to Maxwell street hawker stall and the shops on Ann street. It was clean and tidy. The bed was so comfy. And provides nice privacy. The locker storage is big enough to fit a person ha ha! I ate breakfast once during my three night stay. I preferred eating the delicious an cheap street food.

On the last night I returned to my room and it was crazy hot. Apparently the air conditioner broke down. The guy on duty was so kind and did a great job handling the situation. He even gave me and the othe ladies in my room free sodas. It was fixed within 2-3 hours and it happened after 11pm at night.

I recommend this place and even blogged about it! It well worth the money an hopefully it stays that way.

• Stayed: February 2012
cb h, Owner at Wink Capsule Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Hi,
Wow - thanks for your kind remarks notwithstanding you stayed more than half a year ago! We are still trying hard to keep the place fresh and the standards consistent, and learning along the way. We've tweaked our amenities/offerings a little since you stayed .... Come back and keep us on our toes! Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Reasonably clean, well-organised and a good place to stay for one or two nights. I didn't like having to walk past the breakfast area to take a shower - not looking my best in the morning so didn't need an audience. Secure place to store belongings was appreciated. Some noise from corridor so not great for light sleepers. Beds definitely offer more privacy that regular hostel set up. Good location. Good value for money. Shower room regularly cleaned throughout the day. Breakfast included fresh fruit, cereal, toast and jam etc. Helpful staff.

1  Thank wre3

Hi,
Many thanks! I appreciate that you took time to run through most of the different facets here at Wink. Glad it generally worked out.

Sorry to hear you experienced some corridor sounds. Sometimes guests forget/do not notice our "Quiet Period" signs, and the team here can do a better job managing guests' noises. I'd remind the team to be vigilant. Pse drop me a note (info@winkhostel.com) if you have time to let me know which dorm you stayed in that was affected. Again thanks.

Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights. We misinterpreted the high tech pods, and when we arrived we realized they are practically bunks. Hostel was clean and good amenities. They desperately need a bench in the bathroom - no where to put stuff down. Didn't have the same experience with the staff as others have commented. In a really good location, close to China Town MRT. Our experience was affected by others in the room who didn't put their luggage in the lockers and therefore was minimal floor space to do anything.

• Stayed: October 2012
cb h, Owner at Wink Capsule Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Hi,
Thanks for taking time out to write!

We did not get the chance to have a more in depth chat about your experience and expectations ..... Yes, we're not quite a hotel - sorry this was not clear. I appreciate your point on some guests not storing away their belongings, notwithstanding our sizeable lockers. This is a new feedback, and we'd look into it right away. I'd remind the team to be more vigilant in helping guests straighten out/put aside items as much as possible.

Again thanks. Safe travels.

Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Travelling around Europe the last 3 months I've stayed in every hostel you can imagine. Saw on trip advisor this one was recommended and with very good reason! The staff are lovely, the place is immaculate and the beds are great. You can choose a single pod or double pod, that's what my partner and I did, it was just like a hotel. I cannot speak highly enough of this place and will definately be staying here next Singapore trip!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Becky C
cb h, Owner at Wink Capsule Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Hi Beckie,
Wow - thanks for your generous comments! These help reinforce some of the things we are trying and will push us harder. Yes - please come back and let us host you again!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Confession: I'm not the backpacking type. I much prefer the luxuries of hotels - having my own bathroom and bedroom and space...

But if all backpacker places were like Wink then I may change my mind.

We had 22 hours to spend in Singapore and we didn't want to spend a lot of money on a room that we would be spending a few hours in. Good ole Trip Advisor came through once again and we decided to stay at Wink Hostel as it was cheap, well located and looked clean and tidy.

We stayed in a mixed dorm double pod. The pods are comfortable, the lighting is great so as not to disturb others, the bathroom was clean but the one thing that makes Wink fantastic is the staff. They are incredibly helpful and friendly and they seem to really love what they do as they are so incredibly cheery.

We left in such a hurry (as we thought we were going to miss check in) and in our haste I left my sunglasses behind. I emailed the staff and they had found them and offered to post them back for a very minimal price (the cost of freight) and they didn't muck around.... I asked for the 7 day service and they were back in New Zealand in 7 days from the time of our correspondence. And they were packaged so well so as not to be damaged!

The staff are always in contact with you so you know that you have not been forgotten. They really made my experience at a backpackers that much more enjoyable!!!

PS - location is fantastic. Close to the MRT station and chinatown. Perfect.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maximus83

Hi!
Very happy you got your sunglasses back! Many of us here are travellers as well and understand how small things like misplacing a personal item can frustrate a trip. Just glad we managed to find your sunglasses. Many thanks for your kind words on the team. I'd make sure to share your compliments with the team who will no doubt appreciate them! Safe travels.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Two thumbs up! First time to stay in a hostel and it sure made an impact on me. Great staff and really good value for money. The location is also very ideal. Wouldn't think twice about going back here.

Room Tip: Get the bed below.