“Wink Hostel - Truly the best hostel in Singapore!”

Wink Capsule Hostel
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Me and my fiance traveled to Singapore last May 17, 2012 and we spent our 1st night at Wink hostel. They were fully booked from May 18 to 20 that's why we only stayed there for 1 night. At first, I was in doubt if sleeping in a hostel is a good idea (especially that the rooms are shared with other people). It was my first time. We booked a Doubles pod thru Skype and Fathu was very accommodating. He answered ALL my questions, literally even if my questions were not very related with my booking. (particularly directions, tourist attractions, taxi fare, etc) Bottom line is the staff of Wink hostel surely knows how to please their clients. After speaking with Fathu, my apprehensions were all gone.

Our room was clean, there were another couple staying under our pod. The place was homey (feels like home). Their free breakfast was nice, kinda felt like I was home but nicer. :) The bathrooms were VERY clean, there were some free stuff as well like shampoo, body wash, facial wash, and many more! It's amazing.

Their wifi is free and there are laptops available in their wifi areas. By the way, they are located in Mosque Street in Chinatown, walking distance to MRT & Chinatown Market.

Overall, my experience with Wink hostel was excellent. Couldn't say anything bad about them. I'd highly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mlacsamana
cb h, Owner at Wink Capsule Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

Many thanks for your encouragement! Glad your first hostelling experience worked out. Yes, my colleagues and I treat Wink like home and are very pleased you find it "homey". We try hard to help with questions - and often have biased answers! - but will admit to often getting stumped (one guest wanted to buy an exotic Chinese knife)....

Eh, by the way, we do not provide free toiletries (to manage readers' expectations). We do often get kind guests who leave behind items for communal use, for which we are very grateful. You left behind for us some very kind words - again thanks! Please visit again.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

As soon as I heard of Wink Hostel, i knew instantly it was one of those place that you must try it out yourself and truth be told. I was not dissapointed.

Charging SGD50 for a single pod, it is pricier than the other regular dorms that you're able to get in Chinatown but frankly speaking, i felt it was well worth it.

First and foremost, the pods offer some privacy but not at any point claustrophobic. I was able to sit upright and didn't feel confined at all. The bed and sheets were comfortable,clean and pods were adequately equipped with reading lights, power point and hooks to hang your stuff. The best part is, since it is a pod, even if people climbed to the top bunk or if your roomie on the top bunk moves about. THE BED WILL NOT CREAK.

Key card is provided upon check in for you to access your room as well as your locker which is right below your pod. Double thumbs up for the locker, sufficient space to fit large backpacks and a simple tap with your keycard to both lock & unlock the locker.

They've utilized the space very well imho, common areas were clean, laptop provided for you to surf the net etc, dining area where simple breakfast of cereal & toast provided every morning.There's also a laundry room which i took a peek and had dryers and washing machines that you can use for a fee.

Toilets were clean with sufficient shower stalls (big shower heads & good pressure...absolutely love) and even a hairdryer provided. I never had to queue.

At the end of the day, it is these small little details that shows that the owner have really thought well on what backpacker needs these days and incorporating into Wink Hostel which i really appreciate.

If I had one gripe about this place is that the common area were really hot in the afternoons but then again this is Singapore, perhaps the fan was not turn on since there was no one at the common area at that time. Not that it is a big issue anyways. Room air-conditioning were fine though.

Location was great, next to Chinatown MRT with convenience store nearby. Oh..and free wi-fi throughout the Hostel.

Great job Wink Hostel, looking forward for my next return to SG.

2  Thank Veronica1984
cb h, Owner at Wink Capsule Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2012

Hi Veronica,
If you are the Veronica who stayed with us for one night during a time when Wink was full with 2 big groups of guests, we are doubly grateful for your kind comments! We are conscious some independent travellers like you risked being overwhelmed by the dynamics of big travelling groups.

We try hard not to get too distracted with the groups and focus attention on individual travellers as well. Grateful you did not find us wanting. Yes - please come back again. We look forward to getting to know you better and sharing more of Wink with you. Again thanks.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

It was great experience as first time I stayed in hostel for more than a month. The hotel staffs were very helpful and passionate.

• Stayed: May 2012

Appreciate that you took time to share your succinct recommendations! Many thanks and safe travels.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

I absolutely loved staying at Wink. I kind of missed their little pod beds when I got back home! The lighting system is great, a few coat hooks in the room to hang up towels/items would be great but overall I have zero complaints.

I came in grouchy and was greeted with an award winning smile from behind the desk. I stayed in the female dorm, which provided ample amount of privacy and was designed in an extremely intelligent manner. People cleaned the rooms every day and I had an overall excellent stay. If you're on a budget, I'd recommend you stay here. It's worth it.

Thanks guys!

Room Tip: *I accidentally clicked Fitness centre. There isn't one! I'd recommend staying in the gende...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
cb h, Owner at Wink Capsule Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2012

Very kind words! I'd share your generous comments with the team who will be greatly encouraged to keep working harder. Many thanks.

Reviewed May 12, 2012

I stayed 2 nights in April 2012. I lived in female dorm.

If you want to have a clean bed with good location, I think the Wink is a good choice.

The location is very good. Just 1-2 minutes from the Exit A of Chinatown MRT station. For solo lady travellers, in case you need to go back the Hostel late at night (like 12am), I think it is safe enough to do that as there are still many passerbys on the street near the Wink.

The common area, bathroom and toliet are clean. The pod are new enough and the beddings are clean and good in quality which make you feel comfortable to stay.

I appreciate the staff are so nice and giving us sincere helps. We are benefited from the travelling advices from them.

Well, I have made so many positive comments on Wink. Maybe you suspect I am paid to write. Of course not! In order to prove I am a real customer who is independent from Wink, here I will point out the room to improve for Wink.

As the pod I stayed faces to the window, I can hear the traffic noise from the street. I cannot sleep very well actually.

I appreciate the common area can facilitate the travellers from different countries meet and chat each other. I was benefited to have a nice chatting time before. But, the common area is not air-conditioned, I started to sweat when I stayed here more than 10 minutes. The advantage is I can breathe Singapore and experience the Singapore lifestyle, but the disadvantage is it brought me a hesitation to bath again before sleep.

And the public hygiene of the street nearby the entrance of Wink is not good enough. If these problems can be solved, I think the room rates of Wink would become worthier. Anyway, I still recommend and give a 'Like' to wink.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Linda2010Van

Hi Linda,
Thanks for finding time to list out areas for us to work on!

Noise level has not been a frequent complaint, but a key attribute we monitor closely. In part due to our custom-designed pods (beds) and layout, this has been under control. Your feedback is prompting us to look at 2-3 pods near the front rooms perhaps more susceptible to noise from the road (sorry - I couldn't trace your pod; perhaps you booked under a different name?). One active step is to inquire/warn guests at check-in on their noise-tolerance level re these pods.

Some common areas like the Café and the Lounge are actually fitted with air-con, and guests are at liberty to switched these on themselves. Quite a few guests however prefer these to be cooled by fans, not wanting their tropical experience to be aircon'd all the time, as their rooms are already air-conditioned. We have no restricted hours on air-conditioning in the rooms and these areas. We do have wide corridors and cosy nooks (benefits of a heritage shophouse) and these can be hot sometimes notwithstanding the many fans – sorry. Maybe we should share with guests your solution of more baths!

As for the public space/hygiene in Chinatown – I think this is an area the Chinatown Business Association et. al. are already monitoring carefully. We’d use your feedback to reinforce the point with them.

Above aside, great to hear you’d recommend Wink. Many thanks for your kind encouragements.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I love the pod style bed. The electrical outlet in every pod. The reading light. They all seem like a small thing, but it makes you feel taken care of and have what you need within your reach. The staff were awesome and very helpful. They let me keep my luggage after I check out while waiting for my flight, so I can run around the city without carrying them around. I will definitely return when I visit Singapore in the future.

Room Tip: If possible, try to get the bed pod away from the door as people in your room may come in and out an...
1  Thank blueplanettraveler
cb h, Owner at Wink Capsule Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

Hi,
Thanks for the write-up on your stay! I also saw your kind e-mail. Yes, we value feedback as it is a great way for us to improve or correct ourselves. Looking forward to hosting you at Wink again, hopefully very soon!

Reviewed May 10, 2012

I stayed here last night - 9/5/12

Clean. Friendly. Helpful. Great location.

3mins from the train station - from there u can go anywhere. Or just walk into town

Singapore is a beautiful city. Well worth the trip into the city for my 24hr stopover - between flights.

Will stay here again