Five Stones Hostel
  • Restaurant
Average 3/5
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewsno shoe policyarab streetfree laundrycereal and toastnintendo wiifemale bathroomhaji lanelounge areagolden milemixed dormbed dormnicoll highwaybig tvmrt stationair conwashing machinekampong glam
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Well, like every other hostel, Fivestone provides the minimum of what you need to get sleep on budget. Bed, air-con'd shared room, clean shared bathroom, laundry, and sometimes breakfast. However, unlike other, it is less hassle, cleaner, and easily reached if you're first-timer in Singapore (but mostly it's easy to find anything there in city-state country).

I've stayed there 3 times. First time with a group of 4, second time 8, and last time 3 people. It's easy as always to get in. I got there at reguler time twice, the check in process was fast, and one time got there late night, so the staffs, whom anytime we met were always excited and helpful, were unavailable. But they notified us on email about what must we did, what room number were ours, the PIN code for the elevator, and where they kept our room's key. Pretty simple process, imo.

The breakfast was basic but quite enough when you're on budget. The couch, the sofa's pretty much comfortable. There's DVD player and also PS console. The bathroom's quite clean, and so was the toilet. They separate ladies's and gent's bathroom, but not the toilet. There's also washing machine and dish washer, which I never used.

I personally love my first and second time there, though last time I got there with 2 other friends, we got different room. Little disappointed with that since when we booked online, it said available. Anyway we deal with it. Well, the other thing was, in my room, I shared with group of loud guests. It's really hard to get sleep. They played poker card inside room and worse, they had whiskey, which I thought was prohibited.

But overall, this place is well worth to stay.

Room Tip: Bring your own toiletries and towel. They provide them but not free.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jakworld
FiveStonesHostel, Owner at Five Stones Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thanks for the review. You are nearby in Jakarta so hopefully we will get the chance to host you again.

Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I've been to many Hostels in Australia & stayed for 4 nights in the Five Stones in Singapore!

Free Basic Breakfast, very friendly staff, always cooled down rooms & free laundry.. They even bring you ur clothes back to the room..
Nice TV & DVD offers..

BUT: no windows in the rooms, confusing when you wake up

• Stayed: May 2013
FiveStonesHostel, Owner at Five Stones Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thanks for you kind review, especially the point about how helpful our fantastic staff are. Hopefully you will stay again next time that you are in Singapore.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend on our Singapore-Bali trip and Five Stones hostel ticked all the boxes. We decided to stay at a hostel in Singapore and a hotel in Bali and we were glad we did. This hostel is clearly well-run, clean and has a really friendly atmosphere - watching Friends with a bunch of strangers from all around the world was an experience. Breakfast was good and the free internet came in handy for checking overnight football scores back home!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to write and for staying at Five Stones Hostel during your trip to Bali and Singapore. Must seem a long way from Blackpool :) You feed back on our staff is particularly appreciated. We hope the trip home went well and that you will stay in Five Stones Hostel again on your next trip out East.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

This hostel is one of the best I have ever stayed in. My partner and I stayed in a 6-bed dorm which was really nice, one night had the room to ourselves. Great size, super comfortable beds and the air-con kept it a nice temperature. The central location allowed us to explore the city with ease and the staff are really friendly and helpful. Breakfast is an added bonus as is the free wi-fi and computers in the lounge. Will be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review and for staying at Five Stones Hostel. We are very glad that we helped you to have a good Asia trip. We are looking forward to hosting you again should you be out our way again.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I and 2 friends booked three bunk beds in a 16-bed mixed dorm room early in January 2013. In the photos, the place looked really spacious, but in reality it is very crowded, I did not feel like moving a lot. When we got there, it was still not time for check-in so we left our luggage on the hallway of the lobby, which was already pretty crowded with bags.

We got back to check in and see the room, which also looked spacious in photos but was a bit more crowded. Nevertheless, the beds were very comfy, I loved resting in my bed! However, my friends and I had to speak in hushed tones every time, but I had to remind them sometimes that there was actually no one in the room but us. I guess this is just an inconvenience if you stay at a backpacker's hostel.

I also found the individual lights nice, except... I was always the last one up, and every time someone entered the room one night, they would not turn on their own lights and use mine to get ready to sleep! I don't have the heart to deliberately turn the light out... :(

Sharing a room with a lot of people will also inconvenience you on the temperature of the aircon! Sometimes it gets too cold! So I had to just quickly adjust temperature when nobody's looking and go right back to bed.

There were personal lockers so you could keep your stuff locked up.

Bathrooms and toilets - toilets are unisex on each floor, women's bath was on our floor, but our friend had to go down one floor to take a bath in the men's room. Toilets were super clean, they even have a bidet! There were heaters but you had to turn them on before you take a bath (I had forgotten on my 2nd day, so I had to deal with a cool shower). Shampoo and shower gel were available; I used my own shampoo just because; but the shower gel was very nice-smelling! They also have hand dryer and hair dryer, which I love!

Location was really great---there was a mall (Central, with an MRT station) a few blocks away, a 7-11 downstairs, a bus stop downstairs (just one ride to VivoCity), walking distance from Funan, Merlion Park... etc! Oh, and also Chinatown. Really great area.

Common area - we never got to have breakfast because on our first morning there, when breakfast was supposedly setup by 8:30, it still wasn't there, so we decided to just buy food at 7-11 and go straight to USS. It did get a bit crowded by that time 'cause everyone was having their breakfast. They also offered free Milo, coffee, and tea. There were two computers and you can print---you just have to email your files to the receptionist (I couldn't save our boarding passes as PDF so I gave up). There were also DVDs and a Wii I think but we never got to try those out.

Service was really good! The receptionists were really nice and friendly. :)

Overall, I definitely enjoyed my stay here, and I would definitely come back here if I go to Singapore again! :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
FiveStonesHostel, Owner at Five Stones Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Mayonnesse,

Thanks for the comprehensive review of our hostel. You say that you would definitely stay with us again. Great, we would love to see you. The points you make about the great location and great staff are those that most of our guests comment on.

Hopefully we will see you in Singapore again soon.