“It could have been great except for the bedbugs!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Five Stones Hostel

Five Stones Hostel
Ranked #12 of 223 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
“It could have been great except for the bedbugs!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

This was my first solo backpacking. I wanted it to be just fine. I don't expect exceptional things since it is a hostel, nothing extravagant I know that.

First, they threw the plastic bag where I put my dirty clothes. They thought it was thrash since there were also torn gift wrappers inside. They found it in the thrash bin. The clothes are still inside the plastic. They washed it for me. They were very apologetic.

Second, I woke up at 1 in the morning because of bedbugs. I killed 4. I slept on the living room. There was a contact number to dial in case of emergency but what the heck. They changed the sheet and pillow case. They visited me in the morning with a first aid kit in case I need one. Again, they were apologetic.

Would I come back to this hostel? Of course not! Would I recommend it? Check other reviews.

• Stayed January 2012
4 Thank danmbuen
FiveStonesHostel, Owner at Five Stones Hostel, responded to this review, January 21, 2012
Hi Danmbuen

First of all, our sincerest apologies for your bad experience. The plastic bag fiasco was a terrible misunderstanding because our cleaning company had assumed it was thrash due to the torn wrappers covering the clothes. We clean thoroughly between 8am-5pm and we try to ensure the whole hostel is clean and tidy. Our overzealous cleaning has resulted in this error. We will be very careful with any stray plastic bags lying around in the future.

Secondly, regarding your bed, we have launched a thorough investigation into the issue upon your departure and found that the bedbugs were brought to our hostel via the contaminated luggage of another guest in your room who had stayed in a hostel which was infected. All our beds are brand new (less than 3 months old), good quality hypoallergenic, anti-dustmite mattresses and cleaned daily. It was most unfortunate that an external source brought the bed bugs in. We have since fumigated and sterilized all the beds in your room and the surronding rooms, as well as all surfaces in the common areas. The issue has not occured again in the 2 weeks since your check-out, and we will do our best to ensure it never happens again.

We are deeply apologetic with regards to your poor experience and we appreciate your frank advice. We will seek to improve with regards to our cleaning procedures and be more alert with regards to potential contamination by external luggages. Thank you.

Five Stones Hostel Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sendai, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

I really enjoyed staying there.
The receptionists were very friendly especially Win and Isabel were very helpful. They gave me lots of information in detail. That's why I managed to go to four beaches.
The location was very convenient so that I walked from FSH to many tourist spots in the Civic District, the Singapore river, Chinatown and Marina Bay. As they gave me an appropriate map to hang around. Also, it is close to a bus stop and three MRT stations (incl. City Hall).
The restaurants which FSH recommended were great, their suggestion is reliable.
The mattress was perfect, the shower booth with shampoo and shower foam was comfortable, free laundry with washing powder was very helpful and the individual reading light was very useful.
I am extremely grateful for FSH keeping the hostel clean, comfortable and hospitable.
Thanks a million !!!! I will be staying in FSH again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

I stayed at the hostel for four wonderful nights while in Singapore, the staff werew very friendly and ever so helpful they helped me a lot in getting around. The place itself is in a great location very near to the shops and the underground as well as the local entertainment and bars. The facilities are well maintained and very clean and the facilities inside the hostel are some of the best I have seen, The free wifi is also a big bonus because we all like to stay in touch with someone si I would highly recomend this to other travellers and backpackers.

Thank you for all you did to make me welcome and my stay so pleasant it was like being in my own home.

Regards
Dr John Smith.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
FiveStonesHostel, Owner at Five Stones Hostel, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Hi John, thanks for your kind words. We always love having more guests like you and we hope to host you the next time you visit Singapore!
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

I had an excellent trip starting from this place.
The stuffs are kind and helpful.
All possible facilities are available to make our stay as cosy as possible.
Love it a loooooooooot
And the location is perfect for night life, cuisines and shopping.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rachelincity
Hi rachelincity, thanks for your luurrrve! Come back soon okay? :)
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

I stayed at the hostel for one night just before flying out the next morning. The staff were all very courteous and took special efforts to make my stay very comfortable. The rooms and beds are pretty comfortable, even for a big guy like me. The place is clean and the free laundry was a real help.

Room Tip: Though it didn't bother me, I stayed on the floor with the TV and guests were watching movies un...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Matt_in_SG
FiveStonesHostel, Owner at Five Stones Hostel, responded to this review, December 28, 2011
Hi Matt, thanks for the great review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay save for the noisy TV. We have places numerous signs around to remind guests to lower the TV volume after 11pm, and we will take extra care in the future to provide more reminders. :) Hope to host again if you come back to Singapore.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

Had a very good experience staying at 5 stones hostels. All the amenities are very clean especially the toilet to me is 5 stars!! Good service from the crews also like Isabel and Jane for looking after my laptop. Very near to Clarke Quay MRT, really within 5 miniutes of walk. Room and beds are comfortable. However, the shower temperature is quite hard to control and 2nd floor's room beside the living room a bit noisy during night. Will defintely my 1st choice next time come to Singapore!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank desmond_fantasy
Hi Desmond, thanks for your good review! For the shower heater, we have since put up more signs to remind guests to switch on the heaters before they bath, to ensure optimal temperatures. Will also remind guests to keep their volume down after 11pm, especially those in the lounge. Thanks for your feedback which will help us to improve. :) Hope to have you stay with us again the next time!
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

To say I was pleasantly surprised by my stay at the 'Five Stones' would be somewhat of an understatement. Accommodation all over Singapore is expensive so the price of the bed is actually very reasonable. It was still a bed in a room full of beds. But it was a clean room, a comfy bed, a decent breakfast and a really chilled out and friendly atmosphere. After only a night, I found myself extremely happy to have been unable to secure an overpriced private room anywhere in the city.

I stayed for three nights and felt very much at home the whole time. Great location too. Close to Clarke Quay, Chinatown (for chicken heads, yum!) and the MRT for everywhere else in the city.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Hi Ric,

thanks for your awesome review! We are happy that you ended up staying with us, and getting great value out of your stay. Speaking of chicken heads, have you tried the chicken feet too? :) Will look forward to having you again the next time!