“New tea experience”

Yixing Xuan Teahouse
Ranked #21 of 508 Shopping in Singapore
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Few have experienced the ambience and the highly therapeutic effects of the traditional art of Chinese tea making in an authentic Chinese teahouse. In fact, avid Chinese tea drinkers are known to pursue the perfect tea leaf as fervently as connoisseurs of fine wines. At our Tea Workshops, you will learn about: 1. Chinese culture, Arts and the History of Tea 2. Recognising and using the various kinds of tea leaves and equipment 3. Preparing tea the traditional way 4. Tea and its relationship to your health. Come and participate in our tea workshop today!
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“New tea experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Had a marvelous hour at the Tea House. Great advice and lesson in tea ceremony. Well situated on the outskirts of Chinatown. Highly recommended!

Visited July 2013

Canberra, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Wonderful atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

As a tea aficionado, I was very keen to visit this place. I was greeted as soon as I walked in and was invited to sample some of the teas. The gentleman who served me was very polite and explained to me the menu and the pricing structure. After selecting my three teas, he took the time to explain how Chinese tea tasting works. He gave very nice and clear step-by-step instructions, and allowed me to try under his supervision to make sure I got it right.

The atmosphere of the place was very quiet, but it was a fantastic experience. I am definitely going to make this a regular stop on my future visits to Singapore.

2 Thank Bajar
Singapore
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Good tea with new makeover”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

This teahouse is a good lunching and tea place. Good atmosphere, good music and good food. Teatime at about 3pm is a good quiet time and you can try some of the house tea, beauty of theeast.

1 Thank Rick T
Allentown, PA
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Beautiful tea and great service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I wandered into the Yixing Xuan Teahouse by myself. I've been very interested in learning more about tea during my time in Asia. I've been interested in purchasing some serious Chinese tea equipment before returning home. My first sense was that the workers in the store were only interested in running classes for large groups. Individuals were not as important. But that mood seemed to change as I asked more questions and was browsing the pots and cups. The store brewed me some delicious oolong. I then left had lunch to think over purchases and then came back. When I returned, the owner was having a cup of tea himself. I had not talked to him before, so I was quite pleased when he asked me to sit down and join him. After talking for awhile I began browsing again. I ended up purchasing much more stuff than I intended to, but I'm very happy with what I bought. All of their merchandise was quite beautiful. I don't get the sense that they sell low quality - or the stuff that is of lesser value Yixing Xuan tells the purchaser about up front. So much stuff in Asia is crap that is marked up for tourists. I know this isn't the case. Their tea is also very beautiful The green tea, especially was smooth and soothing. I am very glad I stopped in at this store and I aml looking forward to tasting Asia again back home.

1 Thank Speechyguy
Miami Beach, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“HandsOn & Educational Tea Workshop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I could not recommend this family-operated tea workshop more. I stumbled upon Yixing Xuan teahouse on Tripadvisor and wanted to try something a bit different than visiting the mainstream tourist attractions around Singapore. I sent Charlene an email last minute and she accommodated me for the workshop and dimsum in the late afternoon.

Did you know tea can be categorized into four different types of leaves and all come from one plant? Prior to this class, I was so confused when purchasing teas from fancy, trendy tea shops. Charlene discusses each type of tea and how they differ, including health benefits, flavors, smells, etc. She demonstrated how to enjoy tea (Chinese-style), warming the purple sand teapot, timing for steeping each tea, and how many times the leaves can be reused. Then she encouraged me to make my own tea!

Excellent class, knowledgeable teacher, hands on and educational tea workshop. I would highly recommend it to all travelers who want a break from the typical site seeing around the city.