“Worst service ever.”

Oasia Hotel Novena, Singapore by Far East Hospitality
Ranked #41 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
“Worst service ever.”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I've stayed at oasia a couple of times and it was very pleasant. I loved the location and proximity to amenities - it's directly next to novena square so food and groceries are a short stroll away. More importantly, the service has never failed neither has the comfort of the room and its exclusivity.

The bed and the room is very comfortable. So thinking with the other pleasant stays in mind, i booked the room for a birthday surprise and a getaway from the hustle and bustle on New Year's Eve. Granted it was New Year's Eve and I understand that many people will have parties at the hotel, however at 4am our neighbors were still yelling and shrieking with like hyenas. We decided to call the front desk to get them to lower their volume. They said they would be sending a security guard up "again", so did that mean that other people had complained? Come 10 minutes, the noise was still going on strong. Another call to the front desk had the lady asking if it was not our next door neighbor but a few doors down instead. Out of curiosity I went out of the room and waited at the lobby, another 10 minutes, no security guard in sight on our level. The horrendous discovery was that the noise was coming from 4 or 5 doors down and there were people sitting OUTSIDE the room talking. How the rooms in between us tolerated it was beyond me. Is this a chalet?!

Went down to the front desk who told me that they were at full occupancy and that they would send a security guard up. In the end, the kind porter had to accompany us back to check out the situation but to no avail. Comforted by the initiative taken by the porter we tolerated the noise which continued until 9am the next morning. There were definitely more than 4people in that room for sure with more outside it.

after the noise calmed down, we realised that the walls were eerily thin when we heard our neighbours television loud and clear, down to the drawing of a sword. When we shared with rani at the club checkout desk about the sleepless night, the lady just did a quick drawl and said "our apologies", and a very minor fault - no one wished us happy new year as we checked out. To add, the porter (different one) outside tried to shove us the cab he called for the people before us who he let board an uncalled cab. We had not asked for a called cab at all because the cabs were streaming in slowly but steadily. If we were not local, we would have been cheated and paid for the booking which we had not made. The cab was later given to some tourists with the same line he used on us "I've called a cab for you"

Worst stay ever. Zero service recovery. Our only request upon check in was for a quiet room which the club check in agreed to provide. If it was impossible to provide, please tell your guests up front. And at the checkout, we were just looking for someone to listen to our woe about the night and perhaps provide some assurance but that they would look into the thin walls but there was none. even worse, they tried to cheat us?! If they were honest about the cab we would have taken it. It may seem like a minor fault with the cab but it does say a lot about the staff and the way they were trained.

Will never stay at this oasis of disappointment again, tourists please beware.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank joysss
Oasia_Hotel_SG, General Manager at Oasia Hotel Novena, Singapore by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Joysss,

Thank you for your review on your return stay to Oasia Hotel.

On the outset, please accept our sincere apologies and the regret that is felt for the displeasure that we have put you through and that your overall experience was marred by the deficiencies in service and standards during your recent stay.

We will follow through on the areas of concern and corrective measures will be put in place to ensure that there is no future repetition. I would also like to assure you that the experience is definitely not a true reflection of our standards and can only seek your indulgence on this occasion.

I thank you again for your kind understanding and look forward to having another opportunity to regain your confidence and provide you with a true Oasia experience and be of service to you in the near future.

Kind regards,
Richard Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (707)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Had a staycation with my friends in the Club Room at Oasia Hotel to usher in the New Year. The Hotel is very easily accessible via MRT station and it's close proximity to Orchard and the three nearby shopping malls were a great incentive. Came too early for check-in (check-in's at 2) but the front desk people were happy enough to take care of our luggage while we roamed around the Novena area. After we checked in, we were brought up to the room which was abit small but felt extremely cosy and comfortable. It's large window area was super amazing as we get to view a large span of the Bukit Timah Area (we opted for the Bukit Timah view) which looked spectacular at night and in the early morning. There were amazing amenities provided like speakers, a coffee machine and a really big television which made it really easy for five of us to watch the television. We also enjoyed the clubroom benefits such as complimentary breakfast (sadly only just for two people), free drinks from 6pm-8pm and free mini bar! They had two pools one at Level 8 which housed the outdoor pool, gym and sauna and another at Level 22 which had an indoor pool and hot tub. Since it was raining heavily that day we decided to have a dip in the indoor pool. It was silly of us i admit, but the water was freezing cold. We initially thought it was because of the rain. But the hot tub served as a great refuge from the coldness. The next morning we decided to go for a swim again but to our dismay the water was still freezing cold although it was in the late morning. Didn't try out the outdoor pool though! One problem we had was the lack of towels that were available at the pool area. During the first swim, there was absolutely no towel hence we had to brave through a restaurant, the cold lobby lift and our cold room before we could call housekeeping to get the extra towels. The fact that we had to go through the restaurant first before we could reach the swimming pool which made it extremely awkward for us as we were in our bathing trunks and we were dripping wet while there were real customers who were doing business and eating in the restaurant. We highly recommend a heater to be installed in the indoor pool so that the water would at least be lukewarm and comfortable enough for us to have a dip! Had an amazing stay though, thanks for the great experience would definitely recommend the place to any of my foreign friends or anyone looking for a staycation!

Room Tip: Read some reviews that the corner rooms are abit bigger. Get the Bukit Timah view, it was really mag...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Oasia_Hotel_SG, General Manager at Oasia Hotel Novena, Singapore by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Ohflosseee,

Thank you for your review and we are delighted that you have enjoyed your overall experience during your recent stay at Oasia Hotel.

We appreciate your feedback on some areas that you highlighted and will see how best we can improve on them.

We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future.

Teo Joo Leng
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I had a great stay for 2 nights in the hotel. Despite a superb location (MRT station is just at the basement of hotel and surrounded by shopping malls), I think the facilities and amenities of the hotel is excellent. I asked for a corner room during my booking and the hotel really reserved the room for me whereby I can have a nice pool and city view, though the room size is a bit smaller compared to other non-corner rooms. Nevertheless the room is spacious for 4 of us (2 adults and 2 small kids) and the most important the room is clean. I will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Higher floor (above 8th) can have a nicer view since the swimming pool is located at 8th floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear CPS1205,

Thank you for your positive review and we are happy to know that Oasia Hotel has surpassed your expectations during your recent stay.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

As a long staying guest of this hotel, with stays in January (10 nights), August-October (more than 60 nights), and a final one in December (14 nights); I feel I am qualified to comment on the state of this hotel's affairs. One word to sum it all up: TERRIBLE

My initial nights in the hotel back in January were relatively pleasant , but that was due to me having spent most of my time out of the hotel. I must say standards have deteriorated since then.

My long stay frm August to October was one that was not lacking in incidents with many encounters with rude staff, and rather appalling standards of hygiene (urine streaks in the bathroom frm previous guests, bathrooms that were not washed etc) .

However,the incident that stood out most was when my girlfriend was recuperating in the room alone after undergoing dental surgery at the medical center next door. A creepy, over enthusiastic staff member showed up at the door to ask if we needed to restock the minibar. My girlfriend said no, but he refused to leave and started asking her personal questions abt herself. She felt very uncomfortable and told him to leave. Instead, he tried to force his way into the room. Luckily, my girlfriend managed to slam the door shut on him.

We were both horrified. We felt threatened and wanted to speak to someone to address our concerns. However, attempts to reach the general manager Richard Lee were futile.

Luckily,we managed to contact Mr Raphael Saw, Director of Hospitality at Far East, who was actually abt to leave Singapore for Hong Kong. Mr Saw very kindly reassured us that he would see to it that the hotel wld find out who the culprit was, and offered us a room change to give us better peace of mind. We agreed, and felt much better after that.

Another incident that also left us very shocked was when we returned to our room one night, and found a huge cockroach scurrying across the bed. I smashed the cockroach when it jumped onto the floor. (see picture) We were quite disgusted, and immediately rang up the front desk and asked to speak to the duty manager, Joseph. However, instead of apologizing, Joseph told us in a condescending manner that the hotel would investigate the matter and hung up the phone. We were furious. I called back and asked for a room change - we were not prepared to go to bed with a smashed cockroach in the room. After much deliberation, Joseph said he would do that. It was nearly 2 am in the morning when we finished changing rooms. We were exhausted.

The next day, we asked to speak to Mr Richard Lee, the general manager, to address our concerns. We were told that he was having a busy day and would call us back at his nearest availability. Once again, we never did hear back from him.

I must stay that I am quite surprised that an esteemed organization like Far East Hotels would allow such an incapable general manager to manage one of the latest additions to its stirling crop of hotels. When I stayed at Fullerton Bay hotel and hosted numerous guests there, Mr Giovanni Viterale and his staff provided much more professional and better service.

Oasia Hotel has so much potential and would be so much better if it were not by incompetent management and staff.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank LJH323
Oasia_Hotel_SG, General Manager at Oasia Hotel Novena, Singapore by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Hsj88,

Thank you for your review and feedback on your experience at Oasia Hotel Singapore.

At Oasia Hotel Singapore, we strive to provide a warm and comfortable experience for all our guests and it is regretful to hear of the unpleasant experiences that you have encountered. Please allow me to assure you that your feedback has been taken very seriously and we are reviewing all the areas that you have highlighted. We are hopeful that we will have another opportunity to serve you again and regain your confidence with us during your next stay here.

Once again, we thank you for your comments.

Teo Joo Leng
Reviewed December 29, 2012

At the basement is the Novena Mrt station and two stops away to Orchard. The hotel is surrounded with shopping mall and medical centre.

I have a great view at club room. Nice simple design and clean spacious room. Bathroom is neat with very basic amenities. But the hot water pressure is low. Includes complimentary wifi, mini bar, breakfast and cocktail. Good selection tv channels but the radio channels doesn’t work although call to fix it. Sometimes there is one thing disturb me is the room has no soundproof.

Have two pools – club floor and 8th floor. Basic facility at gym but the steam and sauna is mixed gender.

Simple menu at Zaffron and in room dining. Food is fine. Recommended by the staff to try pistachio olive cake but it is dry.

Overall, my stay is good but not excellent.

Room Tip: Try to request a room which no children next door as I mentioned that the room has no soundproof.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dera SwennySG,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We have noted your feedback concerning the absence of the radio channels and the soundproof and will ensure that this is corrected.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Hong Kong
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Everything about this hotel was good. Although we stayed with my toddler son with a crib in the hotel room, there was still enough space to move around. The decoration is stylish and modern, and the price was very reasonable considering we went during high season. My only minor complaint is the room walls were quite thin, we could hear clearly what our neighbors were saying! Lucky everyone slept early on our floor!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank miffymiffy
Dear miffymiffy,

Thank you for staying with us at Oasia Hotel and we are happy to know that you had pleasant experience with us.

We are implementing measures to minimize our issues concerning the sound proofing and ensure that our guests have a more comfortable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife and i wanted a nice weekend getaway. Checked ourselves into hotel for a night... Club Room. We read from hotel's website the perks Club Room guests are entitled to was free drinks and alcohol throughout the stay at all times.

Disappointment number one:
Upon checking in, the front desk insisted it was not provided but they relented reluctantly (we showed them the listed perks on their website... still they challenged my knowledge of English language). The debate lasted 15 mins.

Disappointment number two:
Dropped our bags, went to the pool at The Living Room. Asked for two beers and again we had to explain this was already approved during check-in a few mins ago. Again we had to go through the whole process of explaining. They eventually agreed 'out of goodwill'. We didn't ask for something out of the ordinary, why would it be considered as 'out of goodwill' !?!?

Disappointment number three:
Went back to room, took turns to wash up. Within mins water starts to overflow in the bathroom floor. I cannot believe the bathroom was choked !!!

Turned off the shower but water kept flowing out of the bathroom into the room and outside of the room !!! It was like an unstoppable Tsunami. All hell broke loose.

Disappointment number four:
Called front desk. They sent up technician. Technician investigated and told us ok, he repaired and it won't happen again.

However, the entire room was still wet. Again i called front desk. Front desk suggested house keeping to dry up our room. I was like what the hell !?!? A decent hospitality approach and corrective action is to quickly send the manager up with the technician, immediately recommend change of room, and have the bell boy help us with the move. None of these were suggested. I had to insist. Can you believe it !?!?

Disappointment number five:
We had dinner at The Living Room. We had Fish & Chips and Laksa.

Fish tasted weird. Crayfish in Laksa was not fresh. We feedback to staff but no one came to apologise. Nevermind.

After the above five disappointments... we decided to pack up and left the hotel after dinner. Yes, WE DIDN'T STAY THE NIGHT. The next day we returned to have lunch at the hotel before checking-out. The buffet selection was limited. They have a sushi bar but only have three choices. I asked for salmon belly and the chef replied me 'That's all i have'. I was dumbfounded.

If you stay at this hotel whether by choice or forced... i highly recommend walking to one of the malls next to the hotel where there are a lot of good restaurants and a lot cheaper too.

Room Tip: If you are staying in the Club Room catagory, ask for rooms facing the greenery because if you have...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank uncontactable
Oasia_Hotel_SG, General Manager at Oasia Hotel Novena, Singapore by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear uncontactable ,

Thank you for your review and please allow me to apologize for your unfavourable experience whilst a guest at Oasia Hotel.

We will review the areas of concern and put in place corrective measures into all areas as highlighted to ensure that there is no future repetition.

We hope that we will be given another opportunity to be of service to you again.